Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Messyone
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/02/12

Loc: Down Under
Skywatcher Truss Dobs new
      #5641931 - 01/25/13 04:34 AM

I'm considering a 12" Skywatcher collapsable Dob. My only reservation is the 3 truss poles. They seem a bit on the slim side. Has anyone had the 12" for a while and is it as good as when new? Does it flex at all? Also wanting to use my WO Bino's, and the truss system would make using bino's with no OCS easy.... Are there any other Truss scopes similiar?
Scratching my head on this one...Matt

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Skywatcher Truss Dobs [Re: Messyone]
      #5642410 - 01/25/13 11:48 AM

I was at a Star Party a couple of years back with a fellow camper near me with that scope, it was a good performer and he was happy with it.
I have a three truss 10" dob bought from Dob Stuff and have had no issues with it flexing even with big grenade style eyepieces,DA.

Gary Riley
sage

Reged: 12/01/11

Loc: White Bluff, TN
Re: Skywatcher Truss Dobs new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5643553 - 01/25/13 11:15 PM

Messyone,

I believe Dave Mitsky, who is a member here on CN has a Skywatcher 10 inch truss dob. From what I heard from him when he uses his is that it must serve him well. Maybe he'll see this post and share his comments about how his performs.

Gary

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Skywatcher Truss Dobs new [Re: Gary Riley]
      #5644404 - 01/26/13 01:26 PM

A friend has the 12" version, with GoTo and tracking, and quite likes it. I used it one night with my Mallincam and 0.5X focal reducer. Because if the required in-focus, the trusses were pulled down about 1.5" so as to relocate the focus farther out. My buddy had already made up a set of spacers from PVC pipe, with sections cut out so that they could snap in place. Recollimation wasn't even required! This aspect is to me an attractive feature, as it allows to accommodate a good variety of accessories.

And yes, the system is quite rigid enough.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Skywatcher Truss Dobs new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5644502 - 01/26/13 02:29 PM

I am interested in this dob as well and would like to hear more about how it has held up in the field for those that have had it for a few years. I have read Phillip Creed's and Kevin Zoellner's excellent reviews in the 'Reviews' section, but want to know how the scope has held up over time.

I did find some information searching online... Across the pond they refer to the SW Collapsible dob line as the 'Skywatcher Skyliner Flextube'. Good info can be found searching that on Astronomy Forum.

Edited by Starman81 (01/26/13 04:53 PM)

Messyone
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/02/12

Loc: Down Under
Re: Skywatcher Truss Dobs new [Re: Starman81]
      #5644698 - 01/26/13 04:41 PM

Thanks all for replies. Phillip Creed's review, which I hadn't seen, gives it the thumbs up. Nice idea with PVC spacers too! Sounds like the 12" will fit the bill nicely...only decision is goto or not?
Thanks all,
Matt

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Skywatcher Truss Dobs new [Re: Messyone]
      #5644734 - 01/26/13 05:03 PM

Personally, I agree with the Phillip Creed's point of view of not feeling the 'thrill of the kill' with GoTo or Push To systems. They have their place on my current scopes, but I choose to star hop when using my dob. But this is a personal choice, of course! Plus, I don't want to add 50% to the weight of the scope for GoTo when I don't think that I would even use it much.

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada
      #5644857 - 01/26/13 06:23 PM

i have been using a 12 collapsible for over two years. it meets all my expectation.

it does not flex. i have to recollimate frequently mainly because of the great temperature swings at my observing site but in summer it holds very well collimation.

just a warning, in cold weather it may become difficult to collapse the scope.

what i liked compared to orion scopes is the smoothness of movements. the optics are quite good and my astr dealer has not had one complaint from customers.

personally i would use it with a paracorr, a shroud, bob knobs and a computer fan that i installed. i also changed the focuser for a moonlite.

for 950$, it is a lot if scope for a 12 inch. it dews up easily in summer (the secondary) so that may be a problem for you.

the scope completely quenched my need for aperture

Phillip CreedModerator
Idiot Seeking Village

Reged: 07/25/06

Loc: Canton, OH
Re: Skywatcher Truss Dobs new [Re: coutleef]
      #5663756 - 02/05/13 03:18 PM

I've had the 12" SW Collapsible Dob for the past four years, and I have no complaints. It's about as close to "grab n' go" as 12" of aperture will ever get.

I've had no issues regarding stability. As for weight, will, all I can say is that the tension control system really, really, REEEEEEEALY works. I had the old-style (flat eye-lens plate) 30ES-82 eyepiece in there (3.1 lbs) WITH a borrowed Paracorr. That's almost 4 lbs added onto the OTA, along with the 9x50 RACI finderscope I attached to it. The scope didn't break a sweat.

If it does have a weakness, it is dew on the secondary mirror, as the UTA isn't long enough to prevent it in moist environments. I don't have a shroud on mine, and I'm looking to change that.

Clear Skies,
Phil

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5664380 - 02/05/13 09:50 PM

Quote:

I don't want to add 50% to the weight of the scope for GoTo

palmer570

Reged: 09/04/12

Loc: Scranton, Pennsylvania
Re: Skywatcher Truss Dobs new [Re: GeneT]
      #5664575 - 02/06/13 01:58 AM

Any sites that sell the 14 or 16 inch?

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Skywatcher Truss Dobs new [Re: GeneT]
      #5664584 - 02/06/13 02:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't want to add 50% to the weight of the scope for GoTo

Adding the GoTo on this scope increases the weight quite a bit, I don't have the actual numbers off the top of my head but knowing that when you go from the Orion XX12i --> XX12g, weight goes up from 83 lbs --> 118 lbs. Not quite 50% (actual 42%), but there is a similar jump up in weight with the Skywatcher truss dobs.

S.Boerner
sage

Reged: 04/29/10

Loc: Eastern Missouri
      #5664797 - 02/06/13 08:33 AM

I've got the 12" SynScan. I'm very happy with it. The GoTo adds some weight, but not the 50% mentioned above. The scope comes packed in two boxes. Checking online the manual version comes in two boxes that weight 20 kg & 23 kg. The SynScan version comes in two boxes that weigh 26kg & 23 kg. It looks like the ota is the 23kg box. For what it's worth, all the SynScan stuff is already assembled in the box.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the 12" SynScan was 68 pounds assembled, but don't quote me on that. The total weight isn't too important, since I always move the scope in two parts and assemble on site. I live in an urban setting, surrounded by trees, so whenever I observe it involves a drive. The OTA is very easy to move, fits across the back of my minivan and it's weight isn't a problem for me. The size of the base is more awkward than heavy for me. I carry it from the front and the eyepiece tray pokes me in the hip. I prefer to set up by the side of the minivan and the 12" is a piece of cake. If I had to carry the parts more than 25 yards, it would be a pain. I will point out that the height of the assembled scope when collapsed is slightly higher than the height of the side door of the minivan, so even SuperMan couldn't lift the scope in one piece and put it the car. I don't even want to think about putting the 12" in my Camry.

If you do want the SynScan version of any of the SkyWatcher Dobs, you will have to resort to a vendor from outside the United States.

ZuoZhao
sage

Reged: 10/16/12

Re: Skywatcher Truss Dobs new [Re: Messyone]
      #5673551 - 02/11/13 07:02 AM

I have a 10" for near one year. I use it frequently , it work well. The most problem is, flex very hard now. When I try put open ,that is a big problem. I dont know what lock poles, since when I put down,it still easy. I can't adjust all poles work as beginning,if someone have ideas,please tell me.

coutleef
Post Laureate

Re: Skywatcher Truss Dobs new [Re: ZuoZhao]
      #5673789 - 02/11/13 10:32 AM

i am not sure i understand your problem. when does it flex and are you able to extend the upper cage on the poles??

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

#5700910 - 02/26/13 01:52 AM

Not exactly a front-page headline, but the SkyWatcher Truss dobs' base is now all black instead of mainly white with black siding. I liked the white base, it was kind of a throwback to the older dob bases of 1990's(?), but I guess that black is kind of cool too.

http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-sky-watcher-12-quot-dobsonian-te...

ZuoZhao
sage

Reged: 10/16/12

#5701060 - 02/26/13 06:44 AM

Quote:

i am not sure i understand your problem. when does it flex and are you able to extend the upper cage on the poles??

The tube is collapsable. So I must extend tube before I use.But the slip of poles with upper cage not work well now. The peoblem just happen when I extend it,when I collapse it work well. I try use some lubricating oil,but no use.

coutleef
Post Laureate

#5701092 - 02/26/13 07:32 AM

I think i understand, when you try to extend it, the upper cage does not slide well on the poles. That is not flexing, that is a pole that bent under some pressure while you moved the scope or other reason. I would get in touch with the vendor to see how it could be repaired

weinerat

Reged: 12/30/09

Loc: Dalian China
      #5706531 - 03/01/13 02:02 AM

3 years and no issues. agree with the comment on cold. below 40F, then the tubes "expand" a little and it becomes difficult to move (or impossible). Only an issue for transport in a small car. but I love that scope. easy to set up and use.

FineArt

Reged: 01/26/12

#5706567 - 03/01/13 03:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The tube is collapsable. So I must extend tube before I use.But the slip of poles with upper cage not work well now. The peoblem just happen when I extend it,when I collapse it work well. I try use some lubricating oil,but no use.

I have the same thing in cold weather. The metal parts change dimensions with temperature. I tilt the dob over, hold the 2 bottom of 3 poles, then push away from the base section with my thumbs. This always seems to slide it out without jarring. The few times I pulled up on the handles to extend it it hit hard against the stops. No damage, its not something I like to do.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2012

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics