Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
SpaceRooster

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: Georgia
Eyepeice focal length descision
      #5642997 - 01/25/13 05:16 PM

I am thinking about getting one of the TMB Planetary II's that are on sale (was planning on getting a Paradigm, but $40 vs $60 dollars is nice on a budget ). The thing I am trying to decide is which focal length to get. For those of you who have similar scopes, what is the maximum power you are going to get out of a medium sized dob, 10 inch in my case (f/5)?

I am leaning towards the 6 or 7mm versions as the 5mm would fall too close to my 11mm barlowed. Thing is though, if I can squeeze 2.5mm out with decent contrast, I might still go for the 5. Anybody had much experience in this magnification range with this type of dob? For the record, seeing around here is usually 5-7, getting enough contrast out of x218 to see the Cassini division on Saturn.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DHurst

Reged: 03/10/06

Re: Eyepeice focal length descision new [Re: SpaceRooster]
      #5643044 - 01/25/13 05:44 PM

I can use a 3mm or 4mm once in a while during excellent seeing, but that is not often. Get the 7mm IMOHO.

rflinn68
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/09/12

Loc: Arkansas
Re: Eyepeice focal length descision new [Re: DHurst]
      #5643092 - 01/25/13 06:20 PM

I'd get the 5 or 6mm. I already have the 6 for my 10" dob and just ordered the 5mm today. No way can I even think of barlowing even a 6mm, much less a 5mm and you even have a little more focal length than my f/4.7. Barlowing a 7mm might work on an absolute perfect night. That would give you about 360X mags.

acochran
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/19/08

Loc: So. CA
Re: Eyepeice focal length descision new [Re: SpaceRooster]
      #5643136 - 01/25/13 06:44 PM

You mentioned your scope is f/5. Doesn't the ad say recommended for f/6 or longer???
I also was interested, but my scope is f/4.5

SpaceRooster

Re: Eyepeice focal length descision new [Re: acochran]
      #5643166 - 01/25/13 06:59 PM

Actually I just ran the math. Orion posts that the XT10 is f/5 in the manual, but it is actually f/4.7.

And acochran, of course they say that its recommended for f/6 or longer. Fast scopes are known to be less effective for high magnification/planetary viewing. Doesn't mean you CAN'T though. Just because a view won't be optimal compared to a slow refactor doesn't mean you shouldn't take a peek anyways. Saturn is beautiful through my scope at 5.5mm (and that is barlowed). Not as nice as an 8" f/10 refractor, but much, much better than staring at it wishing I had a better eyepeice. Don't let a fast f ratio scare you away from getting an eyepiece that will let you get more out of your scope. Especially when it is only $40 buck for a decent EP.

Edited by SpaceRooster (01/25/13 07:00 PM)

rflinn68
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/09/12

Loc: Arkansas
Re: Eyepeice focal length descision new [Re: acochran]
      #5643168 - 01/25/13 07:00 PM

Quote:

You mentioned your scope is f/5. Doesn't the ad say recommended for f/6 or longer???
I also was interested, but my scope is f/4.5

I think you read something wrong. You can go down to a 4.5mm eyepiece and still be at 1mm exit pupil on your f/4.5 scope. Any of these eyepieces will work fine in your scope. They do excellent in my f/4.7

SpaceRooster

Re: Eyepeice focal length descision new [Re: rflinn68]
      #5643173 - 01/25/13 07:04 PM

Quote:

I'd get the 5 or 6mm. I already have the 6 for my 10" dob and just ordered the 5mm today. No way can I even think of barlowing even a 6mm, much less a 5mm and you even have a little more focal length than my f/4.7. Barlowing a 7mm might work on an absolute perfect night. That would give you about 360X mags.

This is exactly what I needed to know. I figured pushing it much past 4mm would be pushing this type of scope to its limit.

Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 266

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics