Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Vostok

Reged: 03/23/08

Loc: Finland
AstroTortilla 0.4 - easy to install! new
      #5637598 - 01/22/13 07:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I thought you'd like to know that we've just released AstroTortilla 0.4 at http://astrotortilla.sf.net/

If you've heard about AT before, you might remember all the questions on how to get the whole complicated thing working with that Cygwin environment and having to beg for database files via email. Consider all those problems gone - the new installer does everything for you automatically. Also all the known bugs are gone too.

If you haven't heard of AT, here's a few points:

What you need: Computer control of
- An ASCOM mount
- A camera with MaximDL, Nebulosity, APT or almost any other software

What you get:
-GoTo accuracy within the arcsecond
-Blind, automatic GoTo calibration
-Automatic, fast polar alignment error measurement.

Feel free to try it out.

Lauri Kangas
and the rest of the AT team here in Finland

Edit: Added URL.

Edited by Vostok (01/22/13 09:37 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JoseBorrero
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/04/09

Loc: Puerto Rico Island
Re: AstroTortilla 0.4 - easy to install! new [Re: Vostok]
      #5637763 - 01/22/13 09:05 PM

Not to far ago APT developer Ivo announce it. Thanks

I do have maxim and pinpoint, but I also have APT and I wish to learn how to install it and run it with APT.

Thanks and Welcome to CN

ldesign1
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/09

Loc: Northern Illinois
Re: AstroTortilla 0.4 - easy to install! new [Re: JoseBorrero]
      #5639996 - 01/24/13 04:01 AM

I'm one of those who had to request the database files. I had downloaded about 20GB of data one file at a time which I did over the course of several hours. I started to install the new version this evening before heading to work and this is much easier. I noticed that there are much more in the database than I thought. I set it to download everything and watched it go for a while before leaving it to run while I was gone. By the time I get home for work, it should all be done. Now it should work with all my combinations of telescopes, focal reducers, and barlow lens. I can't wait to give it a try at 5000mm focal length.

Vostok

Re: AstroTortilla 0.4 - easy to install! new [Re: ldesign1]
      #5640115 - 01/24/13 07:22 AM

Ha ha. Nice solution for anyone with no bandwidth concerns.

Using all the indices might in some cases slow down the solution searching a bit. But it's relatively easy to have all index files elsewhere on disk and only keep those needed for a specific setup at the astrometry directory in Cygwin.

We'll try to put up a guide describing the steps to optimize for as fast solutions as possible. But first we have to figure them out..!

Lauri

ldesign1
professor emeritus

#5641760 - 01/24/13 11:58 PM

Hey Lauri:

I noticed that the index files all start in the 4000 range. The ones that I had downloaded from astrometry were in the 200 range. Are there any difference between the two sets of downloads or are they duplicates with different names?

Vostok

#5642193 - 01/25/13 09:37 AM

The 200 series are generated from the USNO catalog and are those that you had to ask the permission to download and use and are restricted to pass forward to anyone.

4000 series indices are generated from the 2MASS catalog and are licensed GPL ("free"). That's why we can distribute those along with the program.

They should work identically with 2XX corresponding to 40XX. If you already have those 200-series indices matching your setup, you don't have to get the new ones. Just make sure to place the 200-series files unpacked at /usr/share/astrometry/data in the cygwin hierarchy.

LoveChina61
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/09

#5642395 - 01/25/13 11:36 AM

Is this updated version fairly straightforward to install and use? In another thread last year you (or one of development partners) had said that they would only recommend that experienced users and (presumably) those with previous Cygwin experience should use the AstroTortilla software. That left me with less than complete confidence although I would absolutely love to use it if there is no chance whatsoever that it will mess up my computer system.

I have no experience whatsoever with Cygwin and am not even sure what it is.

ldesign1
professor emeritus

Re: AstroTortilla 0.4 - easy to install! new [Re: LoveChina61]
      #5642938 - 01/25/13 04:34 PM

LoveChina61:

From my experience, if you are only interested in using AstroTortilla, then you don't have to worry about knowing what goes on with Cygwin. It runs in the background. This new version of AstroTortilla installs everything for you. As for Cygwin, I only use it if I want to plate solve my images with the annotations. I should not mess up your computer. It will either solve the image or tell you that it could not solve the image. If it takes too long, I just force quit the application and everything continues to work fine. You do need to know some command lines to get it to work though. It runs in a Windows command prompt window. That's probably why they recommend that you know what you are doing. But like I said, it will either solve or not solve.

ldesign1
professor emeritus

Re: AstroTortilla 0.4 - easy to install! [Re: ldesign1]
      #5642961 - 01/25/13 04:44 PM

Vostok:

Thanks for that information. I ran a test with both versions of indices separately as well as together. I used an image of M42 @ 400mm f/5. I covers approximately 2x3 degrees.

Below is how long it took for AstroTortilla to solve it.

1: 200-series USNO Catalog = 42 seconds

2: 4000-series 2MASS Catalog (UNKNOWN. After 15 minutes, I stopped it.)

3: Both catalogs loaded together = 405 seconds

Vostok

#5643143 - 01/25/13 06:47 PM

Quote:

Is this updated version fairly straightforward to install and use? In another thread last year you (or one of development partners) had said that they would only recommend that experienced users and (presumably) those with previous Cygwin experience should use the AstroTortilla software.

Previously the installation was ridiculously hard. It was possible to do by precisely following instructions but the process involved manually compiling the astrometry.net inside the linux-like cygwin emulator via the command line with really frightening and complex commands etc. Even if you followed instructions, it was very easy to do something wrong if you had know idea what you were doing.

But as mentioned, that's something in the past. The new installer does everything for you automatically and actually you'll never even see Cygwin if you don't want to (for those of you who do, its command line is available just as before).

So if you use an ASCOM controlled mount and a supported camera capture software, go ahead and try it.

Ralph, I've seen reports of the 4000-series indices not working as well as the old ones elsewhere too. Let's se if we find out whether this happens alot.

Lauri

LoveChina61
professor emeritus

#5643707 - 01/26/13 01:58 AM

Ralph, does it come with a list of the precise command line statement(s) that I must use to plate solve?

That's basically all I want to do as my observatory scope loses its way occasionally. If I just need to type out one command statement at the command line prompt and then press my keyboard's Return key, then I should be able to handle that

Vostok

#5643801 - 01/26/13 04:51 AM

Quote:

Ralph, does it come with a list of the precise command line statement(s) that I must use to plate solve?

You don't need the command line to do anything. You can either connect Tortilla to a camera to make an exposure or load the latest exposure manually. The frame is then plate solved and it's coordinates, FOV and rotational angle are shown.

If you're connected to the telescope, you can add a sync point to where you're pointing. You can also make the scope slew back to the correct place you tried to slew to before you got lost.

If you for some reason DO want to use the command line, you can do that. Open up the Cygwin command line and enter "solve-field exposure.jpg". You don't need AstroTortilla for this, but getting Cygwin and solve-field (the astrometry.net command) to work is by far easiest to accomplish using the AsrtoTortilla installer (which by the way has the option to install only Cygwin and astrometry.net but not AstroTortilla itself).

The astrometry.net command line stuff however is not described in the user guide anymore since there's zero need for the command line in AsrtoTotrtilla itself.

Lauri

Edited by Vostok (01/26/13 04:59 AM)

Aimo

Reged: 01/28/10

#5643831 - 01/26/13 05:53 AM

Quote:

Is this updated version fairly straightforward to install and use? In another thread last year you (or one of development partners) had said that they would only recommend that experienced users and (presumably) those with previous Cygwin experience should use the AstroTortilla software. That left me with less than complete confidence although I would absolutely love to use it if there is no chance whatsoever that it will mess up my computer system.

The current version handles all the system setup, you only need to provide four sets of input if the defaults are not suitable:

• Where to install AstroTortilla (default C:\program files\astrotortilla),
  • where to install Cygwin (default c:\cygwin) and
  • Where to put Cygwin package cache (default c:\temp\cygcache\, deleting it only slows down upgrades), and
  • which index files to download (default is a rather wide-angle set). This is the only thing you need to figure out yourself.

Other than that, all you need to do is click Next. Optimizing the performance for your setup can be done in day light thru the AstroTortilla GUI: find the right combination for binning, downscaling, exposure time, and the mysterious --sigma N option and running a solve with the FileOpen camera selected. Use a few 2-5 second exposures as test material. Based on experience from a variety of users the fastest solve times seem to come when the log shows 200-300 stars detected from the exposure. I haven't tried the --objs N or --depth N yet to see if cutting the number after detection yields any improvements. Restricting the area of search to around 30 degrees of scope position also gains a significant improvement for scope syncing solves.

If you've downloaded the 200-series index files, you do not need the new ones.

If you use a single, fixed setup, you can set the "scale refinement" to 0.1 for a 10% margin for field size after the first blind solve. For multiple setups simply reset the scale related settings to large enough values, optimize the other parameters and save settings as a new file. Currently it still saves all settings, but you can open the saved config file e.g. into notepad and remove all the settings you don't want to change when loading the setup-specific file. I typically leave in only the exposure time, camera binning and all solver parameters, and when swithing to a different scope I simply load the pre-optimized settings leaving all the other AT parameters as they were.

When uninstalling, AstroTortilla removes itself and tells where you originally installed Cygwin, so you can delete it if it's not needed by any other software. AT uses one registry entry which is fully removed by the uninstall, Cygwin only uses disk space only with no changes to the computer setup. The user specific AT config file is left your application settings directory under astrotortilla.sf.net/AstroTortilla/ and it takes about 1-2kB. I don't want to mess up my computer and as creating a new release package means running the install-uninstall cycle several times to verify all the combinations, I do take care on what's done and where.

Quote:

I have no experience whatsoever with Cygwin and am not even sure what it is.

As for Cygwin, it has a good write-up in Wikipedia. In short it's an environment for POSIX (i.e. Unix and Linux) software to be compiled against in order to run on Windows. The plate-solver by astrometry.net uses several traditional Unix utilities and is written for the POSIX APIs, so the easiest way to make it run on Windows is to use the Cygwin environment.

If you don't want know anything else about Cygwin, there's no need to. It's prone to breaking when upgrading or adding new features, but we take care of running the recovery commands automatically when upgraded/installed/updated/refreshed thru the AT installer.

Quote:

That's basically all I want to do as my observatory scope loses its way occasionally. If I just need to type out one command statement at the command line prompt and then press my keyboard's Return key, then I should be able to handle that

AT doesn't have a command line interface for the time being, only a simple point-and-click interface. As soon as the current version reaches sufficient maturity, I'll start writing the AT2 with a better overall architecture enabling a couple of features I'm desperately missing in the current one, which are difficult to fit in the current codebase. As for schedule, this is a free, fully open-source hobby project helping another hobby a bit, so no promises.

-Antti

Edited by Aimo (01/26/13 06:07 AM)

LoveChina61
professor emeritus

Re: AstroTortilla 0.4 - easy to install! new [Re: Aimo]
      #5643951 - 01/26/13 08:32 AM

Can it work on Windows Vista? Also, where can I download the 200-series index files? I only readily saw access to the 4000-series files on the AstroTortilla website.

Thanks!

Aimo

Reged: 01/28/10

#5644631 - 01/26/13 03:50 PM

Quote:

Can it work on Windows Vista? Also, where can I download the 200-series index files? I only readily saw access to the 4000-series files on the AstroTortilla website.
Thanks!

It has been tested on Xp and Win7, so I don't see a reason it wouldn't work on Vista. The 200-series indexes are still covered by the same restrictions and access instructions as before, the 2MASS based 4000-series indexes are GPL licenced. They are also more accurate than the 200-series indexes based on USNO-B and they contain at least as many star-quads as the USNO-B based indexes down to the same minimum star-quad features of 2 arcminutes.

-Antti

LoveChina61
professor emeritus

Re: AstroTortilla 0.4 - easy to install! new [Re: Aimo]
      #5647885 - 01/28/13 11:32 AM

I finally was able to download everything including the massive index files. I got it installed. Out of about 8 tries, it solved twice. It took about 20 minutes to solve each of those two times. The other times it was not able to solve even after 45 minutes so I exited out of the program and tried another picture file instead.

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or what. I wonder if using the 200-series index files would work better. I mean, were most people getting good solves quickly with those indexes in place? Alternatively, I wonder if you can suggest some other parameters that I can insert into the program?

Thanks for any help you can give! I love to use the astrometry.net online and have had good results with it most of the time. But I do not always have an internet connection available and would love to be able to use it offline.

fmhill
sage

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
      #5648149 - 01/28/13 01:16 PM

You should be getting plate solves much faster than 20 minutes. I have Astrotortilla running on a LAPTOP computer with an Intel i3 processor and 6GB RAM with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit operating system and resolves take 7 to 20 seconds.

Try setting Sigma to 100, that is what I find works best...

It would help to understand what problem you are having if you would tell us what your computer is, CPU, amount of RAM, and operating system. Also what the FOV and focal length of your telescope.

Edited by fmhill (01/28/13 01:19 PM)

LoveChina61
professor emeritus

Re: AstroTortilla 0.4 - easy to install! new [Re: fmhill]
      #5649181 - 01/28/13 08:24 PM

I set the Sigma to 100 but it doesn't appear to be helping at all.

A handful of seconds after it starts trying to do a plate solve, at the bottom of the screen it says "Field 1 did not solve (index index-4000-07.fits, field objects 1-10)" and then keeps sifting through the various index files to no avail.

For testing purposes, I am only using picture files that were already able to be solved by the astrometry.net online site.

My computer system is fairly decent:
Vista Home 32-bit, Intel duo core 2.4gz, 3gig RAM

I am using a SBIG 2000xcm with pixel size 7.4 x 7.4 microns
FOV 28.3 x 21.2 arcmin (per Astrometry.net online plate solve)
2.22 arcsec/pixel

1422mm Focal length from my Meade LX200 10" Classic, native focal length 2540 (@f10) x .56 focal reducer in place.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated

fmhill
sage

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
      #5649289 - 01/28/13 09:21 PM

Vista is an operating system I know nothing about however tests I have done with Astrotortilla on various different Windows computers leads me to think your computer should not be the cause of such long resolve times.

What do you have Scale Miunimum and Scale Maximum set to
?

As I use two different telescopes, I set Scale Min to .2 (0.2) and scale maximum to 2 which is a range both my telescopes FOV fit within...

What range of indexes do you have installed?

What format and size are the image files you are using?

Edited by fmhill (01/28/13 09:23 PM)

LoveChina61
professor emeritus

Re: AstroTortilla 0.4 - easy to install! new [Re: fmhill]
      #5649971 - 01/29/13 10:13 AM

The scale_low was previously set to 0 and I changed it to 0.2

The scale_high was set to 179 and I changed it to 2 as you suggested.

I then tried it out again but it did not solve after 25 minutes so I stopped it. I still see the message "Field 1 did not solve.." and then it starts to thumb through the index files.

The pictures I am trying to solve with are JPEG files that are 295x345 in dimension and 28kb in size. FOV = 28.3 x 21.2 arcmin. They are screenshots of the 10 seconds focusing shots my camera was displaying on the computer screen. Each of the pictures was successfully solved by the online version of the Astrometry.net plate-solver.

I downloaded the indexes beginning with the ones that were 20% of the size of my camera's FOV and all other index files on up to 30 arcmins. Altogether it was something like 3.39gigs of index file data.

Thanks for hanging in there with me

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4336

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics