Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Newington, CT
Shipping relatively small things?
      #5640666 - 01/24/13 01:15 PM

I'm going to need to ship a couple of small items (an Astrotrac plus polar scope, and [separetely] an Astrotrac Wedge).

What would be the most economical (but trackable) way of shipping these items from one US address to another?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/07/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: Thomas Karpf]
      #5640686 - 01/24/13 01:24 PM

Hands down---USPS Parcel Post

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: tag1260]
      #5640729 - 01/24/13 01:44 PM

Excellent. Thank you.

sage

Reged: 11/05/06

Loc: mid tenn
      #5640889 - 01/24/13 03:04 PM

USPS has flat rate padded envelops and small boxes

beats the heck out of the other U***

joe

mogur
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/29/11

Loc: WI
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: 123456]
      #5641122 - 01/24/13 05:36 PM

Economical yes, but tracking with USPS is a joke. It's either delivered or not. No way to tell where your package is at any time in-between!

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: mogur]
      #5641463 - 01/24/13 08:53 PM

Okay, so how would you suggest that I ship a 2-4 lb package to a US address and be able to get actual tracking info?

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: mogur]
      #5641518 - 01/24/13 09:19 PM

USPS doesn't really advertise "Tracking." They do delivery confirmation.

I have mailed at least 40 or 50 items using USPS in the last couple of years alone, and everything has arrived at its destination with no problem.

In fact, it often arrives quicker than with UPS.

I even received a diamond ring (Christmas Present for the assistant astronomer) by the mail.

My bet is that most things that go missing are stolen from doorsteps, but UPS or FedEx don't pay off for this either. They drop and dash and often don't ring the doorbell. If somthing goes missing from a doorstep but their computer says the driver delivered it, they say "Not my problem."

No one should feel like they take more of a risk shipping with USPS than with the commercial carriers.

Just my opinion of course, but I have stopped using UPS and FedEx because their rates have gone crazy.

Billydee
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5641578 - 01/24/13 09:49 PM

Thomas,

The USPS has an edge on small items. Very small items (up to 12 oz) can be mailed at the first class rate (45 cents for the first oz and 20 cents for each additional oz). The real savings comes in Flat Rate Priority Boxes and Envelopes. The Flat Rate means anything that will fit in the box or envelope ships for one low rate. I have shipped 40 lbs counterweights for under $15, FL to CA. The boxes and envelopes are free and you can have them delivered to your home at no cost. You can print the postage and label online and attach it to the free box and the USPS will come to your door and pick it up for free. The price includes delivery confirmation (a simple type of tracking) for free. There is a neat way to insure your item is delivered. Signature Confirmation can be purchase at a low price and the USPS will only deliver the item if a person is at the address to sign for the item (no just leaving it at the door). You can also purchase insurance. You can do all that online and print the label and postage without leaving your house and they will pick it up for free. Just go to USPS.com and check it out.

LUCK, Bill

tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: Billydee]
      #5641624 - 01/24/13 10:10 PM

Quote:

Thomas,

The USPS has an edge on small items. Very small items (up to 12 oz) can be mailed at the first class rate (45 cents for the first oz and 20 cents for each additional oz). The real savings comes in Flat Rate Priority Boxes and Envelopes. The Flat Rate means anything that will fit in the box or envelope ships for one low rate. I have shipped 40 lbs counterweights for under $15, FL to CA. The boxes and envelopes are free and you gcan have them delivered to your home at no cost. You can print the postage and label online and attach it to the free box and the USPS will come to your door and pick it up for free. The price includes delivery confirmation (a simple type of tracking) for free. There is a neat way to insure your item is delivered. Signature Confirmation can be purchase at a low price and the USPS will only deliver the item if a person is at the address to sign for the item (no just leaving it at the door). You can also purchase insurance. You can do all that online and print the label and postage without leaving your house and they will pick it up for free. Just go to USPS.com and check it out.

LUCK, Bill

+1 for flat rate priority mail ( it shows about the same tracking as UPS and the insurance & signature options are reasonable) I just shipped over 40 packages and all arrived fine, about three or four days anywhere in the country. The pickup scheduling is great, don't even have to leave the house.
Rex

Edited by tomcody (01/24/13 10:11 PM)

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: tomcody]
      #5641815 - 01/25/13 12:51 AM

USPS all the way. Price, speed, dependability. Tracking is highly overrated. Pack it well, drop it off, cease worrying.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5641857 - 01/25/13 01:43 AM

Agreed, USPS all the way. I have never had a shipment go wrong using USPS. They are the service that I go to first, Fedex Ground second (delivers on Saturdays).

VĂ­ctor MartĂ­nez
sage

Reged: 02/05/07

Loc: Cádiz - Spain
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: crazyqban]
      #5641903 - 01/25/13 03:19 AM

I have bought quit a lot of astronomy accessories in the EEUU to send Spain, from filters until a 16" primary mirror, and I have always used USPS without the slightest problem.

Al8236
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/18/10

Loc: 48.9173N 122.1390W
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: VĂ­ctor MartĂ­nez]
      #5641918 - 01/25/13 03:57 AM

I've never had a problem with USPS, The only time I've had a problem with tracking was a shipment to China, the tracking stopped when it reached Mainland China and I didn't hear anything until delivery conformation.
I print my shipping labels on-line and it always gives me a tracking number.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5642005 - 01/25/13 07:00 AM

Quote:

I'm going to need to ship a couple of small items (an Astrotrac plus polar scope, and [separetely] an Astrotrac Wedge).

What would be the most economical (but trackable) way of shipping these items from one US address to another?

For something small, USPS Priority is the way I go. For anything larger, FedEx ground...

USPS does offer tracking. When I check the status, it seems to follow the progress reasonably well and provide an accurate delivery date.

Jon

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5642119 - 01/25/13 08:47 AM

I like USPS and for the most part have not had any problems. I do occasionally get mail for one of the neighbors and once or twice one of them got mine. Luckily, in our neighborhood, we usually just walk it over. Really makes me leary about packages though. About three or four times I've gotten a package for another address not even in our zip code--and for the same address/person. I've either driven it over (it was only a couple of miles away) or taken it to the post office. Overall, they do a good job, but with all their cutbacks and budget restraints service does seem to be suffering.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5642259 - 01/25/13 10:11 AM

I use USPS Priority Mail all the time. It doesn't really have tracking but it is fast and inexpensive so there is not much to worry about. For true tracking I recommend either FedEx Ground of FedEx Home Delivery Service which I use for larger packages.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5642325 - 01/25/13 10:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

For something small, USPS Priority is the way I go. For anything larger, FedEx ground...

USPS does offer tracking. When I check the status, it seems to follow the progress reasonably well and provide an accurate delivery date.

Jon

Agreed; USPS does offer tracking. I use Priority set fee boxes for small items. Shipping is quick. Between FedEX & UPS; I've found FedEx to be about 2-3 days faster to my area that UPS.

aonifer

Reged: 12/17/11

Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5642475 - 01/25/13 12:21 PM

Here is the tracking info for a package I sent First Class recently. It used to be that USPS only confirmed delivery, but now they have full tracking. The tracking is free if you print the address label online (you can print it on a regular piece of paper and tape it to the box). It's 85 cents if you take it to the post office. Normally you have to take a first class package to the post office, but eBay apparently has some deal that lets you print it out through them (thus get free tracking).

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: aonifer]
      #5642494 - 01/25/13 12:32 PM

@All: thanks. I think I'm going to have to take the package to the USPS and see which is going to be more cost effective.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5642598 - 01/25/13 01:29 PM

I've been using Stamps.com for a couple of months for USPS. It's $16 a month. It lets me print First Class package postage. This frees me of the expense of running 4 miles to the PO 5-6 times a month, so it's cost effective for me. A plus is I don't have to deal with Shirley, who really doesn't seem to like her job. You can ship 2Kgs. internationally First Class, which can make the difference on a sale. It seems that International First Class isn't much slower than Priority. For valuable or large items USPS is the only practical international service. Priority is fine for the civilized world, but use Expedited for places like Russia and Italy.

FedEx seems to have a better track record than UPS as far as damage goes. The FX Home delivery guys and gals are independent contractors and have to pay their own insurance premiums. May make a difference. I use FX for large stuff destined for the lower 48, where the service is competitive with the USPS. Outside the lower 48 FX is not competitive.

I've had both FX and USPS lose stuff. FX a mount and USPS a C8 (never got out of Newark). Claims experience with both convinced me to go self-insured.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1851

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics