Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159
      #5641479 - 01/24/13 09:01 PM

Today I received an email from Meade with some special offers. One offer is for a Meade UWA 24mm and a 2” 99% reflectivity dielectric mirror diagonal with 1.25” adapter for $159.

I pulled the trigger on this offer. I'd like the 2" diagonal for my new C6 SCT. According to Meade, it comes with "an adapter that allows the diagonal to be used with a standard SC thread screw-on attachment." I've seen this same diagonal advertised alone for around $159.

For the special offer, I'm getting the eyepiece as an extra "Wait! Wait! There's more!" I've read that the Meade UWA 24 has pretty much the same optics as the ES 82 24, but is not nitrogen/argon purged. I don't have this ES eyepiece, but it's one that I've been thinking about picking up. The ES 82 24 is on sale now for $199. I've seen the Meade UWA 24 advertised recently for $224. I may be confusing these Meade UWA with the SWA - now how is that possible? - but I believe both the UWA and SWA were on sale a couple years ago for much less.

Here is a link to this offer from Meade:

99% Reflectivity Diagonal and 24mm Ultra-Wide Angle Eyepiece Kit

I have no affiliation with Meade or any other vendor ... except as a customer!

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/04

Loc: pa 19320
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5641708 - 01/24/13 11:08 PM

I got that email also. deal is pretty hard to beat

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: bob midiri]
      #5641711 - 01/24/13 11:10 PM

I could not resist it!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5641723 - 01/24/13 11:16 PM

When I receive the Meade UWA 24, I will promptly put it on a diet. These eyepieces are a bit bulky.

How To Put a Meade 5000 on a Diet!

Mike

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

#5641724 - 01/24/13 11:18 PM

Quote:

I could not resist it!

Me either, its a sickness

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
      #5641735 - 01/24/13 11:38 PM

Quote:

I'd like the 2" diagonal for my new C6 SCT.

Mike

Does the C6 have a 2 inch baffle tube?

mfromb

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Boston, MA
      #5641738 - 01/24/13 11:41 PM

Wow.. that seems like a crazy good deal. I have the ES68 24mm on backorder. I think I am somewhere around 100,459th in line. IF this Meade is largely the same as the ES82 24mm, then dang. The $159 for the EP itself is a solid price. I think that EP sells for over $200, normally.

Things that make you go 'hmmm...' at 11:30 p.m. Should I cancel the ES68 and jump on this. I have no use for the diagonal, but maybe I could mount it for display on the mantle?!?

I should stop looking at that offer now, before my credit card numbers mysteriously tap themselves onto the keyboard.

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: mfromb]
      #5641746 - 01/24/13 11:47 PM

If it were I, I would cancel the ES order. You will be surprised that some day you can use another 2" diagonal ....or sell it. bob

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: stevew]
      #5641809 - 01/25/13 12:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd like the 2" diagonal for my new C6 SCT.

Mike

Does the C6 have a 2 inch baffle tube?

I'm not sure. The C6 is supposed to arrive tomorrow. But in any case, a 2" adapter and diagonal make for a more secure connection. I can always use it on my Mak if I don't like it on the C6.

Mike

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #5641836 - 01/25/13 01:16 AM Attachment (64 downloads)

Here's mine that I used to own. Exact same performance as the ES 24mm 82 degree EP, and much better de-cloaked.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5642178 - 01/25/13 09:31 AM

I have the old ES82 24mm, before they were waterproofed; and it's a beast at 2.2 lbs...And that eyepiece will not leave my grimey paws. Of ALL my eyepieces, this is my favorite (even over the Naglers). It sees more scope time then all my others put together...It was also my "first" premium eyepiece.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5642287 - 01/25/13 10:29 AM

That's a hell of a deal! If I didn't already have that diagonal and a 24mm SWA and a 28mm SWA I'd be all over it...you could buy it and sell them off separately and make $$$

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: REC]
      #5642329 - 01/25/13 10:51 AM

mitaccio
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/17/09

Loc: Oahu, Hawaii
      #5642353 - 01/25/13 11:13 AM

I had to get it. I was ready to spend over $360 for a WO diagonal and the ES 82 24mm. Now I have funds to spend on more stuff! This is a great start to the day!

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
      #5642375 - 01/25/13 11:25 AM

I agree it's good to have a spare diagonal. A month ago I dinged my OPT dialectric diagonal. I put a eyepiece in a 1.25" barlow into it thinking the adapter was in it when it wasn't. I replaced it with a WO dialectric diagonal for $129. I've got the Meade diagonal too and except for carbon fiber sides on the WO vs metal on the Meade they are the same and highly recommended. I've got 5.5 and 18 UWAs both of which are very good eyepieces. Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to get the diagonal-24 UWA. David

Edited by dscarpa (01/25/13 11:52 AM)

SeptemberEquinox
sage

Reged: 01/29/12

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: dscarpa]
      #5642437 - 01/25/13 12:01 PM

I just got Celestron Omni Xlt 150 refractor that came with 1.25" dielectric diagonal. I thought about buying Meade 2", but I wanted to save some money and buy an eyepiece. But wow what a deal. Thank you for sharing. Are there gonna be slight improvement from 1.25 diagonal to 2"?

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: SeptemberEquinox]
      #5642523 - 01/25/13 12:51 PM

1) The C6 has about a 25mm opening in the back of the baffle. It's best with 1.25" eyepieces, but as long as you keep the field stop diameter smaller than, say, 30mm, vignetting shouldn't be too severe.

2) Meade used to source these eyepieces from Jing Hua (the source for Explore Scientific). Now they come from another company in China. That Meade is making this deal possibly means these were left-over eyepieces from before the company switch, in which case they might be from Jing Hua.

3) The primary advantage to the switch to 2", even if the scope isn't really designed for 2" eyepieces will be that only the center of the star diagonal's mirror will be being used. And, as many optical reports have shown--especially on dielectric-coated mirrors--there is often a roll-off of optical quality toward the edge of the mirrors. Using just the center of the mirror would improve the optical figure of the system over using a 1.25" mirror and utilizing most of the mirror.

4) These star diagonals may have a misaligned mirror. To test that, if you don't know how to do it off the scope, make sure your SCT is well collimated with a 10mm eyepiece straight through (no diagonal in place).
In the northern hemisphere, Polaris makes a good collimation star. Then, place the star diagonal on the scope and check collimation again. If you see a lack of collimation, try loosening the setscrew on the diagonal and tipping it slightly. If this improves the star image, sometimes a thin aluminum shim between the star diagonal body and the tube into which it inserts will do the trick. In this way, the scope can be as well-collimated with and without the star diagonal. Remember to always bring the test star to the center of the visible field before testing collimation.

belgrade
sage

Reged: 10/05/07

Loc: Frisco, TX
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: Starman1]
      #5642538 - 01/25/13 12:59 PM

All of the above are great comments, especially (4) - advices like this are what makes stopping by these forums worthy our time!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5642714 - 01/25/13 02:30 PM

Don,

Quote:

1) The C6 has about a 25mm opening in the back of the baffle. It's best with 1.25" eyepieces, but as long as you keep the field stop diameter smaller than, say, 30mm, vignetting shouldn't be too severe.

I had read on CN that the baffle is 28mm. But I measured the opening of my new C6 myself before I read your post, and it is about 25mm, or 1 inch. A good 1.25" eyepiece for low power would be my Ultrascopic 35mm, which would give me about 43x, 1.2 degrees TFOV, and 3.5mm exit pupil. It has a 29mm field stop, right below the 30mm limit that you suggested.

I don't plan on viewing everything - the big and the small - with my C6. I never really believed that SCTs are Jack-of-all-trade telescopes. I have other scopes and binos that I use for wide field. I wanted the C6 for views of the Moon, planets, the brighter DSO and double stars. Not every scope I own needs to give me a wide view of the Pleiades. But this one should show the Double Cluster well enough.

The C6 appears light enough that I can take it out for grab-n-go beside my house, or even backpack it for a 20 minute walk to a nearby site away from the neighborhood glare.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5642724 - 01/25/13 02:38 PM

Don,

Quote:

3) The primary advantage to the switch to 2", even if the scope isn't really designed for 2" eyepieces will be that only the center of the star diagonal's mirror will be being used. And, as many optical reports have shown--especially on dielectric-coated mirrors--there is often a roll-off of optical quality toward the edge of the mirrors. Using just the center of the mirror would improve the optical figure of the system over using a 1.25" mirror and utilizing most of the mirror.

Thanks. I had heard the same thing years ago, but had forgotten about this advantage to using 2" diagonals. I was thinking more about having a more secure and stable connection by going to 2".

Mike

Starman1

#5642745 - 01/25/13 02:54 PM

Quote:

Don,

Quote:

I had read on CN that the baffle is 28mm. But I measured the opening of my new C6 myself before I read your post, and it is about 25mm, or 1 inch. A good 1.25" eyepiece for low power would be my Ultrascopic 35mm, which would give me about 43x, 1.2 degrees TFOV, and 3.5mm exit pupil. It has a 29mm field stop, right below the 30mm limit that you suggested.

I don't plan on viewing everything - the big and the small - with my C6. I never really believed that SCTs are Jack-of-all-trade telescopes. I have other scopes and binos that I use for wide field. I wanted the C6 for views of the Moon, planets, the brighter DSO and double stars. Not every scope I own needs to give me a wide view of the Pleiades. But this one should show the Double Cluster well enough.

The C6 appears light enough that I can take it out for grab-n-go beside my house, or even backpack it for a 20 minute walk to a nearby site away from the neighborhood glare.

Mike

That eyepiece yields 1.09 degrees. It's no accident the 5, the 6 and the 8 all have about a 1 degree low power view. This was considered the "standard" low power view for backyard telescopes a generation ago. We have proliferated our approaches so greatly since then that you can now buy amateur, backyard scopes with low power fields of view as large as 5 degrees or as small as 0.5 degrees maximum field. We live in amazing times, where amateur astronomy is concerned.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5642751 - 01/25/13 02:57 PM

Yes, indeed!

Mike

Starman1

#5642764 - 01/25/13 03:04 PM

I forgot to mention that using a 2" star diagonal on the C6 does lengthen the focal length and narrow the field of view some.
I estimate the adapter and star diagonal have about a 5" light path from the back of the scope to the focal plane at the end of the diagonal (it could be 6"). That length makes the focal length of the scope to 76 to 80", or really f/12.7 to f/13.3
That is one of the negatives of using a 2" star diagonal on the back of the scope.

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

#5642876 - 01/25/13 04:04 PM

Quote:

4) These star diagonals may have a misaligned mirror. To test that, if you don't know how to do it off the scope, make sure your SCT is well collimated with a 10mm eyepiece straight through (no diagonal in place).
In the northern hemisphere, Polaris makes a good collimation star. Then, place the star diagonal on the scope and check collimation again. If you see a lack of collimation, try loosening the setscrew on the diagonal and tipping it slightly. If this improves the star image, sometimes a thin aluminum shim between the star diagonal body and the tube into which it inserts will do the trick. In this way, the scope can be as well-collimated with and without the star diagonal. Remember to always bring the test star to the center of the visible field before testing collimation.

Don thanks for this tip, but I'm curious, is this a common problem with this particular diagonal, or do you think these are "blems or seconds"? Thanks Bob

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5642906 - 01/25/13 04:16 PM

Don,

Quote:

I forgot to mention that using a 2" star diagonal on the C6 does lengthen the focal length and narrow the field of view some.
I estimate the adapter and star diagonal have about a 5" light path from the back of the scope to the focal plane at the end of the diagonal (it could be 6"). That length makes the focal length of the scope to 76 to 80", or really f/12.7 to f/13.3
That is one of the negatives of using a 2" star diagonal on the back of the scope.

On the other hand, if you're using the C6 mainly to look at the Moon, planets and double stars, increasing the f number could be advantageous. You could get to a higher magnification with an eyepiece that has a little longer focal length.

Mike

Starman1

#5643027 - 01/25/13 05:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Don thanks for this tip, but I'm curious, is this a common problem with this particular diagonal, or do you think these are "blems or seconds"? Thanks Bob

It's a common problem with ALL Chinese mirror diagonals in 2".
I don't think they're blems. I think they're surplus from what came standard on the larger SCT scopes.

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5643361 - 01/25/13 09:06 PM

My WO and Meade diagonals of this type seem spot on collimation wise. I've used them a lot with very good-excellent seeing and nothings amiss. I like them better than the OPT 2" diagonal that has sharp edges anda funky set screw in a slot 1.25" adapter. The OPT's optiocs are the equal of the others. David

Toddeo

Reged: 01/19/12

#5643463 - 01/25/13 10:12 PM

Thanks for the info on the Meade deal, I just placed the order- cant beat a deal like that!!!!

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

#5643967 - 01/26/13 08:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's a common problem with ALL Chinese mirror diagonals in 2".
I don't think they're blems. I think they're surplus from what came standard on the larger SCT scopes.

Thanks Don

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5644123 - 01/26/13 10:33 AM

"Order Status: Shipping Soon
Your order is being prepared for shipment and cannot be canceled or changed. Your order should ship within the next business day."

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

#5644140 - 01/26/13 10:43 AM

Yes, this is a 24mm 82AFOV UWA eyepiece. The outer housing screws up and exposes some grease and it does freeze or get stiff in cold temps, so I just keep it up in cold temps when I am observing with it. Views are good in UWA, and the raised outer housing does block stray light.

ES version does not have the outer housing, which many consider a benefit (smaller, no grease).

Price looks very good for the combo sale. Enjoy!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5644141 - 01/26/13 10:43 AM

I always collimate refractors straight-through, without a diagonal in the focuser. Before I observe, I check the collimation with the diagonal. If I the collimation is off, I fiddle with the setscrews or wedge it if necessary to improve the collimation. If I can adjust the diagonal itself, that's even better. I suppose that's how I should proceed with collimating my SCT?

All of this would be easier if I didn't have to wait until I'm out in the dark to collimate. I can collimate refractors and Newts in broad daylight or in my house if I want to. Actually it's EASIER then. Isn't there some way to collimate SCTs accurately without a star test?

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5644150 - 01/26/13 10:47 AM

faackanders2,

Quote:

Yes, this is a 24mm 82AFOV UWA eyepiece. The outer housing screws up and exposes some grease and it does freeze or get stiff in cold temps, so I just keep it up in cold temps when I am observing with it. Views are good in UWA, and the raised outer housing does block stray light.

I already have three Meade 5k UWA/SWA eyepieces. I never had a problem with the grease or with cold weather, but then I don't go out if it gets much below freezing. So far I've deshrouded all these eyepieces and put after-market eyecups and caps on them. I'll do that for the new UWA 24, too.

Quote:

Price looks very good for the combo sale. Enjoy!

Yes indeed!

Mike

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: mfromb]
      #5644162 - 01/26/13 10:54 AM

Quote:

Wow.. that seems like a crazy good deal. I have the ES68 24mm on backorder. I think I am somewhere around 100,459th in line. IF this Meade is largely the same as the ES82 24mm, then dang. The $159 for the EP itself is a solid price. I think that EP sells for over $200, normally.

Things that make you go 'hmmm...' at 11:30 p.m. Should I cancel the ES68 and jump on this. I have no use for the diagonal, but maybe I could mount it for display on the mantle?!?

I should stop looking at that offer now, before my credit card numbers mysteriously tap themselves onto the keyboard.

24mm 68AFOV vs. 24mm 82AFOV. No brainer go for 24mm 82AFOV w/ free diagonal!

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: REC]
      #5644170 - 01/26/13 10:59 AM

Quote:

That's a hell of a deal! If I didn't already have that diagonal and a 24mm SWA and a 28mm SWA I'd be all over it...you could buy it and sell them off separately and make $$$

bREAK EVEN AT BEST. Others in the know would prefer to buy new vs. buying used. But it is an excellent price!

Starman1

#5644269 - 01/26/13 11:52 AM

Quote:

I always collimate refractors straight-through, without a diagonal in the focuser. Before I observe, I check the collimation with the diagonal. If I the collimation is off, I fiddle with the setscrews or wedge it if necessary to improve the collimation. If I can adjust the diagonal itself, that's even better. I suppose that's how I should proceed with collimating my SCT?

All of this would be easier if I didn't have to wait until I'm out in the dark to collimate. I can collimate refractors and Newts in broad daylight or in my house if I want to. Actually it's EASIER then. Isn't there some way to collimate SCTs accurately without a star test?

Mike

Mike:
Get a Christmas tree bulb ornament.
Hang it in a tree 200' to the north of you.
Focus the telescope on the reflection of the Sun in the bulb.
The image will be an Airy disc with diffraction rings.
Take your time to collimate. Seeing won't interfere, and you can use very high power eyepieces and get it accurate.
And you didn't waste one minute of nighttime observing.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5644357 - 01/26/13 12:54 PM

Easier said than done. I live in a condo. I don't have a back yard. Might seem a little unusual to see a middle-aged man shimmy up a tree in the common area to hang up a Christmas bulb.

Hasn't anyone developed a simple gizmo for collimating an SCT in the privacy of one's own home? We are not beasts. Are we not men?

Mike

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #5644513 - 01/26/13 02:35 PM

Wow, is that EP really 35 ounces!?!?

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: Starman81]
      #5644537 - 01/26/13 02:45 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

I don't think that is a misprint after all--I found this thread in the archives and user 'acc' originally posted the picture below.

It makes the 35 Pan look downright anorexic!!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: Starman81]
      #5644574 - 01/26/13 03:06 PM

35 ounces. That's virtually the same weight as my ES 82 30mm. At least you can put the Meade UWA 24 on a diet by getting rid of the bulky shroud.

Mike

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
      #5644813 - 01/26/13 05:53 PM

Coolness. I couldn't resist. I'm hoping that this will make a nice addition to my Lightbridge 16. I'm probably going to strip the bulky eye guard mechanism off of it and install my own. I make a simple adjustable eye guard from a thin sheet of black rubber foam from an art store. They are very effective and weight practically nothing.

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5644958 - 01/26/13 07:23 PM

I'm leaving the cadding in place because the 24 UWA will be loaned to a friend who sets up on cement. He's using my 22 T4 which I'll take back as it's making me a bit uneasy. David

SeptemberEquinox
sage

#5648996 - 01/28/13 07:12 PM

Have they shipped any of you guys' orders yet?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5649137 - 01/28/13 08:07 PM

The status of my order at the Meade website is still

"Order Status: Shipping Soon

Your order is being prepared for shipment and cannot be canceled or changed. Your order should ship within the next business day."

I hope this isn't the usual verbiage they put out before sending an email to say you've been backordered or the items are no longer available.

Mike

SeptemberEquinox
sage

#5649220 - 01/28/13 08:44 PM

People had experiences like that with Meade's order in the past??

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5649238 - 01/28/13 08:53 PM

I ordered the $29.95 filter special through Meade just before 5 PM on Friday and got the shipping notice today at 3 PM. They must be getting stuff out.

mitaccio
professor emeritus

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5649586 - 01/29/13 12:58 AM

I plan on removing the blue anodized color from the sides of the diagonal. Vanity has control and I am not going to sport a blue diagonal on an orange scope.

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

#5649675 - 01/29/13 03:45 AM

Quote:

Have they shipped any of you guys' orders yet?

I contacted them and got this reply yesterday
No, no issue with your order.

Unlike other online retailers, we are a small company and ship on certain days of the week.

Your order is shipping today and you should see tracking information tomorrow late afternoon.

Meade Store

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: mitaccio]
      #5649906 - 01/29/13 09:26 AM

Quote:

I plan on removing the blue anodized color from the sides of the diagonal. Vanity has control and I am not going to sport a blue diagonal on an orange scope.

Hey, here in Colorado, thems our colors......you'd probably get an extra $50 for the color scheme alone!!!!

mitaccio
professor emeritus

#5650258 - 01/29/13 12:53 PM

Quote:

Hey, here in Colorado, thems our colors......

And we see how far those colors got you this year!

SeptemberEquinox
sage

#5650293 - 01/29/13 01:11 PM

Woot!!!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5650329 - 01/29/13 01:32 PM

SeptemberEquinox,

Was this in an email or the status at the Meade website? When did you order yours?

Mike

SeptemberEquinox
sage

#5650340 - 01/29/13 01:41 PM

Hey Mike,

I called and asked them about my order. The lady who was helping me said she will check with her manager to see what's going on and send me an email update. About half an hour later, she sent me a tracking number.

I placed an order on Friday Morning, but I only live 50 mins away from Irvine where Meade co. Is located.

Edited by SeptemberEquinox (01/29/13 03:12 PM)

EdZ
Professor EdZ

Reged: 02/15/02

Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W
      #5650510 - 01/29/13 03:02 PM

Quote:

The C6 with visual back and 2" diagonal is operating at very near F=1750, F=1700 if you have a screw on diagonal and don't need the visual back, so f/12.0 to f/11.3

Operating focal length of the C6

Starman1

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: EdZ]
      #5650599 - 01/29/13 03:36 PM

Ed is right. The thread-on diagonals have shorter light paths.

But, the Meade unit is not such a diagonal--it is an insertion type and there is a fairly long 2" adapter threaded onto the back of the scope. That's not a bad thing--it's threaded for filters and can be much more easily rotated, not to mention its usability on refractors.

Edited by Starman1 (01/29/13 03:40 PM)

mak17
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Central Florida
      #5650670 - 01/29/13 04:19 PM

I called before placing my order and the guy said I would have the eyepiece/diagonal in five days. 168.16 after shipping. Can't beat that - not even in the used market. Well see when it arrives.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #5650687 - 01/29/13 04:26 PM

I ordered/paid Sat Jan 26 (Australia Day!) morning. Meade web page states that they have not yet shipped.

REC
Post Laureate

#5650787 - 01/29/13 05:26 PM

That's right, use it with my SCT with the tube and then in my 80mm refractor with my 2" EP's.

SeptemberEquinox
sage

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: hottr6]
      #5650800 - 01/29/13 05:35 PM

I just received it. It seems like its in a good condition. It does not come with any boxes or cases, instead it's all wrapped in those bubbly bags and of course a shipping box

I would like to post a picture, but I have no idea how.

oh and Holy Cow this eyepiece is massive.... I don't know how my cg4's gonna handle it lol

Edited by SeptemberEquinox (01/29/13 05:43 PM)

mitaccio
professor emeritus

#5650939 - 01/29/13 06:55 PM

Called Meade, got a tracking number within 10 minutes. Shipping was 2 day UPS.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5650995 - 01/29/13 07:29 PM

I called Meade about an hour ago and asked about my order. The man called the vendor. He gave me a tracking number and sent me a "shipped" email. It shipped on Monday. So I should be getting my package soon.

Mike

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#5650998 - 01/29/13 07:30 PM

Let's use your estimated a maximum of about 6" length behind the back end. Even at that we get F= 1775, so f/11.8. Just refer to the graphic, it's the easiest way to find F

edz

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5651014 - 01/29/13 07:39 PM

Edz,

Is there anything inherently wrong with increasing the f number of the C6 by using a 2" visual back and 2" diagonal? Shouldn't that make it easier to observe planets and the Moon, since higher magnification can be reached with eyepieces that have somewhat longer focal length, which tend to have longer eye relief?

I suppose there would be vignetting of the image if wide-field 2" eyepieces are used. But if the C6 is mostly used for medium to higher power viewing of the Moon and planets, and the field stop of the eyepieces are kept at or below the clear aperture of the C6, would there still be a problem with vignetting?

Mike

JIMZ7
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/22/05

Loc: S.E.Michigan near DTW
      #5651034 - 01/29/13 07:49 PM

It figures-a great sale after I sold my Bosma 4" f/9.8 refractor.

Jim

Starman1

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: JIMZ7]
      #5651116 - 01/29/13 08:36 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Ed,
I attach a chart showing the change in focal length with back focus distance. On the 6", I see that a 6" back focus results in a focal length of just under 80", which is f/13.3

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#5651167 - 01/29/13 09:06 PM

Quote:

Edz,

Is there anything inherently wrong with increasing the f number of the C6 by using a 2" visual back and 2" diagonal? Shouldn't that make it easier to observe planets and the Moon, since higher magnification can be reached with eyepieces that have somewhat longer focal length, which tend to have longer eye relief?

I suppose there would be vignetting of the image if wide-field 2" eyepieces are used. But if the C6 is mostly used for medium to higher power viewing of the Moon and planets, and the field stop of the eyepieces are kept at or below the clear aperture of the C6, would there still be a problem with vignetting?

Mike

Two things

the mirror is not designed to operate outside a specific range. So the further you move from the norm, the higher the spherical abberation

The longer (or shorter) the focal lenght at which the mirror is forced to operate, the more the aperture becomes obstructed. The more the aperture becomes obstructed the higher the ratio of central obstruction to effective aperture, and therefore the more destructive the result to the contrast function.

BTW, I'll respond in this post to the graphic on effective focal length. If the focal length in that graphic is not correlating to what I've shown in my graphic, then it is wrong. I've seen numerous wrong graphics. I've actually tested the scope.

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#5651183 - 01/29/13 09:17 PM

Quote:

Ed,
I attach a chart showing the change in focal length with back focus distance. On the 6", I see that a 6" back focus results in a focal length of just under 80", which is f/13.3

This grapic is INCORRECT.

I've seen it before and commented on it before, in fact, here in these forums. I get tired of the same old *BLEEP*. That's part of the reason why I walked away from this site for a while, the proliferation of inaccurate data.

It assumes all (at least the C5, the C6 and the C8) SCTs have the stated nominal F precisely at the backplate. That is incorrect. That's why I took the trouble to ACTUALLY MEASURE the C5 the C6 and the C8 and posted those plots in the SCT forum.
Not only that but it presumes at 6" of backfocus the C6 is operating at 80" F=2032. That's just palin outright wrong. At near 6" of backfocus the C6 is found to be operating near F=1800. The differnce may not be due to the slope of the increase. More likely it's due to the fact that the C6 at the backplate is more like F=1300.

So, I'm going to ask you Don, Have you ever tested any of this? And if not, why then would you believe that chart is more accurate then my test results and post that chart and ignore my test results?

So, for all you other forum members, you can continue to rely on inaccurate assumed data plots, or you can rely on actual data. Your choice.

edz

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5651260 - 01/29/13 10:05 PM

Edz,

Quote:

the mirror is not designed to operate outside a specific range. So the further you move from the norm, the higher the spherical abberation

The longer (or shorter) the focal lenght the more the aperture becomes obstructed. The more the aperture becomes obstructed the higher the ratio of central obstruction to effective aperture, and therefore the more destructive the result to the contrast function.

Thanks for the info. I was aware of bits and pieces of this here and there, but you put it together nicely in one easy-to-understand - though maybe hard to accept - package.

So, what would be the longest total length of accessories behind the visual back of a C6 that would neither appreciably increase spherical aberration nor appreciably decrease clear aperture? I'm looking for a good rule of thumb to keep in mind when considering accessories for the C6.

And is there any combination of accessories that would allow a Burgess Binoviewer (CA of about 22mm) to be used on the C6 without appreciable increase of SA and decrease of CA? I'd rather stay within these constraints with a 2" VB if possible, for the extra stability. But if that's not possible, so be it.

Mike

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#5651291 - 01/29/13 10:21 PM

All of that is addressed in the thread I linked to above. That same thread that has the plots of the effective focal length also has tests that determine the effective aperture for various configurations. Almost any configuration you can put together on the C6 that invloves a binoviewer is going to reduce the aperture, That thread has a lot more to read.

Quote:

is there any combination of accessories that would allow a Burgess Binoviewer (CA of about 22mm) to be used on the C6 without appreciable increase of SA and decrease of CA

No. even with the standard 1.25" VB and a standard 1.25" diagonal, it would be operating near F=2100, D=140, therefore f/15, with a CO of 41%.

edz

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5651315 - 01/29/13 10:43 PM

So I take it that binoviewing planets or the Moon with the C6 would not be a good idea, if we're interested in important things like optimum detail and contrast? There would be an increase in SA, a decrease in effective aperture, and an increase in the CO ... all of which means a decrease in surface detail and perceived contrast. Correct?

Mike

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#5651317 - 01/29/13 10:45 PM

correct
try the C8 for much better performance

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5651337 - 01/29/13 11:00 PM

Well, I don't think I'll be getting a C8 anytime soon. I'm full up with scopes as it is (look at my sig).

In any case, I recently bought the C6 as a grab-n-go scope, an upgrade from my little 90mm Mak. The C8 wouldn't exactly be grab-n-go for me here. But I'll just try to accept the C6 for what it is, with its abilities and contraints, and be happy with that.

Mike

Starman1

#5651510 - 01/30/13 01:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ed,

This graphic is INCORRECT.

I've seen it before and commented on it before, in fact, here in these forums. I get tired of the same old *BLEEP*. That's part of the reason why I walked away from this site for a while, the proliferation of inaccurate data.

It assumes all (at least the C5, the C6 and the C8) SCTs have the stated nominal F precisely at the backplate. That is incorrect. That's why I took the trouble to ACTUALLY MEASURE the C5 the C6 and the C8 and posted those plots in the SCT forum.
Not only that but it presumes at 6" of backfocus the C6 is operating at 80" F=2032. That's just plain outright wrong. At near 6" of backfocus the C6 is found to be operating near F=1800. The difference may not be due to the slope of the increase. More likely it's due to the fact that the C6 at the backplate is more like F=1300.

So, I'm going to ask you Don, Have you ever tested any of this? And if not, why then would you believe that chart is more accurate then my test results and post that chart and ignore my test results?

So, for all you other forum members, you can continue to rely on inaccurate assumed data plots, or you can rely on actual data. Your choice.

edz

I've checked the math in the rest of the article, and the curves are correct. The mistaken assumption of the author, to which you alluded, is that the reference focal length position is the back plate of the scope. A Celestron engineer told me years ago that the 2032mm focal length of the C8 was actually at a distance of 4" (100mm) behind the back plate of the scope, i.e. with the visual back and 1.25" star diagonal in place. Backing that up was the fact that when I collimated the scope, straight through, the field size was slightly larger than the focal length of the eyepiece indicated, showing the shorter focal length.

I apologize for not immediately assuming that this was true for other sizes of SCT as well--that the reference focal length was at a set distance behind the back plate of the scope.

It would be valuable information to know the reference focal length position behind the cell for every SCT and MCT, as you have determined for some. I find it odd the manufacturers don't publish the information.
The graph should be revised to accommodate the data.

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#5651635 - 01/30/13 06:12 AM

Sorry I got snippy.

Quote:

A Celestron engineer told me years ago that the 2032mm focal length of the C8 was actually at a distance of 4" (100mm) behind the back plate of the scope, i.e. with the visual back and 1.25" star diagonal in place.

That's approximately correct for the C8.

For both the C5 and C6, they operate at the nominal f/10 at approx 60mm behind the back port.

The C5 with a standard 1.25"VB and 1.25" diagonal is operating at F=1370.
The C6 with a standard 1.25"VB and 1.25" diagonal is operating at F=1650.

edz

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5652008 - 01/30/13 10:40 AM

Mine came yesterday! The UWA is comically large. It gets stuck in the bottom of a giant bolt case. I ended up using the case upside down. I viewed M42-M43 with the UWA in my IM-715 mak back to back with my 24 Brandon and am impressed with it's performance. David

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5652057 - 01/30/13 11:06 AM

The ETA of mine is this Friday. I'll have to see how it compares to my ES 82 30. The weight is about the same. I will put the Meade on a diet. But then I'll have to see if I can find an eyecup to fit it.

The Meade 5k UWA 24 has better coatings and a wider AFOV than the Brandon 24. I'm not surprised that the Meade would impress by comparison.

On the other hand, the simpler coatings of the Brandon can allow more structure to be seen in bright nebulae. But you can approximate that by screwing on a DSO filter. So would you rather have your filtering built into the eyepiece or in a filter you can remove?

Mike

jgraham
Postmaster

#5652259 - 01/30/13 12:50 PM

Mine is still listed as 'Shipping soon'. If that doesn't change in the next day or so (a full week after placing my order) I'll probably cancel my order.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: jgraham]
      #5652270 - 01/30/13 12:57 PM

Truthfully, a week is not a long time for a response, I'd give it a few more days anyway.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5652294 - 01/30/13 01:12 PM

If you're getting antsy, call the company and ask for the status of your order. Mine had already shipped when I called, but they hadn't caught up with sending out emails to notify customers that their packages had shipped. I received the email and tracking number soon after I called.

Mike

jgraham
Postmaster

#5652396 - 01/30/13 01:56 PM

Yeahhhh, I'll be patient, but it kinda sucks the fun out of an impulse buy. If you have to wait more than a week for something bought from a weekly special to even ship there's something of a mismatch there. A friend of mine once told me that the most efficient part of any business should be the part that takes the money.

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

#5652400 - 01/30/13 01:59 PM

I actually emailed them and they got back relatively quickly and told me mine also shipped Monday and should be here by Friday. unfortunately The RGB filters still haven't shipped. Bob

ratskrad

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: Heber Utah
      #5653410 - 01/30/13 11:17 PM

I ordered mine on the 24th and it showed up this evening. I am going to need a bigger counter weight for my 8" LX90. I knew the 24mm UWA was massive but it had been a while since actually holding one. As I live in the mountains of Utah I am hoping this brings lots of snow at least for the next week as it is approaching the weekend and I need my 4 days on the slopes but come the following weekend I hope it clears up enough to head out into the desert for some looking up time with my new toys.

ryanr256

Reged: 04/21/09

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: ratskrad]
      #5655024 - 01/31/13 08:36 PM

Deal is done. Link now shows $398 price.

-Bob

Duplin

Reged: 06/23/12

Loc: Eastern North Carolina
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: ryanr256]
      #5655067 - 01/31/13 08:58 PM

Ordered mine late on the 25th, sent an email this morning and received a tracking number within an hour. It actually shipped yesterday, the 30th. Not the fastest shipping, but a 2" dielectric diagonal plus the UWA for $168 including shipping is certainly worth a short wait. Cheaper than buying used...

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5655096 - 01/31/13 09:16 PM

Quote:

Deal is done. Link now shows $398 price.

-Bob

Ouch! What a difference.

Mike

jgraham
Postmaster

#5655183 - 01/31/13 10:14 PM

As near as I can tell mine hasn't shipped yet. My filters and spotting scope are on their way, but I had to rattle their cage to find that out. I'll check on my eyepiece tomorrow. This should make a fine addition to my Lightbridge 16.

aa5te
Genial Procrastinator

Reged: 08/30/08

Loc: Clinton, TN
      #5655262 - 01/31/13 10:59 PM

Pure speculation - Looks like some guy on AM (NOT me) stocked up on 2 or 3 of these deals and will pass on some *slight* savings to you...

Eigen

Reged: 07/26/12

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: aa5te]
      #5655560 - 02/01/13 04:06 AM

Talk about lucky, caved in last night and ordered. Still got it for 159$. Would've been kicking myself pretty hard had I decided to wait till today.

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: aa5te]
      #5655717 - 02/01/13 08:00 AM

Quote:

Pure speculation - Looks like some guy on AM (NOT me) stocked up on 2 or 3 of these deals and will pass on some *slight* savings to you...

And on our CN classifieds !!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5655719 - 02/01/13 08:02 AM

Speculators!

Mike

jgraham
Postmaster

#5656269 - 02/01/13 12:30 PM

Coolness, mine should be here next Tuesday!

jgraham
Postmaster

#5656279 - 02/01/13 12:34 PM

Heh, heh, I just saw that ad in the CN Classifieds. I thought that it was interesting that the seller has zero CN posts. Kinda makes ya' wonder. It's neat to see what my eyepiece is gonna look like.

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

#5656365 - 02/01/13 01:25 PM

Yeh they look great in that picture...enterprising person I guess!! Mine are on the truck to either be delivered or destroyed

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5656385 - 02/01/13 01:35 PM

Mine is out for delivery! No, wait ... it's been delivered. The package will be waiting for me when I get home!

Now to think up reasons why I really needed this eyepiece and the diagonal ... for the wife.

Well, there's always the discount. That's the reason she usually gives me!

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5656485 - 02/01/13 02:36 PM

Tell her you ordered her shoes and the order must have got mixed up.........and that you got way more in stuff then what you paid, so you've decided to keep it....you got a bargain right? Now, about those shoes.......

mustgobigger
Postmaster

Reged: 06/12/07

Loc: Michigan
      #5656669 - 02/01/13 04:15 PM

mine came today and looks like a great deal.
will go nice on my new 10" ACF.

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

#5656708 - 02/01/13 04:35 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Just came not the best packing;;

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

#5656712 - 02/01/13 04:36 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

But the insides were nice

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5656752 - 02/01/13 04:53 PM

Wow, it even came with an expandable Rubber sattelite killer.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 *DELETED* new [Re: bob midiri]
      #5656754 - 02/01/13 04:54 PM

Post deleted by csrlice12

jgraham
Postmaster

#5656777 - 02/01/13 05:05 PM

Looks like a cloud attracter to me!

Hmmmm, it just so happens that I also recently bought a 2" Orion Imaging Skyglow filter for visual use. It'll be fun seeing how well it works with this eyepiece.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5656863 - 02/01/13 05:56 PM

The Meade UWA 24mm is supposed to have a twist-up eyecup, but mine will not twist-up. When I try to twist it up, the lower part of the barrel starts to unscrew. This isn't a big deal to me, since I intend on taking that bulky shroud off anyway.

Anyone else have one with this problem?

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5656873 - 02/01/13 06:01 PM

Never mind, problem solved. I just kept tightening the lower barrel of the eyepiece and then trying to twist-up the eyecup, several times, until finally the eyecup came up. No biggie.

Mike

mak17
scholastic sledgehammer

#5656916 - 02/01/13 06:28 PM

Called today and after some rattling he said it shipped Wednesday. Hoping the eyepiece isn't too heavy for my dob once the shroud is removed. Anyone try the diagonal yet?

ryanr256

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: mak17]
      #5657447 - 02/02/13 12:29 AM

Received my shipping notice tonight. Expected delivery is Tuesday.

-Bob

crsrs

Reged: 12/12/09

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
      #5657494 - 02/02/13 01:27 AM

I just got a look through the eyepiece and diagonal, and I'm pretty impressed! Really nice eyepiece (yes, I had the same difficulty with the eyecup shroud movement, but got it working after a bit trying). I compared it to my 20mm Explore Scientific 100 degree (the closest thing I had)..(besides my Orion 26mm Q70...no contest there, duh) The Meade 24mm UWA was excellent in every way and snapped into focus, and the edge looked very good. Color and contrast was wonderful.

The diagonal surprised me. I compared it to my Williams Optics 2" Dieletric, and the Meade gave me a tiny bit more light in that very faint stars were just a bit easier to see in the Meade. The faint stars I chose as test subjects looked somewhat dull in the Williams Optics diagonal, but in the Meade diagonal those same stars had more sparkle to them and appeared a tiny bit brighter. I didn't expect that, but I am very pleased.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: crsrs]
      #5657723 - 02/02/13 09:00 AM

We had snow and ice on the ground, and temps in the teens last night. I need to walk the scope around the side of the building, so no first light yet. I don't want to chance a slip while carrying the equipment. Winter astronomy is not good for me.

Mike

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
      #5658140 - 02/02/13 01:20 PM

I got just the diagonal; to match my 10"ACF; I didn't need another EP of this type; especially a one off. I also got the 1.25 RGBL filter set. :-)

Edited by MRNUTTY (02/03/13 06:50 PM)

mak17
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5660555 - 02/03/13 06:40 PM

Thanks for the report on the diagonal. I read the blue anodizing causes internal reflections. Maybe they blackened the inside.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5660721 - 02/03/13 08:55 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

Today I deshrouded my new Meade UWA 24mm. Makes for a lighter, narrower, less bulky eyepiece.

But I do like having an eyecup to help center my eye at the best distance from the eye lens, and to help shield from ambient glare. Rather than try to find an eyecup to fit from a vendor, I cannibalized the top of the Meade eyecup.

I cut off the top section of the eyecup where it becomes thin. To do this, first I cut a slit with an X-acto knife. Then I began cutting at this slit with ordinary scissors, working my way around to cut off this thin, upper section of the eyecup. I turned this rubber ring inside out, and fit it on top of the eyepiece.

Now I have a nice, eyecup which positions and shields my eye just right. And the original Meade eyecap fits snugly on top of the eyecup.

IMO, this slimmed down eyecup is much better than the original shroud. I wish I had thought to do this with my other three Meade 5K eyepieces. I have a SWA 24mm and a bino pair of UWA 6.7mm. I was able to find good replacement eyecups for all three, but now I wonder if I could have cut out decent eyecups for them from those bulky shrouds.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5660772 - 02/03/13 09:33 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

Closeup of Meade UWA 24mm with resized eyecup installed.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5660774 - 02/03/13 09:34 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Another view.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5660778 - 02/03/13 09:36 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Eyepiece with resized eyecup and original eyecap in place. A snug fit!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5660780 - 02/03/13 09:37 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Old shroud with resized eyecup removed. This is what is left over.

mak17
scholastic sledgehammer

#5660794 - 02/03/13 09:53 PM

Looks good.

Edited by mak17 (02/03/13 09:55 PM)

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
      #5661052 - 02/04/13 01:34 AM

That looks great Mike,and you get to keep the original cap as well. Did you turn the rubber ring inside out just for cosmetic reasons or for a better fit? I think I'll try this with my 30mm since the shroud is just sitting around taking up space now.

Eric

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5661187 - 02/04/13 06:45 AM

Eric,

I tried it both ways. The rubber ring fits better on the eyepiece and feels better against my eye when I reverse the ring.

Unfortunately, I threw away the shrouds for my other Meade 5k eyepieces.

Mike

Starman1

#5661489 - 02/04/13 10:43 AM

You can create an eye cup from a bicycle inner tube by buying a tube with the width (not diameter) of your eyepiece (an eyepiece that large would definitely require a mountain bike inner tube).
You cut out a 2-3" section of inner tube, clean it thoroughly, and stretch it over the eyepiece and bull it down a bit. Then, fold the inner tube segment over to create a folded lip at the top and so the outer part of the tube segment is pulled down over the inner part.
You can adjust the height to whatever you require, and one inner tube will make a hundred eyecups. If it wears out or deteriorates, just make another.
Look at this example: here

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5661523 - 02/04/13 11:00 AM

The cannibalized, inside-out ring from the Meade shroud worked very well. I can't imagine any improvement on that.

Mike

Starman1

#5661606 - 02/04/13 11:50 AM

Quote:

The cannibalized, inside-out ring from the Meade shroud worked very well. I can't imagine any improvement on that.

Mike

Sure, but you mentioned you couldn't do it for the others because you had already discarded the eyecups.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5661621 - 02/04/13 12:01 PM

Thanks, but I already took care of those with after-market eyecups. The one I put on the Meade 5k SWA 24 is a nice fit, comparable to the ring I cut out from the UWA 24's shroud. For the two UWA 6.7's, I used a couple accordian-style eyecups. They'll do. I have a small bag full of those eyecups that I've collected over the years.

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5661655 - 02/04/13 12:22 PM

What, no pics of your eyepiece cup collection????

I, at one time, had an extensive eyepiece cap collection. However, over time, I have come to the conclusion that eyepiece cups have only one purpose: To do everything they can to NOT be put on an eyepiece. They'll fall off, climb into pockets, bags, the grass, they'll even wonder off and put themselves on other's eyepieces (but only temporarily, till you want them on there). Some just run away never to be seen again....except one, it says Televue on it, and doesnt fit any of my Televue Eyepieces, and has taken up residence in my case and won't leave.

jgraham
Postmaster

#5661676 - 02/04/13 12:31 PM

I make eyepiece shields using sheets of thin black foam rubber from a local art supply store. I wrap a length around the barrel of the eyepiece and run a bead of hot-melt glue along the seam. These are soft, easy to form into eactly the shape that you want, and are easily sdjusted to any length. They also slip down around the eyepiece for storage. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5661732 - 02/04/13 12:58 PM

Quote:

What, no pics of your eyepiece cup collection????

Maybe "collection" is the wrong word to describe it. It's more like an "accumulation."

Quote:

I, at one time, had an extensive eyepiece cap collection. However, over time, I have come to the conclusion that eyepiece cups have only one purpose: To do everything they can to NOT be put on an eyepiece.

Cups or caps? The cups have a firm grip on the eyepieces and aren't coming off unless I pull them off.

The caps are somewhat shakier. But I search for the best fit from those in my eyecap collection ... I mean, accumulation. The bright yellow ones are among the best. They are easy to see in the dark and tend to hang on.

I must have eyecaps on the eyecups. Maryland is a dewy land.

Mike

Starman1

#5661873 - 02/04/13 02:11 PM

Quote:

I must have eyecaps on the eyecups. Maryland is a dewy land.

Mike

The one exception I've found to that is in the dead of winter, with temperatures below the dew point (i.e. frost point). Having the eyecup off the eyepiece seems to keep fog from forming on the eyepiece as easily.
Perhaps my eyes are unusually moist or warm, and that is what is responsible for them fogging so easily when I have the eyecups in place.
Whatever the reason, having some circulating air between my eye and the eyepiece (i.e. eyecup removed) seems to keep them from fogging up as much.
Otherwise, in really dewy environments, I agree with Mike.

jgraham
Postmaster

#5662244 - 02/04/13 06:16 PM

I also have a big problem with my eyepieces fogging up. I use one of those cheapy personal fans with soft foam blades to blow air over my eyepiece as I observe. It is a cute little fan that I keep on a lanyard around my neck.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5662251 - 02/04/13 06:21 PM

Quote:

I also have a big problem with my eyepieces fogging up. I use one of those cheapy personal fans with soft foam blades to blow air over my eyepiece as I observe. It is a cute little fan that I keep on a lanyard around my neck.

--------------------
-John

I never thought of that! Great idea! Thanks for the tip!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5662330 - 02/04/13 07:18 PM

I've never had much of a problem with eyepieces fogging up from my eyes or breath. But I keep the dew strap around the eyepiece and the power supply on, so there is no problem with condensation, whatever the source. That's the best and surest solution.

Mike

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

#5662673 - 02/04/13 11:01 PM

Quote:

Just came not the best packing;;

Mine arrived tonight, packed the same way. On opening, the eyepiece appears to have been wrapped in used bubble-wrap. Al least the diagonal was wrapped in what appeared to be new bubble-wrap. The 2"-to-1.25" holder was sitting loose in the box.

In my experience, the S5K Meades come in nice, fitted boxes. I presume ditto for the diagonal.

So what is the story here? Are they Meade "seconds"? Used?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5662970 - 02/05/13 07:09 AM

If they are used or seconds, they look in great shape. I could find no defects at all.

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5663069 - 02/05/13 08:42 AM

Maybe they just saved costs by not putting the eyepiece/diagonal into separate pretty boxes and were able to pass those savings on this way....As long as they look new and perform, no problem.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5663084 - 02/05/13 08:53 AM

Whenever I get fancy shmancy boxes I just throw them into a big box in the attic. I keep the boxes in case I sell the item. Other than that, I have no use for them.

Mike

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5663301 - 02/05/13 10:34 AM

I've kept my boxes too, didn't know why, I just stacked them onto a bookshelf. Now I'm finding out there's a whole universe full of eyepiece box collectors out there. In fact, the only way I got my 11mmT1 Nagler Box was to buy the eyepiece with it!!

Manish
Vendor (AGENA AstroProducts)

Reged: 02/22/05

Loc: Los Angeles Area, CA
      #5663401 - 02/05/13 11:22 AM

>>Maybe they just saved costs by not putting the eyepiece/diagonal into separate pretty boxes and were able to pass those savings on this way

That's exactly what it is. From what we've been told, these are definitely not seconds/used. Meade's packaging hasn't been the prettiest in the last couple of years. We routinely get brand new items in dinged up boxes or packaged in plain corrugated cardboard boxes.

Regards,
Manish
www.AgenaAstro.com

Starman1

#5663436 - 02/05/13 11:41 AM

Quote:

Maybe they just saved costs by not putting the eyepiece/diagonal into separate pretty boxes and were able to pass those savings on this way....As long as they look new and perform, no problem.

They were obviously bought to be used on scopes that Meade didn't make.
When things are bought in OEM packaging, there are no fancy boxes and things are often quite simply packed to get the most units in the smallest cartons. That lowers the cost of freight and cost of packaging.
When OEM parts are sold to consumers, the packaging is minimal, as has been shown.
Seconds? No.
OEM? Quite likely.

jgraham
Postmaster

#5663535 - 02/05/13 12:46 PM

I've bought quite a few things through Meade's outlet store and most of it comes packed like this. Most of what I've bought has been left-overs from the end of a production run. All of it has been good stuff (and a great way to buy last year's latest and greatest and a great price). I suspect that these are part of a stock liquidation, but that is just a guess. Regardless, mine is Out For Delivery!

Duplin

#5663828 - 02/05/13 03:57 PM

Just received mine. Basic packaging as has been reported, but geeezzzz...what an eyepiece...and the diagonal seems high quality also. Quite happy with the price, and my sincerest apologies to residents of Eastern North Carolina for the coming overcast week that is now assured.;-)

jgraham
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: Duplin]
      #5664104 - 02/05/13 06:18 PM

I just opened mine. The packaging was simple, but effective. No problems there. Everything looks great! The anodized blue diagonal looks much nicer than I thought it would. The eyepiece looks great as well. I'm gonna let it warm up before I fiddle with it. Overall I'm very pleased with this set. Now all I need is some clear weather!

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5664121 - 02/05/13 06:27 PM

The diagonal came in a plain big black box with cut to fit foam. It's a very nice piece with an adapter for 2" visual backs and two set screws. The paint matches the paint on my 10"ACF; the reason I bought it. Very nice! Also, got the 1.25" RGBL filter set for my Snazzy new Orion five-place filter wheel. I love a good deal :-)

asrrin29

Reged: 09/08/09

Loc: Columbia, MD, USA
      #5664187 - 02/05/13 07:11 PM

Well I guess there has to be one in every bunch. Just received mine and I'm hoping mad! It arrived today severely damaged. The eyepiece looked as if it had been dropped, as the eyepiece cap was broken, the eye cup near the break was torn, and the glass inside the eyepiece is loose. Also, there is damage on the rim of the eyepiece as well.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: asrrin29]
      #5664206 - 02/05/13 07:24 PM

I'd say this qualifies as a return.......

asrrin29

Reged: 09/08/09

Loc: Columbia, MD, USA
      #5664219 - 02/05/13 07:36 PM

oh yeah! I just hope it's relatively hassle free, because the webpage to contact Meade directly was broken, so I had to send an email to shopatron. Don't know if they will want the whole kit or just the eyepiece, everything else looks to be alright, it is just the eyepiece the seems damaged.

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/17/07

#5664231 - 02/05/13 07:43 PM

A good bit of buzz on the binocular forum about this weeks offer of a Montana 7x42 binocular for $80....concensus seems to be positive...although no one has received a pair yet....

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: gaz-in]
      #5664399 - 02/05/13 10:02 PM

Starting to see these being parted out on certain marts across the web, in bulk no less
Some people have no shame, it seems ..or just really need the money perhaps, and planned a quick flip in order to help pay their bills (hoping it's the latter, but hey to each their own.) I just though that part of the philosophy of these certain marts for astro wares was not so much to make a quick buck as to spread the astro love amongst others.. and so it just kind of makes me sad to see it and had to get that off my chest. I'll try to refrain from judging, but I just thought that it went against the spirit of the place and our community (and somehow seems a bit unfair to Meade but that is just on an emotional, not rational level). Times a-changing though, I suppose...

Scanning4Comets
Markus

#5664525 - 02/06/13 12:20 AM

Seen quite a few of these popping up for ridiculous prices. I wonder why? LOL...Peeps trying to profit from the sales.

palmer570

Reged: 09/04/12

Loc: Scranton, Pennsylvania
      #5664553 - 02/06/13 01:14 AM

Is the SCT adaptor just a tube the diagonal slides into?

palmer570

Reged: 09/04/12

Loc: Scranton, Pennsylvania
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: palmer570]
      #5664559 - 02/06/13 01:35 AM

Never mine found my answer.

crsrs

Reged: 12/12/09

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
      #5665113 - 02/06/13 12:15 PM

Update on the diagonal.... the tube that holds the eyepiece came loose, the little set points that hold the edges were not able to hold the tube inplace so I added some glue, and I'm hope this will work... the mirror is so nice, just wish the body was put together better.

mak17
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: crsrs]
      #5665272 - 02/06/13 01:30 PM

Got mine yesterday. Evrything checks out. Decloaked the eyepiece and tested it along w the diagonal. Both are keepers for sure. If not for this post I would have never known so thanks to cloudynights and the awesome members.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5665286 - 02/06/13 01:38 PM

Christian,

Did you cut out the upper ring of the cloak to reuse as an eyecup? Try it, you might like it.

Mike

ryanr256

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: palmer570]
      #5665366 - 02/06/13 02:14 PM

Quote:

Is the SCT adaptor just a tube the diagonal slides into?

It's a tube that has the necessary SCT threads to screw on to the back of the 'scope. Then the diagonal slides into it.

-Bob

mak17
scholastic sledgehammer

#5665475 - 02/06/13 03:08 PM

Quote:

Christian,

Did you cut out the upper ring of the cloak to reuse as an eyecup? Try it, you might like it.

Mike

Mike

I'm going to give it a try. Looked like it may be tricky, any lest second advice?

Christian

Brian P

Reged: 04/07/09

Loc: New England
      #5665495 - 02/06/13 03:20 PM

Received mine yesterday. The cap on the EP was cracked...possibly due to handling and the fact it's been well below freezing for days. The screw-up (heh heh) eyecap wouldn't work until the thing warmed up.

It's fine, though, and like others I seem to have acquired a small bag of caps from somewhere.

Of course...I have to wonder if this is why Massachusetts is now expecting 18 - 24 inches of snow this weekend!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: Brian P]
      #5665580 - 02/06/13 04:12 PM

Odd, I keep losing small bags of caps somewhere....

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5665646 - 02/06/13 04:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Christian,

Mike

Mike

I'm going to give it a try. Looked like it may be tricky, any lest second advice?

Christian

Take an X-acto knive and carefully punch a small slit where the ring joins the rest of the cloak. This is to give you a starting point for scissors. Then just slip the point of a pair of scissors into that slit and begin cutting around the ring. This ring section is much thinner than the rest of the cloak and is easy to cut.

Look at the pictures I posted on this thread to get an idea of the parts I'm talking about.

It helps to steady the cloak and gives you a better grip if you insert the metal cylinder back into the cloak before you start cutting out the ring.

Mike

mak17
scholastic sledgehammer

#5665714 - 02/06/13 05:33 PM

I'm going to give it a try later today. I'll let you know how it goes.

Chris

deepwaterescue4u

Reged: 10/12/12

Loc: Panama Florida
      #5665958 - 02/06/13 08:20 PM

I found a company telescopes.net that are still selling the meade 24mm and dia set for 159 I ordered it a few min ago...

deepwaterescue4u

Reged: 10/12/12

Loc: Panama Florida
      #5665963 - 02/06/13 08:24 PM

I just found a company telescopes.net that still has them at the sale price of 159 I ordered it a few min ago...

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: deepwaterescue4u]
      #5665965 - 02/06/13 08:26 PM

Telescopes.net is Woodland Hills Camera from CA. Great company to do business with.

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: deepwaterescue4u]
      #5666056 - 02/06/13 09:30 PM

And they ship for free to make the deal even sweeter...

jgraham
Postmaster

#5666728 - 02/07/13 09:52 AM

We had a break in the weather for a couple of hours last night and I had an opportunity to test this eyepiece on my Lightbridge 16. It's a heavy eyepiece, but I still could use it would adding any counterweights to my scope, though just barely. At low altitudes I added a 2.5 pound bean-bag weight to the lower end of my scope to improve the ballance. Although quite large, the eyepiece looked pretty good on the Lightbridge's focuser. The wonky eyeshield worked quite well, so at least for now I'm going to leave it alone. The field of view was wonderful, though there was quite a bit of coma at the edge of the field. That wasn't too surprising and for me it really didn't detract from the view. I'm curious to see how this eyepiece performs on my AR-6. Overall I'm very pleased with this addition to my toolbox.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

#5666923 - 02/07/13 11:39 AM

Yep, my EP has a huge ding in it as well. I'll post a pic tonight.

These are seconds. People, don't fool yourself otherwise.

ryanr256

#5667306 - 02/07/13 03:34 PM

Quote:

Yep, my EP has a huge ding in it as well. I'll post a pic tonight.

These are seconds. People, don't fool yourself otherwise.

I don't think so. The box mine came in has a Meade label on it that states: "PROMO 2" DIAGONAL AND 24MM UWA KIT" and has the part number of: 07681.

There's also a UPC: 709942002300

Not "seconds".

-Bob

scott4comp

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Boston, MA
      #5667555 - 02/07/13 05:46 PM

Quote:

I don't think so. The box mine came in has a Meade label on it that states: "PROMO 2" DIAGONAL AND 24MM UWA KIT" and has the part number of: 07681.

Not "seconds".

-Bob

+1

Agreed. Mine do not have a mark on them, mint.
JScott

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: scott4comp]
      #5667575 - 02/07/13 06:00 PM

+2 mine are minty. Tried it out today in my C80ED...awesome, can't wait to get it under the stars, hopefully Sunday night. bob

Duplin

#5667901 - 02/07/13 09:31 PM

Both my eyepiece and diagonal were perfect in every way. I can't really see them being 'seconds'...

jgraham
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: Duplin]
      #5667945 - 02/07/13 10:04 PM

Oh my goodness. I had a chance this evening to try out my new star diagonal and eyepiece on my AR-6. The blue anodized diagonal looks sharp on my Moonlite focuser. Better than that, the view was absolutely amazing! M35 was simply stunning and the wide field around M42 was wonderful. I'm ready for Comet ISON!

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: scott4comp]
      #5668849 - 02/08/13 12:00 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

Not "seconds".

-Bob

+1

JScott

I guess then that Meade quality control was having a bad day....

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5668866 - 02/08/13 12:11 PM

Shane,

If the rest of the eyepiece is OK, you could just take the shroud off. I prefer my Meade UWA's naked.

Mike

Starman1

#5668869 - 02/08/13 12:12 PM

That nick just increases the odds these are OEM products that were destined for scopes. OEM packaging is usually minimal and the boxes probably get moved around a lot. If they were clearing out some OEM stuff, then there is a distinct possibility these are Jing Hua eyepieces instead of Meade's new manufacturer.
As for the nick, no worry. Look up the thread here on CN about putting Series 5000 eyepieces on a diet. That roll-up eyecup weighs a ton. The eyepiece is smaller and lighter without it. There was even a recent thread on creating a new eyecup from the old one.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5668908 - 02/08/13 12:27 PM

If these are the Jing Hua ones, I'd consider keeping it as long as there's no other damage. Those eyepieces really do put up some good views........

foof

Reged: 09/16/11

#5669861 - 02/08/13 10:06 PM

Anybody know how to take off some weight from the Meade 24mm. It's close to 2#

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: foof]
      #5669881 - 02/08/13 10:17 PM

Yes. Take off the shroud. This thread explains how to do it:

How To Put a Meade 5000 on a Diet!

Save the shroud, because you can cut off the upper ring to make a nice eyecup for the eyepiece. Look farther up in the thread you are in now for pictures and text explaining how to do that.

Mike

ryanr256

#5669883 - 02/08/13 10:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not "seconds".

-Bob

+1

JScott

I guess then that Meade quality control was having a bad day....

My point was that it would do Meade a dis-service to send out "seconds" as promotional items. But, obviously, there are/were some quality control issues.

-Bob

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5670643 - 02/09/13 12:27 PM

I just noticed the visual back extension tube that came with the diagonal is composed of two pieces, one of which is a 1 inch extension. Nifty!

Starman1

#5670665 - 02/09/13 12:40 PM

Quote:

I just noticed the visual back extension tube that came with the diagonal is composed of two pieces, one of which is a 1 inch extension. Nifty!

Which might make it usable on LX90s that have less clearance between scope and base.
Also, using it in the shorter configuration might prevent the lengthening of scope focal length that occurs with increasing back focus distance, i.e. give a slightly wider field of view.

REC
Post Laureate

#5670813 - 02/09/13 01:54 PM

Yes, that is how I use mine, with just part of the OTA, otherwise it's too long and will hit the base of my scope. Also hear that this configuration turns my 2000mm scope to about 2200 and f/13?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5670837 - 02/09/13 02:20 PM

Don,

Quote:

Quote:

Which might make it usable on LX90s that have less clearance between scope and base.
Also, using it in the shorter configuration might prevent the lengthening of scope focal length that occurs with increasing back focus distance, i.e. give a slightly wider field of view.

I just noticed that myself. I had to turn the 2" extension pretty firmly to remove it. That reduces the accessory train by 30mm.

Would removing this extension be enough to prevent appreciable spherical aberration and reduction in clear aperture? Would it be enough to satisfy the Cat Cops here on CN? Hmm... Probably not.

Mike

jgraham
Postmaster

#5671023 - 02/09/13 04:48 PM

Yep, that short 2" visual back has come in real handy. It's a tad shorter tn the one that I've been using from OPT. I also repaced the bulky eyeshield on my eyepiece with one of my homemade eyeshields. This reduced the weight by 20%. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

#5672172 - 02/10/13 11:28 AM

Looks like it was dropped. I'd call , ask for a replacem, and return it. Otherwise you will never be satisfied.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

#5696140 - 02/23/13 07:55 AM

I called Meade, and they sent me a new eyepiece. +1 for Meade.

Shane in gray-zone NM

wiks10

Reged: 09/22/07

#5697435 - 02/23/13 10:01 PM

I received mine in the mail last week, all i can say is WOW this thing is massive and the Diagonal is perfect.

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: wiks10]
      #5736419 - 03/16/13 02:26 PM

Received mine this week, the eye cup cap is cracked but everything else looks fine.
Mine didn't come in a Meade box? Just bubble wrapped.
Did any of yours?

Edited by brokenwave (03/17/13 01:02 PM)

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: brokenwave]
      #5736748 - 03/16/13 05:51 PM

I think all of them came in bubble wrap, I know mine did, and judging by peoples posts, theirs did also. bob

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/03/07

Loc: just outside of Toronto
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: brokenwave]
      #5737777 - 03/17/13 12:22 AM

Quote:

Received mine this week, they eyecup cap is cracked but eveything else looks fine.
Mine didn't come in a Meade box? Just bubble wrapped.
Did any of yours?

The first ones that showed up for me were just bubble wrapped. Here's hoping the warranty replacements from Meade don't get broken along the way..

Jarrod
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/20/13

Loc: SE USA
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: tjay]
      #5748941 - 03/22/13 01:30 AM

Got my replacement kit from Meade and these parts, unlike the first kit I received, are in great shape. I'm pleased.

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: Jarrod]
      #5766934 - 03/30/13 02:06 PM

My replacement was waiting for me when I got back from a business trip yesterday. The eyepiece is in great shape, the diagonal not so much Dinged corner, the eyepiece tube is still loose, and half the screws are stripped so I can't get into it.. Meade's going to ship a replacement diagonal only this time..

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/17/07

#5767830 - 03/30/13 11:07 PM

Just used mine this evening...was very impressed with both the eyepiece and diagonal....

jgraham
Postmaster

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: gaz-in]
      #5767859 - 03/30/13 11:19 PM

I used the diagonal and eyepiece on my AR6 today to view the sun using an aperture mask. The view was fantastic! The 24mm UWA is a great match with the AR6.

leviathan
sage

Reged: 11/29/11

Loc: Azerbaijan
      #5778898 - 04/05/13 01:33 AM

I thought that they've gone, but Agena is now offering this deal again.

Axle

Reged: 04/19/12

Loc: Lake Powell
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: leviathan]
      #5786086 - 04/08/13 01:46 PM

I did this deal a couple of weeks ago and have a quick question regarding the 24mm UWA eyepiece. Yesterday, I noticed my eyepiece had a slight rattle when I picked it up. It sounded like a loose internal lens. I removed the bottom 2" aluminum tube with lens assembly and noticed the lens assembly could be easily rotated in and out with finger pressure.

The actual glass lens is not loose within its threaded rings, but the whole threaded ring and lens is loose within the 2" tube. It is almost as if a lock ring is missing. The bottom lens assembly is sort of like a screw on Barlow lens. Other than this issue, the entire upper eyepiece is perfect.

I am wondering if anyone else has this issue. Also, now that I've moved the bottom lens, I am wondering how to set the correct depth position (other than visual trial and error) or if the depth placement even matters.

Comments appreciated...

thanks,
Rob P.

urassner
sage

Reged: 07/08/12

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: Axle]
      #5786097 - 04/08/13 01:55 PM

Hi Rob, I also had some rattling sound coming from mine, but just tightening the the threaded ring on the telescope side within the 2 inch barrel solved it for me right now. However, I had barely used the eyepiece so I was a little surprised that it had come loose (maybe only 1/10th of a turn, but enough to sound somewhat frightening).
Ulrich

SeptemberEquinox
sage

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: urassner]
      #5786378 - 04/08/13 04:46 PM

How much does this eyepiece weight?

Jarrod
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/20/13

Loc: SE USA
      #5786617 - 04/08/13 06:44 PM

Quote:

How much does this eyepiece weight?

35oz. (1kg).

Taylor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/10/05

Loc: Owasso, OK
      #5786958 - 04/08/13 09:48 PM

Quote:

I thought that they've gone, but Agena is now offering this deal again.

Thanks for posting this. I got the last one right after you posted it!
Shipped today, will be here in a few days to use with my new to me vintage C8 and CG-5GT.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: Taylor]
      #5787376 - 04/09/13 04:48 AM

Without the outer casing , I believe these weigh 1.5 or 1.6 Lbs.

RogueGazer

Reged: 06/10/12

Loc: Central Point Oregon
      #5788778 - 04/09/13 05:35 PM

I also had a problem with rattling lenses after just a few use but I was able to successfully tighten everything up.

RogueGazer

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: RogueGazer]
      #5789597 - 04/10/13 04:18 AM

Anyone who missed the boat on this deal can still get in but for $189 at telescopes.net. Funny that it still says  " An amazing value at $159.00.  If purchased separately the following items in this kit would cost $400" a few lines down from the picture.

http://telescopes.net/store/meade-99-reflectivity-diagonal-and-24mm-ultra-wid...

photiost
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/14/06

Loc: Montreal, Canada
      #5792563 - 04/11/13 02:57 PM

Quote:

I called Meade, and they sent me a new eyepiece. +1 for Meade.

Shane in gray-zone NM

Good to know they have this policy.

Schaden
sage

Reged: 06/30/08

Loc: Sonoran Desert
Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: RogueGazer]
      #5793448 - 04/11/13 10:39 PM

Quote:

Anyone who missed the boat on this deal can still get in but for $189 at telescopes.net. Funny that it still says  " An amazing value at $159.00.  If purchased separately the following items in this kit would cost $400" a few lines down from the picture.

http://telescopes.net/store/meade-99-reflectivity-diagonal-and-24mm-ultra-wid...

I saw that too after someone mentioned them on the last page. Still a really good deal. I would jump on it except, and I know it's a poor reason, the blue anodized diagonal would clash with my orange OTA. Is it basically the same one as Williams Optics sells for $150 ? Yeah great deal, a lot of those ep have been selling on ebay for close to $159 by themselves. Basically you can get a nice 2" dielectric diagonal for $40. Or free on the original offer.

RogueGazer

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: Schaden]
      #5793623 - 04/12/13 12:27 AM

The blue sides of the Meade diagonal can be unscrewed,removed and rattle canned orange to match your scope. I unscrewed the side off on mine wondering if it is bare aluminum on the other side but its blue front and back. I do understand your thinking though. I wouldn't want an orange diagonal on my blue scope.

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

#5797632 - 04/13/13 10:54 PM

Quote:

My replacement was waiting for me when I got back from a business trip yesterday. The eyepiece is in great shape, the diagonal not so much Dinged corner, the eyepiece tube is still loose, and half the screws are stripped so I can't get into it.. Meade's going to ship a replacement diagonal only this time..

When I got home on Friday, there was a Meade 102mm f/7.8 OTA sitting on my doorstep. Apparently Meade shipped the wrong item. Supposedly, a replacement diagonal is being sent next day air on Monday. They've been very prompt at trying to fix the problem, just not quite successful yet.

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

#5808737 - 04/19/13 02:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

When I got home on Friday, there was a Meade 102mm f/7.8 OTA sitting on my doorstep. Apparently Meade shipped the wrong item. Supposedly, a replacement diagonal is being sent next day air on Monday. They've been very prompt at trying to fix the problem, just not quite successful yet.

Well, Meade got it right, and I got a unexpected bonus out of this. My diagonal showed up yesterday. I got one in a full retail box to replace the broken one, and they told me to keep the OTA as it was too expensive for them to bother shipping back..

It was long road, but they more than made it right in the end...

leviathan
sage

#5809963 - 04/20/13 02:03 AM

Nice bonus.

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

#5814072 - 04/21/13 09:12 PM

Quote:

Nice bonus.

I think so too.

greju
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/13/05

#5820857 - 04/24/13 09:15 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

I am tickled pink even with the $189.00 price. You all who got it at $159.00 must be in hog heaven! It is still available at WH but no free shipping as was mentioned earlier.

leviathan
sage

Re: Meade UWA 24mm & 2" Dialectric Diagonal: $159 new [Re: greju]
      #5822097 - 04/25/13 01:08 PM

The only thing I didn't liked was a box. But it's OK for 159 $.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
37 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10131

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics