Pages: 1
Larry Hansen
sage

Reged: 07/21/09

Loc: MIchigan - Nevada in winter
CPC 800 piggyback weight limit?
      #5644298 - 01/26/13 12:16 PM

Hello,

Could anyone advise me on the piggyback weight limit of a CPC800? I am looking to mount a Lunt Ls90 on my CPC800 in the future. The total piggyback weight that I am looking at would not exceed 12 pounds. Has anyone ever tried this much weight on a CPC800? And if so, how did it work. I would really like to try this solar scope but I do not want to invest in another mount for it.

Thank You,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
A. Viegas
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: CPC 800 piggyback weight limit? new [Re: Larry Hansen]
      #5644510 - 01/26/13 02:33 PM

Hi Larry,

I have mounted a C80ED and imaging camera with 6 lbs of scopestuff weights on a bottom rail. I estimate that is about 14-15 lbs including camera and/or 2" eyepieces. In Alt-Az I have found this combination to be problematic. With poor tracking, yet I believe this is due primarily to improper balance. I find it very difficult to achieve proper balance as the weights I have do not protrude far enough to offset the refractor. I have since removed the C80ED and i now use a PST on top with about 3 lbs of weights on the bottom rail and find tracking to not be impacted at all.

I have read of other users in fact running with much more than 10-15lbs of weight but i suspect they have very good balance. For me, with the first combination I could balance maybe in 30-70 degree in elevation, but at 90 or 0 degrees it was unbalanced. Perhaps on a wedge the balancing issues would be easier??

Al

1965healy
The Snarkster

Reged: 06/23/07

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: CPC 800 piggyback weight limit? new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5644840 - 01/26/13 06:11 PM

I've had an 80mm refractor, a 60mm finder, a canon dslr and a 2" diagonal with binoviewers on mine w/o problems. Pier mounted on a wedge. With the exception of the bike, the boats and the car in my signature most of it lives on the scope!

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 768

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics