Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1
Michael Morris

Reged: 01/05/05

Loc: Worcestershire, UK
Help with software for taking snapshots of sky. new
      #5643872 - 01/26/13 07:10 AM

Iím in the process of setting up my observatory for remote monitoring/semi-remote operation during imaging. Iíll be monitoring the observatory computer on the computer in my study using Teamviewer remote access software. This will not only allow me to control the scope/camera/focuser/filter wheel etc., but also monitor the scope through a webcam mounted on the observatory wall and monitor the sky through a Samsung SDC435 CCTV camera mounted in a clear dome, connected to the observatory computer with a cheap analogue to video converter.. The CCTV camera was originally (and still is) set up as a meteor detection camera using HandyAVI software to monitor and record suspect events. Because this software is continuously recording and monitoring AVI files, it uses up a lot of processing power.
I need a piece of software that will only use a fraction of this processing capacity.

The problem I have is that observatory computer is quite slow (single core processor running XP home), so I donít want to overload the computer by running too many high processing power usage programs on it at once.

For monitoring sky conditions I only need the computer to update the image every few seconds - 10-20 seconds intervals would be fine. Has anyone got ideas of any free/very low cost software that would meet these criteria?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Michael Morris

Reged: 01/05/05

Loc: Worcestershire, UK
Re: Help with software for taking snapshots of sky. [Re: Michael Morris]
      #5644358 - 01/26/13 12:54 PM

I thought I had found exactly what I'm after. It's one of the old Microsofy powertoys for Windoes XP called Timershot. However, whilst it works great on a webcam, unlike K3CCDTools and SharpCap it doesn't recognise the analogue/digital converter. Back to the drawing board.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 402

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics