Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1
MHamburg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/21/06

Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA
Warm Room Ideas? new
      #5636408 - 01/22/13 08:49 AM

I am very interested in what others have done in terms of adding warm rooms to their obs. My obs is a 14' dome on an octagonal base and am thinking of extending a small warm room from one of the sides of the octagon. I have started doodling designs but would greatly appreciate any and all ideas. Schematics and photos would be more than welcome. Thanks.
Michael

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
stmguy
sage

Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
Re: Warm Room Ideas? new [Re: MHamburg]
      #5636416 - 01/22/13 08:56 AM

I'm planning on using my living room for my warm room. Haven't got to that point yet but it seems doable to me with remote control software on the PC
Norm

jmasin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Murphy, TX (DFW)
Re: Warm Room Ideas? new [Re: stmguy]
      #5636423 - 01/22/13 09:00 AM

Quote:

I'm planning on using my living room for my warm room. Haven't got to that point yet but it seems doable to me with remote control software on the PC
Norm

Just VNC into your obs computer from the house (assuming you have network to each).

I don't have an obs yet, but am working on automating/remote-izing my setup... once up and running I simply VNC into the PC and control it via remote desktop, either with another PC, or on the iPad from the couch!

Works great!

Lorence
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/08

#5637200 - 01/22/13 03:50 PM

Quote:

Norm

Seems doable?????

It's the only way to do it.

It was minus 34C here last night. I observed for at least three hours. Never felt the slightest bit of chill.

andyschlei
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/05/06

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Warm Room Ideas? new [Re: Lorence]
      #5637397 - 01/22/13 05:27 PM

I have a warm room off of my roll-off roof. 4" conduits go from the warm room to the base of each scope. This keeps all computing equipment inside and a minimal amount of clutter around the scopes.

I do use VNC for remote control and monitoring (I especially like being able to check status with my iPad). The warm room comes in handy when doing visual observing on cold nights and for the many nights when I am tweaking something and want to see how it operates in the observatory while keeping warm.

Here is an older picture. I've added a permanent PC, a cot, and a storage cupboard.

--Andy

MHamburg
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Warm Room Ideas? new [Re: andyschlei]
      #5638422 - 01/23/13 08:49 AM

Thanks for the replies. At the risk of repeating myself, I want the obs experience separate from the house because it has too many distractions and I have always enjoyed the "other-worldness" of the observatory. Also, I have so many electronic intermediaries now between me and the sky that adding more seems like the wrong direction for me. So I am still open to any new ideas.
Michael

jmasin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Murphy, TX (DFW)
      #5638514 - 01/23/13 09:40 AM

Yeah, sorry I guess we weren't very helpful...

I have just started thinking about my own, and here's some items I've come up with

- Desk/chair etc. (obvious I guess)
- Intercom to the house (although with cell phones and IM this may be not required)
- Bookshelves with any books I need, although most of my manuals and charts are all electronic now
- I plan to have my computer, power supplies and networking equipment all in a nice rack-mount setup (I like the neatness and professional look of such a setup).
- Appropriate number and placement electrical, LAN and Cable/satellite jacks
- I want either duplicate monitors, or a monitor mount such that I can view the status either at the desk or at the scope. I'm mainly an imager but there are times I'm tweaking at the scope but would like to see the full monitor/status/focus etc. This depends on the layout of your obs, my plan is for a rectangular layout with a warm room separated by a window.
- I saw someone online with dual track lighting, some red some white. I think this would be nice as well.

Creature comforts, a small fridge and a small microwave would be nice. That would provide cold/warm drinks when the weather calls for it. I don't personally plan on a cot or anything because I don't plan to snooze there...

I'd like a TV or possibly dual monitors and one I can source over to the TV when there's a game on or something I want to watch (or to encourage the attendance of the girlfriend when I'm lonely )

And of course the walls would be littered with the photos I've already taken

I guess a lot depends on the room (area size) you have free.

Sorry, kind of random, just thinking out loud. I know you probably would enjoy photos more, but I'm getting pretty excited about my own possibilities soon so like thinking about it.

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: Warm Room Ideas? new [Re: jmasin]
      #5638589 - 01/23/13 10:21 AM

I do not image and I also enjoy the solitude of being alone in my own world when observing...

But I use what a friend of mine calls "my mobile warm room".. heated motorcycle clothing..!
Just a heated jacket liner that I wear over a plain t-shirt and under a large sweat shirt...heated socks and a pair of heated glove liners which I purchased one size to small so they fit tight which allows me to still type on my computer in the observatory without removing them...

For less then the price of an Ethos eyepiece..I'm very comfortable down to below zero if I wanted to go out when it was that cold...

Normally I require the temps to be in double digits (10 degrees F or higher)

BTW .. Yes I do have to drag a power cord around with me but that is a very small price to pay to be warm and comfortable..

Bob G

Madratter
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/13

#5638608 - 01/23/13 10:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. At the risk of repeating myself, I want the obs experience separate from the house because it has too many distractions and I have always enjoyed the "other-worldness" of the observatory. Also, I have so many electronic intermediaries now between me and the sky that adding more seems like the wrong direction for me. So I am still open to any new ideas.
Michael

I hear you. There are times where I like to just sit in my observatory doing nothing for a few minutes. I find it very relaxing.

Edited by Madratter (01/23/13 07:06 PM)

MHamburg
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Warm Room Ideas? new [Re: Madratter]
      #5638647 - 01/23/13 10:50 AM

Amen to that! I am interested in any building design ideas anyone might have. I have already "furnished" by observatory to be quite comfortable (in temperate weather!) so I would love to share in people's differing architecture. Thanks again.
Michael

stmguy
sage

Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
Re: Warm Room Ideas? *DELETED* new [Re: MHamburg]
      #5638870 - 01/23/13 12:50 PM

Post deleted by stmguy

jazle

Reged: 05/20/10

Loc: California, USA
      #5639111 - 01/23/13 03:34 PM

My previous warm room was an electric blanket This time, I'm going for all of the creature comforts.

I'm running a 3" conduit between two 12x12x8" junction boxes -- one at the scope, one in the warm room. I plan to have the PC in the warm room with dual monitors and then run two USB extensions and a HDMI feed to the remote keyboard, mouse, and monitor near the scope. I also plan to put up a 40" LCD TV in the observatory and a "smaller" 32" in the warm room. All of my video feeds are HDMI and I'll use a 4x4 switch (about $150 on Amazon) that can switch any input to any (or multiple outputs). Blu-ray, uverse receiver, and all-sky cameras are also part of the video fare.

The warming room will also be fully insulated to minimize the thermal currents outside. This includes using an exterior-grade door and windows.

The room will have two light switches -- one for a florescent fixture during the day or when I'm not particular about night vision, and another going to an outlet that powers a red LED strip light.

A radio is a must. I plan to just use a receiver that has A & B speaker outputs to power stereo speakers on both LCD TV's. The receiver will also be tied into the HDMI matrix so I can pipe the audio stream to either set of speakers if the source happens to have audio (like when watching a movie).

The room itself is 5x7 with a truncated corner. I would like for it to be bigger, but my last observatory wasn't much bigger (about 6.5' square with a huge telescope and pier right in the middle) and it was still usable with creative space management. Getting the cords all tucked into the walls, replacing power strips with multiple duplex outlets, putting some equipment on higher shelves, flat panel monitors mounted to the walls, etc... can all increase the space.

I will be sleeping in my warm room during imaging sessions. I'm tall (6'5") so some options don't work as well for me. One thing I'm investigating is an RV convertible bench/bed. It can be folded up to about 7" deep against the wall when not in use. It can fold down to become a bench, or the back can fold down more to become a bed. It's about $500 though. Another options is the recliner chair.

Da Bear
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/21/06

Loc: Kali-Forn-Ya
Re: Warm Room Ideas? new [Re: jazle]
      #5639184 - 01/23/13 04:18 PM

You could consider a sink if you have the room and could hook up the sewer lines. You'd may also want an enclosed WC (toilet) with an exhuast fan.

Da Bear

1965healy
The Snarkster

Reged: 06/23/07

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Warm Room Ideas? new [Re: Da Bear]
      #5639231 - 01/23/13 04:54 PM

One of the main reasons I built my observatory in town rather at a more remote site was the existing infrastructure. By building the observatory above the central bay of my workshop/2 car garage I was able to move the shop under the observatory, turn the old shop with it's existing bathroom into a warm room and keep the end bay as a garage to house my 65 Austin Healey in. Being able to pop downstairs to get out of the cold, use the loo or grab something warm to drink helps me be a bit more accepting of the LP here in the city. After trucking everything out of town a few times, setting up and trying to stay warm by sitting in the truck rather than at the scope and then loading it all back up and unloading at
home was a pain in the neck and the bladder. I'm 62 now and I've come to enjoy my creature comforts along with my hobbies. The more comfortable you are the more apt you are to stay out observing rather than doing the stay warm/gotta pee shuffle at the scope.

MHamburg
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Warm Room Ideas? new [Re: jazle]
      #5639282 - 01/23/13 05:27 PM

Jazle,
What will ever tempt you to leave it?
Michael

jazle

Reged: 05/20/10

Loc: California, USA
Re: Warm Room Ideas? [Re: MHamburg]
      #5639948 - 01/24/13 02:06 AM

Quote:

Jazle,
What will ever tempt you to leave it?
Michael

Nature's Call

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1136

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics