Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #5631906 - 01/19/13 05:24 PM

This atlas is going to be one of my very next purchases here, as I am a lunaholic to the core, and all of these reviews have pretty much sealed the deal for me

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5632005 - 01/19/13 06:47 PM

The scale of it is smack dab halfway in between the Rukl atlas and the Rukl/S&T foldout lunar chart. And, the level of detail is such that, when comparing it with the big Rukl atlas, it really highlights how amazingly accurate Rukl is.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5641586 - 01/24/13 09:52 PM

I received my signed copy of the Atlas today. Thanks, Mr. Wood!

I like it. Even though it might have a short run once all the Lunatics get their copies, and the value might climb like a Rukl, I'm still putting mine in the equipment bag for in-the-field Moon viewing. The Atlas is spiral bond, and though the pages aren't laminated, they look like they should stand up pretty well to dew and usage in the real world.

The individual maps are numbered and also labeled by a significant feature on the map, for example, "Iridum 20," or "Crisium 2." This is a nice touch, very Rukl-like, and should make quick reference easier.

Mike

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5641687 - 01/24/13 10:53 PM

Quote:

I received my signed copy of the Atlas today. Thanks, Mr. Wood!

I like it. Even though it might have a short run once all the Lunatics get their copies, and the value might climb like a Rukl, I'm still putting mine in the equipment bag for in-the-field Moon viewing. The Atlas is spiral bond, and though the pages aren't laminated, they look like they should stand up pretty well to dew and usage in the real world.

The individual maps are numbered and also labeled by a significant feature on the map, for example, "Iridum 20," or "Crisium 2." This is a nice touch, very Rukl-like, and should make quick reference easier.

Mike

Glad it came!

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: Oregon USA
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5644872 - 01/26/13 06:33 PM

All these great reviews convinced me to order a copy today. I have the Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas but not the Rukl. Also recently splurged on the S&T topographic moon globe -- I think I'm set now!
---Maya

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
      #5651497 - 01/30/13 01:01 AM

Ordered my copy last week. Just wondering if there was any confirmation of your order or comfirmation of shipping, or did it just show up in your mailbox one day?

Eric

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5651691 - 01/30/13 07:03 AM

Yes, I got a confirmation of the order. I paid through PayPal, so I always get a confirmation from them, in any case. But I never got a confirmation of shipping because it was never shipped! I won't go into details, but after waiting patiently for six weeks, I finally emailed and the Atlas was shipped to me next business day.

I hope before the next edition, they get up to speed on how to run a mailorder business. So far a great Moon Atlas, but not so good order fulfillment.

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5652530 - 01/30/13 03:17 PM

Well, to be fair, it's pretty much Chuck Wood assembling them and mailing them off. There's not an actual business, I don't think; just a couple of guys who put together a really nice product and are trying to distribute it smoothly. Things happen. I certainly couldn't do better!

I have a friend who created and marketed a game once, similar to Trivial Pursuit. It's a good game (naturally I bought one, and several more as gifts); but he ended up with boxes and boxes of them that he couldn't get rid of. The distribution part just killed him. I still see it at thrift stores occasionally.

It's a lot harder than you'd think to do this sort of thing.

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
      #5652881 - 01/30/13 05:59 PM

I caved and ordered one. I tried but couldn't resist. I'll happily read through it, use it as needed, and put it next to the SIX other moon atlases I own.
This does not include the laminated maps and the old National Geographic paper map.
Who owns more than me?

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: rookie]
      #5652962 - 01/30/13 06:28 PM

Welll... are you talking dedicated lunar atlases, or books that include lunar atlases as well (e.g. "Atlas of the Solar System")?

If the former - I have 10 others.
If the latter, I have 15 or 16 others (I didn't count exactly).

Who's worse than me?

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
      #5653182 - 01/30/13 08:50 PM

You BOTH rock!!!!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5653221 - 01/30/13 09:10 PM

Quote:

Well, I have done similar things before, and figured out how to do them well enough. A lot of it is just common sense, setting aside the time to do it, and trying to see things from the customer's viewpoint. One of the worst things you can do is get sloppy about order fulfillment. Keep track of when orders were received, when they were paid, and then fulfill them FIFO. It just makes good sense.

Mike

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

#5653322 - 01/30/13 10:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I have done similar things before, and figured out how to do them well enough. A lot of it is just common sense, setting aside the time to do it, and trying to see things from the customer's viewpoint. One of the worst things you can do is get sloppy about order fulfillment. Keep track of when orders were received, when they were paid, and then fulfill them FIFO. It just makes good sense.

Mike

Mike, I eagerly await your forthcoming lunar atlas, cool to hear you got the distribution details all ironed out ahead of time!

I ended up ordering two of these puppies for the same shipping cost ... in part due to a terrible case of G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) I have had lately, that has been fueled in large part by this here fine forum , one to use under Luna's fair reflections, and one to squirrel away for a rainy day

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5653377 - 01/30/13 10:49 PM

When did I say I ever wrote a lunar atlas or ever intend to? I fully understand that people can be intelligent and very capable at some things, yet utterly ingnorant and incapable at others. I see it all the time, and am never really surprised by it.

Mr. Wood has written a very fine lunar atlas and I intend to keep it in my equipment bag for field observation. But I would not hire him to distribute my Christmas cards.

I'm over it. I hope the distribution problems are all corrected before I order the next edition.

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: RobertED]
      #5653501 - 01/31/13 01:17 AM

Quote:

You BOTH rock!!!!

LOL! Rocks in the head, more likely!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5653696 - 01/31/13 06:54 AM

MOON rocks!

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
      #5656717 - 02/01/13 04:39 PM

My book came today! Fast shipping and autographed too! I've been paging through it the past hour. It's easy to navigate due to the map numbers and companion locator on each page. I also love the size. It sits comfortably on my lap, and opens flat with a wire binding. The pages are glossy and sturdy. The printing is crisp and the photos are awesome. I'm very impressed. It's a winner.

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: rookie]
      #5656857 - 02/01/13 05:53 PM

Just got it today 5 business days to Canada. That is impressive. Autographed and in perfect condition. Everything that Rookie says above!

Eric

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: Oregon USA
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5658716 - 02/02/13 06:42 PM

Got mine!!!! Arrived this afternoon in just 4 days (I ordered on Jan. 26th) that is a really quick processing for cross-country delivery IMO. Everyone is right on the money -- it's a fine atlas, it will be very useful at the scope as it's set up, great details and info...and mine is also nicely autographed (thank you Mr. Wood!). I have "The Modern Moon" but I wouldn't have known of this atlas if it weren't for this thread, so thanks to all here for mentioning it too!
---Maya

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon [Re: Crow Haven]
      #5659255 - 02/03/13 01:37 AM

Yeah; I think the authors hit one out of the park with this atlas.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9158

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics