Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Jupiter and that double new
      #5611014 - 01/07/13 10:10 PM

Tonight was actually profitably rewarding as the seeing was 6 Pickering with rarer moments hitting 7/10

That terrific double everyone's been posting about was resolved beautifully. The seeing had its slop but moments of coherent diffraction rings showed the companion steadily with a certain airy disc. Larger aperture reports blue but it was this shadowy grey to me. The primary was a certain rusty orange red. It was captivating in its own right. View was comfortable at 240x but it was split and resolved as low as 173x. This was a fine site.

Thanksgiving weeks 7/10 night allowed profitable views up to 364x on Jupiter but tonight it was capped at 240x and 200x was used quite a bit.

The short of it is that this is THE most detailed face of Jupiter I've seen this year. Not the sharpest but as Jove would have it the production of contrasting gas clouds was never more apparent than tonight. EVERY belt had its own character of varying intensities - particularly that beautiful belt cresting over the GRS. It's irregular in better seeing - not smoothly uniform.

For the life of me I couldn't reliably call the white spot just above the following tail of the NTB. I tried and at best it was fluctuating with disturbed albedo but never a defined spot. And I wanted it so bad.

The GRS was the typical tiny unevenly lit spot.

The wake following the GRS was softer than Thanksgivings view but chambered again and again in succession. It's paler now but the intricate network is alive and kicking. Eye candy here was the thin thread like streamers of detail. The southern edge of the SEN bordering the STZ was cut clean and sharp. Too the chambered network of swirls within the SEB was trimmed with dark but edged sharpness. These two details really set off the belt when seeing allowed.

The festoons were wild. They've really intendified here into these loops that curl all the way back to the NEB giving the false impression of reverse festoons. This was an intricate play of festoon looping that even seemed overlapped on it self.

The NEB was the best I've seen it. Albedo shading everywhere with voids in the red brown playing against the dark red brown everywhere else. I've not seen it do developed into varying contrasts as tonight.

A drawing really would've been great here but alas it was a work night so I was content to make mental notes.

Ganymede was studied but like even 7/10 seeing - it's too soft to call anything with certainty though I tried.

This was a fine night. A plus was the AMAZING effectiveness of my mars filter deepening the reds so the based of the festoons could be traced into its interior better. This was not a subtle effect - the bases of these festoons - the two major ones were massive!!!'

What an odd filter. Accentuating the belts and festoons like that. The festoons looked practically 3D.

Rewarding fun time.

Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
george golitzin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/06

Re: Jupiter and that double new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5611281 - 01/08/13 01:14 AM

Great report Pete--sounds like everyone's really loving this apparition--boy I sure am. So much detail, so much evolution in the belts.

Love that double too--beautiful red with teeny tiny blue secondary, I thought.

-g

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Jupiter and that double new [Re: george golitzin]
      #5611330 - 01/08/13 02:44 AM

It has been an amazing apparition. Still is it seems. Last I looked at Jupiter, it did seem the EZn was a bit more active. Maybe Pete is witnessing that as well.

That beautiful double had everyone buzzing, thanks to Darren Drake for bringing it up. At 170x, I saw it and admired it beautiful red color but never would have known it was a double. A year or so before my father passed away, he mentioned a beautiful red star in Taurus. Maybe this was it. That's both cool and eerie.

Ganymede really needs good seeing to sneak up on it's sub arc second albedo features.

Been giving Jupiter a pass since the beginning of the month and exploring the challenge of close doubles. I am pretty sure Jove is growing tired of exposing herself while I admire her beauty.

Pete, its always nice to hear you had a doable and rewarding evening. That's when it gets fun.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Jupiter and that double new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5611422 - 01/08/13 07:04 AM

George,

With the aperture you have I don't doubt you saw blue but with the vagaries of 6/10 it was honestly grey. Color snaps in better seeing though so who knows .

Norme, sorry to hear of your Dads passing. Did he like astronomy too? Jupiter doesn't see to mind exposing herself and infact se seems to flaunt it. That u have nailed those white spots is amazing. I really need steady seeing and not merely wish wash.

With all the extra details you've been seeing this apparition and with the new CO reduction Im interested to see what Saturn turns your way - lol - that I won't be able to see.

Pete

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#5611435 - 01/08/13 07:17 AM

He got me into it, he build an 8" reflector (hand ground the mirror, etc.) back in the 70's. One look at the moon, I was hooked. He nursed me through my first 6" mirror. He passed about 10 years ago, but I remember him mentioning a beautiful red star in Tau, and that if I ever got the chance to see it...

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5611626 - 01/08/13 10:04 AM

I had not heard the news. My condolences..

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter and that double new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5611725 - 01/08/13 10:55 AM

Thank you, didn't mean to divert the conversation...just a little personal connection to this star (I'm pretty it is the one.)

Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/02

Loc: Chicagoland
      #5611859 - 01/08/13 12:25 PM

Acording to SkySafari Pro the spectral classes of the 2 stars is M0 for the brighter component and B3 for the dimmer one. This actually represents a higher color contrast than Alberio. So I wonder what aperture is needed to see this color contrast? Most smaller scopes than 8 inches or so aren't revealing this blue color but it sure was obvious in the 16 inch. Looks like this is the very challenging version of Alberio...

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Jupiter and that double new [Re: Darren Drake]
      #5612141 - 01/08/13 03:12 PM

Pete, I'm happy to hear you had a good night of observing. I keep hearing in the news and reading on CN about how bad the weather is up north.

I have also tried my Mars filter on Jupiter. I agree the effect is not so subtle. Normally I like observing without filters, but they sure do make specific features stand out.

I'm also glad you got to observe the red double. After several nights observing it I definitely think conditions and location are everything on this one.

Hope y'all up north get more good nights to observe.

Ed D

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Jupiter and that double new [Re: Ed D]
      #5612959 - 01/08/13 11:54 PM

Hi Ed ,

In the past the mars filter just made the belts redder and that's nice and all but the way it kicked off the festoon base where it merged into the NEB was very impressive. In this sense it clearly has it over the wrattens. Strangely there is a violet fringing with my refractor and SCT but barely any with the reflector. It's a curiosity this one.

Darren, blue was definitely not perceived with my 8" anyway. It was a nice show but nary a hue.

Norme your Dad sounds like he was a good man. Ten years or not, my condolences too. I'm hoping to do some list perusing of red stars in that constellation to help firm up what may have been the star he most likely saw. This one IS red in my 8". Ill tell you what I come up with.

Pete

ericj
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/17/05

#5639683 - 01/23/13 10:33 PM

Hi Pete,

I enjoyed reading your observing report and glad you had a good night. We observers don't seem to get sessions like this too often so taking notes or making sketches helps to remind us of when we do.

Clear skies,

Eric Jamison

idp
sage

Reged: 08/21/09

Loc: New Haven, CT
      #5639901 - 01/24/13 01:18 AM

Hi Pete, good to know you're out there at night. I haven't been too lucky this year, and worked a lot on my new 10" f/7 too. I'll be dad in a few weeks so I need a good planetary telescope for when I can't go to Bethany

Quote:

A plus was the AMAZING effectiveness of my mars filter deepening the reds so the based of the festoons could be traced into its interior better. This was not a subtle effect - the bases of these festoons - the two major ones were massive!!!'

What an odd filter. Accentuating the belts and festoons like that. The festoons looked practically 3D.

Well, now I want to know about that "mars filter"... A W25? Or maybe it's not a wratten? Seriously curious.

Ivano

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Jupiter and that double new [Re: idp]
      #5640121 - 01/24/13 07:35 AM

Hi Ivano,

Hope alls been well. I hadn't made it to the CSP where you spoke and I regretted it . I've been lucky to get out when I can.

The Mars Filter is a curious thing . On some levels it works while on others its a disaster. For reasons I can't explain with certainty both my refractor and sct show wild violet fringing. In my reflector though its much tidier. It's probably something to do with the reflector being truly colorless bring all color of the spectrum to a common point. The sct again I'm guessing had the corrector to blame for this tho without the filter its as colorless appearing the reflector. It's again, a curious thing.

The Mars Filter (and I wish it had a technical name) is an interference filter working much like an OIII or UHC . It appears to very strongly DEEPEN yellow to an orange shift and reds tend to fluoresce as they are intensified greatly. Certain shades of green tho not all get killed. A green lawn for example looks like a dead lawn with much brown. Pinkish flowers and berries and literally glow a fires red.

It's astonishing actually. I gave up on it for months after the mars observations with the other scopes but the reflector and with Jupiter is quite profitable. I'm now anxious to see how the yellower tones on Saturn behave.

Your ten inch f/7 should be fantastic. I've had the pleasure of looking through both a Cave and Parks at the same f ratio and the planetary images left me envious even though I observe with a long focus 8". It's a step up but I found it had a certain apparent advantage. You didn't have to hunt for it. Saturn in particular was more 3D like. Lol I felt bad!!!

Let me know how you come along with it!

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (01/24/13 07:38 AM)

ROBERT FREE
sage

Reged: 03/20/11

Loc: SARASOTA,FL
      #5640571 - 01/24/13 12:25 PM

nice report pete an i can only say 20 years ago with a 12 1/2 f-8 i saw jupiter like that an saturn was fantastic but i had to get on a ladder to look thru the ep cause of the long tube but the images were out of this world no pun intended an thx for that info on sun shield with venus.good idea,an never thought of it even after all those years.

Edited by ROBERT FREE (01/24/13 12:26 PM)

ROBERT FREE
sage

Reged: 03/20/11

Loc: SARASOTA,FL
Re: Jupiter and that double [Re: ROBERT FREE]
      #5641163 - 01/24/13 05:58 PM

im looking at big jupe now in the twilite as the sun is setting an moon rising in the east.nice red bands on jupe an i can make out two moons to the right but its still brite out.60 deg here in fla an clear.i can make out 2 of its moons on right side.south up.and its still bright out.now 3 moons an 1 of them is right on jupes limb an i see a star or moon on top of jupe.dont know what that is.can anyone else see that. i dont think its another moon of jupe on top? yes its a moon.an looks like that moon on limb went behind jupe.

Edited by ROBERT FREE (01/24/13 06:15 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1060

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics