Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
mitaccio
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/17/09

Loc: Oahu, Hawaii
Temporary Pier mount?
      #5642588 - 01/25/13 01:24 PM

Because I am active duty military I move often. As such, I can't permanently build a pier mount for my 8SE. I know the HD tripod is out there, but I like the height I can gain from a Pier and wanted to know if anyone has made/tried to make a less-than-permanent pier mount.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Temporary Pier mount? new [Re: mitaccio]
      #5643169 - 01/25/13 07:01 PM

I remember seeing in the "show off your nexstar" thread, someone had used patio blocks for the pier and a custom made wood platform to attach the mount. Sorry I don't remember the user's name but I would say it was about a year ago?

berobertsmd

Reged: 09/28/09

Loc: Brandon, Mississippi
Re: Temporary Pier mount? new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5645525 - 01/27/13 06:17 AM

Hi Mitaccio,
In today's Cats & Casses FORUM, there is a topic "Finally Decided" by member donnie3. He has a photo of his temporary Pier mount made from concrete blocks, with a wooden top. I'm sure he can give you the details, photos, etc. I hope you find what you need. Thanks for your service! Take care-
Bruce

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
Re: Temporary Pier mount? new [Re: berobertsmd]
      #5655116 - 01/31/13 09:30 PM

mitaccio,hopskipson, im the person with the concrete block pier. i will sent you some photos on the pier and table top i made for my nextar mount and a brief description. i will have to wait until tommarow to take the photos. donnie

mitaccio
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/17/09

Loc: Oahu, Hawaii
Re: Temporary Pier mount? new [Re: donnie3]
      #5655434 - 02/01/13 01:17 AM

thanks donnie3! I want to pier mount mine but can't do anything permanent.

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Temporary Pier mount? new [Re: mitaccio]
      #5656305 - 02/01/13 12:46 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

mitaccio, the pier is just free standing, not cemented. i have about a little over one feet of concrete under ground and the bottom two concrete blocks are concreted in the rest of the blocks are just stacked on top of one another. i shimmed up the corners with folded up masking tape so theyer would be no give, press on a corner of a block and the one catty corner to it and if there is a small movement , shim up one of the corners. in your case you might just dig a hole and put some solid concrete blocks in. about table top, i got the wooden round at lowes. on the 4 corners is leveling bolts, i pressed in T nuts on the bottom of the table. the bolts are the one with a rounded head. in order the attach the mount to the table, i bought 3 bolts at lowes with the same threads and the ones on the tripod( just make sure theyre not too long because it will interfer with the gears in the mount. to drill the holes, i put the bolts in the mount then centered it on the table top and marked where they were, drill the holes larger the the bolt size because you wont some play, washers will make up the difference on the end of the bolt. i put a red patio block on top of the pier for a smooth surface and then a piece of indoor outdoor carpet on top of it. hope this helps, good luck, donnie

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

#5656307 - 02/01/13 12:47 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

another photo.

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

#5656321 - 02/01/13 12:58 PM

mitaccio, just one other thing i forgot to mention, you can make the pier as high as you wont, i have only 4 blocks high because i can set down and observe,you get kind of lazy at my age, ha, ha, donnie

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 786

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics