Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
lintonius
sage

Reged: 12/13/05

Loc: south-central Utah
Re: Chaco Canyon new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5622133 - 01/14/13 05:09 AM

Quote:

To answer your question: It is very difficult to reach--one of the most remote and dark places in Utah. There is a marked turnoff south of Hanksville on Route 95. A graded road takes you to a ranger station--and definitely stop there for info. After that there are several approaches, all requiring 4x4. My favorite is the Maze Overlook (you can camp there), but that requires going down the infamous Flint Trail, one of the scariest roads in the American West. Great campsite and beyond fabulous observing. Next day scramble down into the Maze and head for the South Fork of Horse Canyon. I think the park now calls this Pictograph Canyon. Probably six to eight miles round trip--they have maps. The country is more beautiful than Chaco, and darker, but lacks the archeological interest. I went down in a Piper Cub next to the road just before the Maze Overlook in 1964 while exploring for National Geographic. It's a marvelous trip, both for observing and looking at the pictographs. PM me for further info, or see "The Maze and Aura," in The Abstract Wild.

Dark skies.

Jack Turner

The Maze District is on the east end of Wayne county... my new home... and I'm looking forward to exploring it often, Jack!
My current vehicle selection will limit my options considerably!
But many of my new friends are well equipped. ;^)
Linton

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

Re: Chaco Canyon new [Re: lintonius]
      #5622186 - 01/14/13 06:59 AM

I once made the mistake of going to Hovenweep to study/observe constellations-a mistake as just too many stars to see the overall outline.
The area is isolated and very dark, but a small light dome to the east from Cortez.
This is the darkest sky I have ever seen.

edj

Seldom
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
Re: Chaco Canyon new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5623737 - 01/15/13 01:19 AM

Maybe getting off topic, but Natural Bridges National Monument is a certified dark sky site. Linton, it's on your way to Hovenweep, but anywhere on a highway shoulder of SR95 should so almost as well.

lintonius
sage

Reged: 12/13/05

Loc: south-central Utah
Re: Chaco Canyon new [Re: Seldom]
      #5623757 - 01/15/13 01:52 AM

Quote:

Maybe getting off topic, but Natural Bridges National Monument is a certified dark sky site. Linton, it's on your way to Hovenweep, but anywhere on a highway shoulder of SR95 should so almost as well.

Natural Bridges is an incredible place, Seldom... day or night!
I haven't done any observing there yet. But I will.
About anywhere within 100 mile radius could be an IDA "dark site"...
If only there was some light pollution for them to reduce.
Heck, we've held our first 3 Heritage Starfests *in or just outside* neighboring towns.
And it was darker than my 90-minute-drive dark sky sites in SoCal.
I don't mean to gloat about it...I'm just happy!
Linton

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Chaco Canyon new [Re: lintonius]
      #5624100 - 01/15/13 09:59 AM

Another vote for Bridges. The campground is actually fine, although the ranger and a lot of folks advised going further into the park. I set up a lot of gear last May and it was more convenient to stay in one place. I had feared for my fellow campers but they were a dark folk while I was there. There were no light domes of any kind. It's about twice as far from Cortez as is Hovenweep and over a range of mountains. Simply a spectacular place to observe. The ability to wake up in the morning and hike through a beautiful national monument doesn't hurt, either.

There is also some water there - not much but a little - at the visitor center.

berobertsmd

Reged: 09/28/09

Loc: Brandon, Mississippi
Re: Chaco Canyon new [Re: bunyon]
      #5624344 - 01/15/13 12:50 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

The darkest, clearest, sky I've ever seen was on an early October night along HWY 550, at the Chaco Canyon Exit. It was overwhelming. There were so many stars, I could not get my bearings. The Milky Way was awesome.
At a later day visit to Chaco Canyon in May, we stayed until dark. The sky cleared on a moonless night, and it's DARK in Chaco Canyon.
The road off of 550 is a washboard and it's about 17 or so miles. Of course, all provisions must be taken in, except water.
The National Park Service site is www.nps.gov/chcu/index.htm
Have a wonderful time!

Bruce

johne
sage

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Prescott, AZ.
Re: Chaco Canyon new [Re: berobertsmd]
      #5626962 - 01/16/13 08:32 PM

The monsoon season for New Mexico and Arizona runs from July through to September 30th.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Chaco Canyon [Re: johne]
      #5639802 - 01/23/13 11:50 PM

Not in San Juan County, NM (aka "Colorado Plateau"). The Monsoons are typically over in that sub-region by mid-September. I've even been in late August and only had two one-to-two-hour storms over a 9-day period.

Regards,

Jim

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2119

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics