Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
piaras
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/26/09

Loc: Niagara Region
Re: Coulter Dobsonians new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5645920 - 01/27/13 11:56 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

I have had a Coulter Odyssey 13.1 since 1990 about. There is not much left that is original any more. I built a truss setup around the optics and the only thing still original is the base, to be replaced this spring and the primary mirror, which is about 60 days away from replacement as well. Zambuto!
Pierre

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kutno
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/17/09

Re: Coulter Dobsonians new [Re: Calypte]
      #5646323 - 01/27/13 04:08 PM

Quote:

Is it possible to collimate the secondary on the Coulter?

A hammer worked splendidly. Only had to do it once; thereafter, the Odyssey Compact gave wonderful views of Saturn, Jupiter, and lunar landscapes.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Coulter Dobsonians new [Re: Kutno]
      #5646568 - 01/27/13 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A hammer worked splendidly. Only had to do it once; thereafter, the Odyssey Compact gave wonderful views of Saturn, Jupiter, and lunar landscapes.

The "bar" can be turned with a large crescent wrench. The secondary can be turned in the other axis with a plastic washer between the plate and bar and a box end wrench on the nut.
Not exactly fine tune adjustments, however.

Kutno
Pooh-Bah

Re: Coulter Dobsonians new [Re: Starman1]
      #5646855 - 01/27/13 08:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The "bar" can be turned with a large crescent wrench. The secondary can be turned in the other axis with a plastic washer between the plate and bar and a box end wrench on the nut.

I wish I had the option to use a wrench alone, Don. Things were so frozen that I had no choice. Only by the grace of God did everything fall into place so that the special Orion eyepiece I used showed the scope was perfectly collimated after the blow.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Coulter Dobsonians new [Re: Kutno]
      #5646961 - 01/27/13 09:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wish I had the option to use a wrench alone, Don. Things were so frozen that I had no choice. Only by the grace of God did everything fall into place so that the special Orion eyepiece I used showed the scope was perfectly collimated after the blow.

Was that a Howie Glatter hammer or a Catseye hammer?

Kutno
Pooh-Bah

Re: Coulter Dobsonians new [Re: Starman1]
      #5647128 - 01/27/13 10:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Was that a Howie Glatter hammer or a Catseye hammer?

Now that would truly be innovative!

Sorry to disappoint you: It was a Stanley 20 oz. claw hammer with a wooden handle. The Compact is long gone; but the Stanley is still in my tool bag.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2293

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics