Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Comet C17P/Holmes animation
      #5642904 - 01/25/13 04:15 PM Attachment (68 downloads)

Hi Everyone,

I had the day off because school was closed due to the extreme cold, windy, and snowy weather so I had the chance to work on an animation project I've been thinking about for a couple of years.

Also, I was prompted by seeing the animation of Erika's Luna/Jupiter sequence on LPOD. The program made it very easy to creat an animation. Here's a link:
http://gifmaker.me/

You may recall back in the fall of 2007 that periodic comet C17P/Holmes went into outburst causing its magnitude and coma to both increase dramatically.

I was able to make 3 field sketches over a 5 day timespan using the same telescope and eyepiece which provided an opportunity to watch the expanding coma fill and then overflow the FOV.

This is the first time I've used gifmaker so it's quick and dirty. The original sketches were scanned at slightly different sizes which the animation makes apparent. Also there is a typo on the third sketch--the FOV is 12' in all three drawings. The orientation isn't the same in the first drawing either.

Feedback is welcome. Let me know if these flaws are a problem. Perhaps I can go back to the originals and resize them for uniformity--maybe do something about that orientation, too.

Holmes was an exciting comet to observe. I hope this brings back some good memories for some of you as it did for me. Here is the animation:

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Andrev
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Comet C17P/Holmes animation new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5643056 - 01/25/13 05:51 PM

That give something special and interesting. Fun to watch.

Andre.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Comet C17P/Holmes animation new [Re: Andrev]
      #5643109 - 01/25/13 06:28 PM

Wow that's superb!!!!!!!

Pete

PeterDob
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/29/05

Loc: CarĂ¹, Italy
Re: Comet C17P/Holmes animation new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5643658 - 01/26/13 12:54 AM

Don't worry about the so-called flaws in the animation, Michael. The main point is to bring across the evolution of the comet and you caught that beautifully. I'm seriously impressed!

Peter

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: Comet C17P/Holmes animation new [Re: PeterDob]
      #5643819 - 01/26/13 05:31 AM

This brings back fine memories! It was my first comet that I observed. And the only comet that I saw with the naked eye.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
Re: Comet C17P/Holmes animation new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #5643856 - 01/26/13 06:46 AM

Terrific memories indeed, Michael! It stands as the only comet that I have followed and sketched. Looking at your drawings brings me back to the eyepiece.

Laurent Ferrero

Reged: 12/28/12

Loc: Marseilles, France
      #5643900 - 01/26/13 07:54 AM

This very nice animation. This is a good memory this comet. Hopefully the Panstarr we reserve also a good show in March.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Re: Comet C17P/Holmes animation new [Re: Laurent Ferrero]
      #5643971 - 01/26/13 08:47 AM

Thank you all for the very kind words.

Holmes was indeed a fantastic comet to observe and follow with many variations in its overall appearance as the outer coma expanded. For those who said this was their first comet--you picked a dandy! Caveat--don't expect them all to be like this... Thanks for joining me on memory lane.

@Jef--I had the pleasure of pointing out the comet with the unaided eye to some amateur and non-amateur friends one night after a community action meeting we were attending--they loved it.

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5644613 - 01/26/13 03:35 PM

Michael,

Very good sketches of Comet C17P/ Holmes .

CS,KLU,

Tom

bumm
sage

Reged: 01/07/11

Loc: Iowa
Re: Comet C17P/Holmes animation new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #5645204 - 01/26/13 10:17 PM

Very nice! It shows the sequence very well!
For me, right after it's outburst, Holmes was a sort of cosmic muffin, with an oddly sharp outline, which then grew into a sort of seed pod which slowly started blowing out on one side. I can remember watching the little "christmas tree" evolve inside of it too...

Special Ed
Postmaster

Re: Comet C17P/Holmes animation new [Re: bumm]
      #5645557 - 01/27/13 07:23 AM

Tom and bumm, thank you much.

bumm--Holmes did have an oddball shape. Some people said it looked like one of those fossils called a trilobite.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Re: Comet C17P/Holmes animation<>Version 2 new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5646107 - 01/27/13 01:42 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

I fooled around a little more with my animation today. I went back to the scanned drawings and corrected the orientation of the first sketch to match the other two.

I also tried to resize the drawings so they are all closer to the same size. It is probably a good idea to pay attention when scanning and resizing original sequence drawings so that they are similar in dimension. It will be easier to match them up if you ever want to put together an animation.

If anyone has some sequential drawings, I hope you try an animation and post it in the forum. I know Erika has posted some prom sequences in the past that she animated.

The animation process is also particularly good for white light and Ha versions of solar sketches--you can see and compare the view of different layers of the Sun.

Posting digitized sketches on the Internet gives us a unique opportunity to employ the animation process.

Here is version 2. It's still kind of jumpy but I think it is an improvement. Comments and criticism welcome.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Comet C17P/Holmes animation<>Version 2 new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5646975 - 01/27/13 09:24 PM

Michael,

The redo works much better. You can easily see that if you plan out a series of sketches in advance you can create some great animations if the weather cooperates. Jupiter and Mars rotations would be examples as would crater shadow changes on the Moon.
Great to see this comet again.

Frank

Special Ed
Postmaster

Re: Comet C17P/Holmes animation<>Version 2 new [Re: frank5817]
      #5653989 - 01/31/13 10:10 AM

Frank,

Thanks. I agree with you about planning the sessions and you mention some great subjects for animation. Maybe we'll see one from you soon?

I wish my computer skills weren't so limited but maybe this old dog can find the time to learn some new tricks.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1179

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics