Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
polaraligned
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/26/08

Re: Optic Craft Machining Clock Drive Review new [Re: johnlynch]
      #5652877 - 01/30/13 05:57 PM

There are plenty of opticians out there making mirrors of this quality level....Too bad you got screwed on this drive.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Optic Craft Machining Clock Drive Review *DELETED* new [Re: polaraligned]
      #5652930 - 01/30/13 06:19 PM

Post deleted by droid

Joe F Gafford
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/06

Loc: Denver, Colorado, US
Re: Optic Craft Machining Clock Drive Review new [Re: orion61]
      #5653517 - 01/31/13 01:47 AM

I thought that my problem with Mr. Clinard was a fluke all of these years. At the time I bought the mount upgrade from him, Byers went out of business. He was the only machinist left that would make the right sized gear for my particular mount. I was thinking on a Parks drive or mount, but I could not find any reviews of any kind for that mount. I did find a few for Optic Craft though.

That initial problem with the gear on the motor should of tipped me off. I worked on consumer electronics repair and for a known telescope machine shop afterwards doing gofer work and making their encoder assemblies for the after market mounts. In both places the QC was paramount. In the telescope shop, we tested the devices assembled before we shipped it out. Clear instructions were sent along with a CD with the other products in the line we made. We made the special mounting brackets himself and powder coat them along with the other items we made.

I was able to fix the problems with that drive assembly, but other people do no have that kind of skill. That is the major problem.

Joe

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/26/06

Loc: Riverview, FL, USA
Re: Optic Craft Machining Clock Drive Review new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5653558 - 01/31/13 02:48 AM

I read John Hayes' review of one of Optic Craft Machining's clock drive and was utterly floored! I am so happy that I was able to purchase an Ed Byers' drive. Additionally, my Byer's drive of 9" inches cost much less!!!

Unfortunately, I had to remove OC from my list of vendors on the VSC website.

Mel

polaraligned
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/26/08

Re: Optic Craft Machining Clock Drive Review new [Re: dawsonian2000]
      #5653717 - 01/31/13 07:18 AM

I hope somebody has forwarded him the link to this thread...

opticcraft1
Vendor (Optic Craft Machining)

Reged: 05/20/11

#5654430 - 01/31/13 02:32 PM

It is not good that Mr. Hayes and I have come to this misunderstanding. I would like to make a few commnets.
1—He asked for basic design dimensions that I provided to him. The assumption on my part is that I assumed he would realize that on a 5.6” worm gear with 359 teeth,that the gear would have to be 64 pitch. During the construction of his order I was going through a bad case of the flu and should not have been working. I see that I missed a debur on the ID bore of the clutch and I did not straighten one of the tie rod ends properly. They can easily be repositioned. I offered to replace the damaged worm gear at no cost him to include shipping charges.
2—Comments were made about rough finish on the clutch plates. This is done deliberately as I found that creating a sanded surface finish works well against the clutch gasket to get the proper clutch tension. I have been making the drives this way for over 15 years.
3—It is apparent that many of the commentators wish to condemn my work. It should also be known that we have provided 100’s of clock drives and well over 340 equatorial mountings over the past 28 years. These systems are all over the world. There are 56 systems supplied to various Universities and Institutions. We have been contracted seven times by NASA agencies for mountings and clock drives. Just last summer we provided a 2.5” head with 12” drives to JPL in Pasadena, CA. for an infra-red project. I do not get negative reports from the field and consider this situation with Mr. Hayes to be an anomaly.
4- Do to limitations on photo postings, I will be sending additional comments and photos on this issue in tandem.
Terry Clinard Optic Craft Machining Co.

Edited by iceblaze (02/01/13 02:27 PM)

opticcraft1

#5654495 - 01/31/13 03:10 PM Attachment (96 downloads)

Further comments from Optic Craft Machining Co. These comments are primarily directed to Dr. Hayes only.
Dr. Hayes, thought you might be interested in a solar dish array we provided to Raytheon Corp., Tucson, AZ. in 2009-2010 time frames. I see that you are an Adjunct Professor with “The University of Arizona” and have an impressive listing of patents under your authorship. I present this to you to somehow show you that are field quality standards are recognized by others including the University of Arizona.
The participants were the following: Dr. Roger Angel (Director of the Steward Observatory Mirror Laboratory). Dr. Angel provided the parabolic glass optical panels for the 10 foot solar dish. Raytheon provided the dish frame and had operational authority over the project. I provided (2) 24” clock drives with GO-TO system provided by my British partner AWR Technologies. The primary solar converter was made by Dr. Ugur Ortabasi (inventor of the first 41% all light solar to electric converter).
The project was successful and my clock drives moved and tracked the sun as intended. The payload was in excess of 550#’s.
At present this program has now moved to the University Of California. The main changes to the dish will be utilizing my new patent for plastic reinforced parabolic panels with 98.8% reflectivity in place of the glass parabolic panels. This reduces the cost of the panels by a large factor. This is a very existing project for me, because development of a 41% efficient solar collector will outperform any existing 16% maximum flat solar panel.

opticcraft1

#5654515 - 01/31/13 03:19 PM Attachment (90 downloads)

Continue comments from Optic Craft Machining Co.

Dr. Hayes here is a close up of the right ascension 24.4” clock drive used on the solar dish.
Once again the system performed flawlessly.

opticcraft1

#5654538 - 01/31/13 03:26 PM Attachment (82 downloads)

Continued comments from Optic Craft Machining Co.

The attached photo is one my systems using two 9” clock drives coupled to a GO-TO AWR Technologies systems. The pillow block bearings in this case are enclosed and the shaft diameters are 2.5”.
My customer is extremely pleased and has sent me many astro CCD photos using this configuration.

opticcraft1

#5654555 - 01/31/13 03:36 PM Attachment (73 downloads)

Further comments from Optic Craft Machining Co.

The attached photo is a system I manufactured four months ago. It uses two of my 9” RA drives, 1.5” shafts, wedge and my fabricated pier. Once again no problems. System performs to all operating standards.

opticcraft1

#5654571 - 01/31/13 03:44 PM Attachment (75 downloads)

Further comments from Optic Craft Machining Co.

Attached is simple design 2” shaft diameter simple bushing design equatorial mounting using one 6.6” clock drive, wedge and fabricated oak tripod. Max size OTS 10” F/4.5 or 6” f/10 refractor.

All positive operating reports from my customers.

opticcraft1

#5654578 - 01/31/13 03:50 PM Attachment (82 downloads)

Last comments from Optic Craft Machining Co.

Attached is an example of one of the many 2.5” head assemblies we have constructed over the years. This particular assembly is installed at a local University here in Michigan. It uses 2.5” SS shafts, a 12” RA drive , a 9” DEC drive, wedge and AWR GO-TO system. The OTA is a Celestron C-14.

Runs perfectly.

ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

Re: Optic Craft Machining Clock Drive Review new [Re: opticcraft1]
      #5654587 - 01/31/13 03:57 PM

Terry,

You say that your issue with Dr. Hays was an anomaly. If so, and I have no reason to doubt you, then I would recommend that you bend over backwards to satisfy him.

I own my own business and would never let it get this far. As long as you believe that what he showed us was in fact what you delivered then you should pony up and get this resolved.

If, however, Dr. Hays did not show what you delivered, shame on him.

Tony

Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
      #5654592 - 01/31/13 03:59 PM

Do you believe that Mr. Hayes worm, as received and photographed, is a good representation of your work?

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/26/06

Loc: Riverview, FL, USA
Re: Optic Craft Machining Clock Drive Review new [Re: ahopp]
      #5654724 - 01/31/13 05:19 PM

Good recommendations, Tony. I guess I am as guity as others in judging OC before getting the story from Terry's side. I hold off on removing OC site from my site until we all can come to an honest consensus on the matter.

I will be awaiting "the rest of the story"...

Mel

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5654728 - 01/31/13 05:21 PM

You can probably make this right with the customer. You should.

Edited by iceblaze (02/01/13 02:27 PM)

Jay_Bird
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/04/06

Loc: USA
Re: Optic Craft Machining Clock Drive Review new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5654772 - 01/31/13 05:50 PM

I'm glad to see that OC responded to the "OP" and hope that the two of them take the opportunity to come to terms to resolve this.

Even after all these posts, they are the ONLY TWO who are fully informed about the matter, and fully invested in the outcome.

Gert K A
sage

Reged: 07/16/12

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
      #5654872 - 01/31/13 06:41 PM

Quote:

Terry Clinard Optic Craft Machining Co. :

During the construction of his order I was going through a bad case of the flu and should not have been working.

I agree

ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

Re: Optic Craft Machining Clock Drive Review new [Re: Gert K A]
      #5655123 - 01/31/13 09:32 PM

Terry,

One more point, please do not work around machinery while sick. No one wants you to get injured to meet some self imposed, or otherwise, deadline. Be safe, be good and and nip this thing in the bud...

Tony

iceblaze
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/15/11

Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, ...
Re: Optic Craft Machining Clock Drive Review new [Re: ahopp]
      #5655313 - 01/31/13 11:29 PM

This thread is now re-opened. You will notice that almost nothing has changed. We believe that both parties need to be heard here, so long as everyone can play nice. This means we expect constructive, respectful posts, and not vendor bashing. We will also not tolerate any vendor pushing as both of these are direct violations of our ToS. So please, everyone play nice, and if Dr. Hayes and Opticraft wish to work this out publicly, in a respectful manner, then we have no problems with it.

Thanks,

-James

Edited by iceblaze (02/01/13 08:17 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14637

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics