Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Gert K A
sage

Reged: 07/16/12

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Aperture.. who cares new
      #5639706 - 01/23/13 10:43 PM Attachment (84 downloads)

So I went silly and got myself a TS 50mm ED, and that for Visual mainly lol
This one is from TeleskopService but it comes from different brands (Stellarvue has it too)

Problem for me is to squeeze as much sky as I can out of casual opportunities, having no garden and no windows to speak of,
I decided to go crazy with portability figuring any sky is better than no sky.

I know that I will suffer major light loss in this little fellah and truly if all I get is a bit of crater on the moon Iím fine (at least thatís what I tell myself)
Iím sure I will get more though, after all with a 32mm I get the famous bino 10x50 and I know there are possibilities in that.

Portable it is. Hold your horses, I can fit the scope itself, a star diagonal, a 45į diagonal (ah the luxury), a 2.5x Barlow,
2 fixed eyepieces of choice, a red dot finder and a 8-24 zoom all in a Camera box no bigger than 12Ē by 9Ē
For mount I use a real cheap alu/plastic photo tripod and Iím good to go.
I do have a sturdier one but its heavy so I prefer the weight of the cheap one.

First light: A little curse for a little scope, tonight I got a fluffy sky with a rare hole in the cover here and there,
but enough to get a quick peak at the moon (Sharp as a whistle). The scope looks promising, so I'm happy.

Iím sure all of this has made some cringing going on, but did I mention.. itís soo cute

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CJK
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: Northeast TN
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: Gert K A]
      #5639721 - 01/23/13 10:48 PM

LOVE it.

-- Chris

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
      #5639726 - 01/23/13 10:51 PM

That is a cute little scope. hey, as long as you can observe with it, it doesn't matter. I kind of like it. Great for a quick grab a peak at the moon thingie.

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

Re: Aperture.. who cares [Re: newtoskies]
      #5639798 - 01/23/13 11:47 PM

An adorable baby you got there! I'm with you 100% in the 'nifty fifty ultralight' club. My ABS plastic Galileoscope 50mm F/10 Achromat is actually one of of my favorite and most frequently used scopes, funny enough! It is just so convenient to keep it handy and to whisk it outside, especially for those times when I might just need a quick peek to satisfy me in between various errands and tasks (and for hunting down solar spots during the day with a Baader white light filter too, just something for you to think about in case you are not doing so already! ). Adding an Orion slow motion adaptor between the scope and the tripod (Baader sells almost the same one under the name witty I believe) has helped a lot. It is amazing what even a 50mm can show you. Aperture schmaperture!

Gert K A
sage

Reged: 07/16/12

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5639831 - 01/24/13 12:13 AM

Thanks guys

Ahh man I did look at the Witty and had it in my shopping cart but skipped it last minute due to the cause that it looked fiddly.
So that actually works, good to hear of it.
Darn now I just got to go shopping soon again, the drudge lol

A sun filter of sorts will come, in time though. I know next to nothing of solar observing especially the gear it entails
and need time to figure whatís best to get also it all looks kind of pricey so I donít want to mess that up.
But one should have some sort of means to view our local star I guess.

tnakazon
sage

Reged: 06/26/10

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5639832 - 01/24/13 12:13 AM Attachment (42 downloads)

Yup, I love small scopes too. Portability rules.

My smallest scope in my arsenal of scopes (all 150mm or less) is also a 50mm Galileoscope, but it gives sharp views of the Moon and planets when used in conjuction with budget Celestron Huygens and Ramsden eyepieces.

Here is my scope at a bus stop in Helsinki (Finland), mounted on a lightweight Slik camera tripod. Easy to pack inside a backpack as carry-on luggage on trips to Europe.

pogobbler
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: Central Indiana, USA
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: tnakazon]
      #5639889 - 01/24/13 01:04 AM

Whenever I'm using a small scope and thinking the view would be better in a bigger one, I remind myself that Galileo would probably have killed kittens to look through any of my scopes.

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

#5639900 - 01/24/13 01:17 AM

Hmmm, a top quality Baader white light solar filter for under 40 or so Euros shipped, that would give you crisp views of the surface of Sol right as we head into her peak activity cycle, and a whole subforum to get you going http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/solar (I am such a little devil on the shoulder, eh )
Let's just say you owe it to your new baby of the family there. He needs his occasional doses of vitamin D!

http://www.astro-engineering.com/prod/solar-observing-filters/telescopes/bino...
http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/language/en/manufacturers_id/92...
http://agenaastro.com/optical-accessories/filters/solar-filters.html?dir=asc&...

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51įN 4įE
      #5640007 - 01/24/13 04:38 AM

Quote:

I know that I will suffer major light loss in this little fellah and truly if all I get is a bit of crater on the moon Iím fine (at least thatís what I tell myself)
Iím sure I will get more though, after all with a 32mm I get the famous bino 10x50 and I know there are possibilities in that.

With a 10x50 binocular you'd get a significantly brighter and more contrasty image. That's what using two eyes does for you.

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5640033 - 01/24/13 05:34 AM

Gert, that is a really nice setup and I'm sure you are going to enjoy it a lot. It also makes a wonderful compliment to your larger Newt.

Ed D

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5640046 - 01/24/13 05:49 AM

Quote:

Iím sure all of this has made some cringing going on, but did I mention.. itís soo cute

It is a cutie..

I will be interested to see how it works out for you. My experience with scopes around 60mm is that they provide enjoyable views but my eye misses the aperture of an 80mm.

Jon

Cames
sage

Reged: 08/04/08

#5640106 - 01/24/13 07:11 AM

Gert,
On crisp, clear winter nights when those with the large apertures cringe at the effect of the nightís turbulent atmosphere and its scintillation on their images, your brave little soldier will experience hardly a hiccup.

Be proud and confident that your 50 mm champion will deliver gorgeous star images and a velvety dark background that could be the envy of those tied to the behemoths even under adverse conditions. While they are calculating whether it will be worth the setup time, cool-down time and twinkle of the night, you have the advantage of agility. You can decide on a whim to take advantage of any clear sky. Remember the maxim: "If you aren't out there looking, you probably won't see anything".
------
C

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: Cames]
      #5640196 - 01/24/13 08:46 AM

Wow, this would be a great travel scope setup. I saw many of those type camera tripods at Goodwill for $10.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5640244 - 01/24/13 09:21 AM

Quote:

Wow, this would be a great travel scope setup. I saw many of those type camera tripods at Goodwill for $10.

There is quite a variation in Goodwill tripods.

Having used a number of "cheap" camera tripods, in the long run, a fine scope like this one deserves a decent quality mount, one that is smooth and stable. A scope like this needs a mount that works well at over 100x.

The Bogen 3001 is a good quality mount that shows up used that is popular among birders. My favorite is an old Hercules Quick-set Senior. It's an oldie but very well made and solid. I paid $5 for it at a garage sale. Not much money but in the time it took me to find it, I saw hundreds of tripods that were better left alone.

Jon

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5640287 - 01/24/13 09:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There is quite a variation in Goodwill tripods.

Having used a number of "cheap" camera tripods, in the long run, a fine scope like this one deserves a decent quality mount, one that is smooth and stable. A scope like this needs a mount that works well at over 100x.

The Bogen 3001 is a good quality mount that shows up used that is popular among birders. My favorite is an old Hercules Quick-set Senior. It's an oldie but very well made and solid. I paid $5 for it at a garage sale. Not much money but in the time it took me to find it, I saw hundreds of tripods that were better left alone.

Jon

I have my AT72ED mounted to a Slik 700DX pro tripod on a Universal Astronomics Dwarf Star Mount. I really like the Dwarf Star it works perfectly.

Ken

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5640466 - 01/24/13 11:22 AM

Is it the scope or the Burger your trying to bring to our attention

tnakazon
sage

Reged: 06/26/10

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: NeilMac]
      #5640524 - 01/24/13 11:56 AM

Quote:

Is it the scope or the Burger your trying to bring to our attention

Both - I wanted to show that the GalileoScope makes a good travelscope and can be taken to exotic places. The Finnish burger was not bad, as I recall.

CJK
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: Northeast TN
      #5640860 - 01/24/13 02:46 PM

Quote:

Both - I wanted to show that the GalileoScope makes a good travelscope and can be taken to exotic places. The Finnish burger was not bad, as I recall.

Finland is probably a little less exotic to Gert than to the rest of us, as he's just got to hop over Sweden to get there.

-- Chris

Jerry-rigged
sage

Reged: 01/30/12

Loc: Coastal Texas.
      #5640863 - 01/24/13 02:49 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Looks like Fun! I built up a 50mm scope out of an old bino lens, fl maybe 200mm I was supprised what I could see thru it in my orange/red zone skys. Someday I plan on mounting it to my dob as a finder, but in the mean time it is a fun ultra-light scope. Here it is on a light photo tripod with a 12mm X-cel for about 16x power.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Aperture.. who cares new [Re: Jerry-rigged]
      #5640941 - 01/24/13 03:39 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Cute! Way back when we used to build little scopes out of surplus photocopier lenses, so-called copy-scopes. I used this one for many years to track satellites.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3295

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics