Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
stratocaster
sage

Reged: 10/27/11

Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: Geo.]
      #5642656 - 01/25/13 02:00 PM

USPS parcel post with delivery confirmation will indeed provide tracking info. I just found this out very recently myself.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pauls72
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/28/07

Loc: LaPorte, IN
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: stratocaster]
      #5642682 - 01/25/13 02:17 PM

The post office (USPS) is generally the cheapest way to ship smaller items. The flat rate boxes are usually the most cost effective. However their tracking leaves a lot to be desired. Fortunately they do a much better job at shipping the packages than they do at tracking them.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: Pauls72]
      #5642693 - 01/25/13 02:20 PM

Yup. Recent tracking numbers come up as "can't find".

Hitech
sage

Reged: 06/03/10

Loc: NW PA.
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: Billydee]
      #5642771 - 01/25/13 03:08 PM

Quote:

The USPS has an edge on small items. The price includes delivery confirmation (a simple type of tracking) for free. Bill

The flat rate priority mail handled at your local post office normally doesn't not include delivery confirmation. That's an extra cost at around 85¢. Delivery confirmation is free only when you use online shipping.

meteorite

Reged: 01/28/06

Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: Hitech]
      #5643893 - 01/26/13 07:46 AM

For small items I use USPS with delivery confirmation. Yes, it does cost extra but it is still less expensive than UPS or fedex. Delivery confirmation has never failed me.

I recently shipped a small package via USPS with delivery confirmation. They guy emailed me and wrote that he never received the package. I was able to copy from the USPS website all the information necessary to prove to him that the package was delivered. I never heard back from him.

Here is an interesting twist. Earlier this week I ordered a diagonal from Orion. They sent it via UPS. I tracked it's progress. It was supposed to have been delivered yesterday (Friday) but instead the tracking information shows they handed it over to USPS and tracking ceased. I hope it is delivered today...

CJK
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: Northeast TN
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: meteorite]
      #5643905 - 01/26/13 07:56 AM

Quote:

Here is an interesting twist. Earlier this week I ordered a diagonal from Orion. They sent it via UPS. I tracked it's progress. It was supposed to have been delivered yesterday (Friday) but instead the tracking information shows they handed it over to USPS and tracking ceased. I hope it is delivered today...

Yep, that's what UPS calls "SmartPost" -- it's generally delivered the day after UPS hands the package over to the USPS facility in the destination city. I've sometimes been able to track packages sent that way by submitting the same tracking number to the USPS system.

-- Chris

Footbag
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: CJK]
      #5643972 - 01/26/13 08:48 AM

Smartpost is the worst shipping service known to man. Besides the fact that you lose all accountablility from FedEx or UPS, you package criss crosses the country with no rhyme or reason.

I've boycotted vendors over it.

meteorite

Reged: 01/28/06

Re: Shipping relatively small things? [Re: Footbag]
      #5644350 - 01/26/13 12:51 PM

Well, the USPS did not deliver my diagonal today.

So much for Smartpost.

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/07/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: Thomas Karpf]
      #5650684 - 01/29/13 04:24 PM

Welllllll, just got back from the PO and USPS has changed their "Delivery Conformation" to "Tracking" and it's now included in Priority and above shipping. You can also purchase it for Parcel Post and First Class. We'll see if it's any better than before!!!

PaulEK
sage

Reged: 05/25/08

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: tag1260]
      #5650839 - 01/29/13 05:58 PM

I raise the money I use for my astronomy habit by buying, re-furbishing, and re-selling old Press cameras and lenses on eBay. Over the past twelve years I've shipped more than a thousand items all over the world using USPS. Only once was an item damaged (and I'm convinced this was done by a buyer who 'changed his mind'; the package -- a pretty expensive lens -- looked like it had been stabbed with an ice pick, and the buyer was not a pleasant person to deal with, even before the package was received). No item has ever been lost.

As others have said, USPS recently changed their tracking, and it is now excellent.

The one problem I've had is with International insurance. The maximum amount allowed by USPS is usually pretty low (usually under $1000), and it varies from country to country. My Postmaster says that the limit is not set by them, but by each country. It's not often that I sell something for that much, but when I have, and buyers wanted to pay the extra cost (usually more than double), I've used another shipper.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: PaulEK]
      #5651177 - 01/29/13 09:14 PM

Quote:

I raise the money I use for my astronomy habit by buying, re-furbishing, and re-selling old Press cameras and lenses on eBay. Over the past twelve years I've shipped more than a thousand items all over the world using USPS. Only once was an item damaged (and I'm convinced this was done by a buyer who 'changed his mind'; the package -- a pretty expensive lens -- looked like it had been stabbed with an ice pick, and the buyer was not a pleasant person to deal with, even before the package was received). No item has ever been lost.

As others have said, USPS recently changed their tracking, and it is now excellent.

The one problem I've had is with International insurance. The maximum amount allowed by USPS is usually pretty low (usually under $1000), and it varies from country to country. My Postmaster says that the limit is not set by them, but by each country. It's not often that I sell something for that much, but when I have, and buyers wanted to pay the extra cost (usually more than double), I've used another shipper.

I use USPS exclusively. When insurance to a particular country won't cover the product, I split it into multiple boxes. Because it reduces the weight of each box, it also reduces each package's shipping cost. Multiple boxes cost more to ship, but insurance is important.

Of course, I ship primarily smaller items. What I said wouldn't apply to larger or radically more expensive items.

When I bought a high-end laptop a few years ago, it was FedEx'd to me overnight from China! Somebody ate some expensive freight, and it wasn't yours truly.

PaulEK
sage

Reged: 05/25/08

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Shipping relatively small things? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5652370 - 01/30/13 01:45 PM

Overnight; wow! I've been very impressed how quickly small things (Camera batteries, filters, etc) come to me from China, especially Hong Kong. And there's often no charge for shipping... but overnight!

What I sell would typically not be easy to split amongst boxes, but it's a great idea that I'll keep in mind.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1845

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics