Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Jobryant
sage

Reged: 01/13/09

Why so little used TMB 92Ls? new
      #5638097 - 01/23/13 12:22 AM

I've been checking online astro classifieds over the past year and have only seen a handful of used 92Ls. Why is this? Is it because majority of the people that have bought a 92L are that happy with it and don't want to sell it? Could it be that there just have not been very many 92Ls sold yet? It seems a bit strange that I have seen quite a bit of the 92ss versions on the used market but not very many 92Ls.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Why so little used TMB 92Ls? new [Re: Jobryant]
      #5638216 - 01/23/13 03:54 AM

The 92L is actually smaller, lighter, and more portable than the 92SS. It is IMO the perfect grab and go. I use it on a photo tripod with a Stellarvue M2 mount, which makes it easy to take anywhere and use for daytime or nighttime viewing. It is built like a tank and the optical quality is top notch. This is the one telescope I would never sell. Quite a few people on CN own one and I think they are probably just as attached to theirs as I am.

I think people buying the 92SS where doing so for AP because of the focuser section that can be removed for that purpose. Then they find out they want to shoot deeper and need to go up to a bigger APO, so out goes the 92mm and in comes the 120mm. I can understand the 92SS being a temporary stopover on the way to AP nirvana.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Why so little used TMB 92Ls? new [Re: Lane]
      #5638430 - 01/23/13 08:52 AM

I cannot imagine upgrading to anything that would combine the level of portability, quality and performance from my 92L. Hence it will stay right here.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5638508 - 01/23/13 09:32 AM

Not many produced, most likely.

There aren't many cemented Burgess 80mm triplets available either, but that doesn't mean much about the scope, one way or the other.

I don't think limited availability used is relevant in assessing anything but relative scarcity.

- Jim

Jobryant
sage

Re: Why so little used TMB 92Ls? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5638621 - 01/23/13 10:38 AM

From a quick web search it looks like the 92L was released in 09 about one year latter than the 92ss. So it's been available for about 4 years now compared to the 5 years of the 92ss correct? Yet I see close to 4 times more 92ss on the used market than the 92L. Is the 92ss just that much better of a seller that there are 4 times as many 92ss sold? I surely thought I'd see an increase in the 92Ls on the used market after they went on sale for $1200 but the sale has appeared to have no effect on it at all. As of now I would have to agree with Jim that there just isn't very many 92Ls produced even though the 92L seems to be quite popular. Maybe someone in the know could shed some light on the number of 92L's sold in a given year compared to the number of 92ss's sold.

frebieAdministrator
Chief assistant to the assistant chief

Reged: 04/29/08

Loc: Neither here nor there.
      #5638641 - 01/23/13 10:48 AM

The current ratio is about a 50/50 split. The 92SS has sold more since its inception simply because it was introduced earlier, so it's probably a 60/40 split in total numbers sold. Exact numbers? That's proprietary information that the competition would probably be very interested in knowing, so my lips are sealed. As a rough guess, . . . somewhere between one and one million.

Jobryant
sage

Re: Why so little used TMB 92Ls? new [Re: frebie]
      #5639092 - 01/23/13 03:19 PM

Thanks for the info Frebie that helps explain things quite a bit.

turtledude1

Reged: 10/08/08

Loc: SW Fla.& SW. NM
      #5639470 - 01/23/13 07:39 PM

I could have purchased either when I got my 92SS; my choice was based clearly on the focuser. A pound or two heavier didn't matter to me.
Russ

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: Why so little used TMB 92Ls? [Re: turtledude1]
      #5639810 - 01/23/13 11:58 PM

That focuser is really nice, and I think if you are doing AP it is a good idea to go that direction. For binoviewing it is definitely the way to go.

However, I am surprised at how good the Crawford style focuser is on the L model. Aimed at Zenith I can focus it easily up or down with a Powermate and a 31 Nagler in the diagonal. The only crawford style focuser I have ever owned that could that. With my 80ED I have to lock the focuser to keep the 31mm all by itself from pulling the focus tube all the way down.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5640160 - 01/24/13 08:15 AM

I chose the 92L for grab-n-go and visual use only. Very nice little scope, quite capable. The focuser was very good as well for its task, no issues. A very close friend of mine was retiring from his stressful (Nuclear!) job and wanted to get back into observing without hassles. He had previously had the Meade 10 sct and was quite accomplished in his day. He took one look through my easy to set-up and use 92L and begged me for it. He knew I had plenty of other scopes to fall back on. Well, it did indeed get him back into observing, he loves it! Problem is, I miss that little 92!!! I do get to share views with him as a consolation! Hopefully Karma will reward my good deed...so far...I'm still waiting!

turtledude1

Reged: 10/08/08

Loc: SW Fla.& SW. NM
Re: Why so little used TMB 92Ls? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5641133 - 01/24/13 05:44 PM

No matter how you slice it their both TMB 92's and either will do an awesome job. One of the best bang for the buck scopes out there in my opinion.
Russ

joelimite
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/08

Loc: Fayetteville, AR
Re: Why so little used TMB 92Ls? new [Re: turtledude1]
      #5644935 - 01/26/13 07:12 PM

I shan't ever part with my TMB 92L. I bought it used last year and it performs admirably as a grab-and-go, widefield scope. It's killer under dark skies. Why they rarely turn up used, I couldn't tell you. I'd guess it's a combination of low production numbers and satisfied customers.

AlienRatDog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/15/05

Loc: Ann Arbor
Re: Why so little used TMB 92Ls? new [Re: joelimite]
      #5645003 - 01/26/13 07:48 PM

Do they come with tube rings?

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: Why so little used TMB 92Ls? new [Re: AlienRatDog]
      #5645023 - 01/26/13 07:56 PM

No rings.

I use the Stellarvue Clamshell on mine, fits perfectly.

It comes with the dovetail, which can be removed if you want to put on some other kind of dovetail.

joelimite
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/08

Loc: Fayetteville, AR
      #5645026 - 01/26/13 07:58 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

That's what I use too, Lane.

Lane
Post Laureate

#5645031 - 01/26/13 08:00 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

There are several mounting holes for a finder on the clamshell. You can see the bracket here and some more holes in front of those.

t.r.
Post Laureate

#5645589 - 01/27/13 08:12 AM

Also, Astronomics has AstroTech rings that match perfectly for that mounting option, it is what I used.

Jobryant
sage

Re: Why so little used TMB 92Ls? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5649703 - 01/29/13 05:05 AM

Nice pics guys. Well from the looks of it I should have bought a new 92L when they were on sale for $1200. If they ever go on sale again I'll get a new one but until then the quest for a used one continues.

Jobryant
sage

#5679336 - 02/14/13 12:17 PM

What would be a fair price for a used 92L now days? My reason for asking is I had a guy offer me his 92L but I feel his asking price is a bit too high. Since I started looking I've only seen 4 TMB 92Ls for sale on the used market all priced between $800-$1000 so this is the price range I'm looking at paying for a used 92L. Did the used market price for a 92L recently gone up or should it still be around $1000?

t.r.
Post Laureate

#5679358 - 02/14/13 12:27 PM

I think $800-$1000 is spot on for used, depending on whether it was bought on sale or not by the original owner and how important that is to you. They are certainly worth that price in use!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FirstSight, panhard, star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2530

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics