Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: Chucky]
      #5544401 - 11/28/12 07:00 PM

Quote:

<< It was not easy to pull the trigger, thinking a Retina Mini model is likely coming soon. >>

Jeff, I highly doubt it'll make that much difference just using the Mini at night with a scope. The current screen is very adequate for such use.

Actually, I stalled buying the currently offered mini knowing full well that retina display mini will be released at some point next year, but generally agree the current display would be adequete.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: ewave]
      #5544424 - 11/28/12 07:27 PM

Now that I have my delivery notification for next week, I'm not even thinking about the Retina display.

helpwanted
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5544439 - 11/28/12 07:41 PM

i see no difference between retina and regular. i was told you only really notice it if watching a movie

Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: helpwanted]
      #5545044 - 11/29/12 07:35 AM

<< Actually, I stalled buying the currently offered mini knowing full well that retina display mini will be released at some point next year, but generally agree the current display would be adequete. >>

There will always be a 'newer and better model' 'coming soon'. With life being short, get what you need and will use now.....now, not later. Especially when that newer and better model will not really impact your use of the thing. With respects to the Mini - if you will be using it primarily with the scope in the field, again the current screen is well more than adequate. It's really, really nice.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#5546896 - 11/30/12 10:05 AM

When I placed my order the promised delivery date was December 14th.

A few days ago I got a shipment notification that it would arrive Tuesday the 4th.

Fed-Ex showed up with my iPad Mini yesterday!

Naturally, one of the first things I did was get SkySafari Plus installed - it looks great! And sooo much easier to see and navigate than the iPhone. I picked up a couple of sheets of Red Eyes cling film, need to get this tested soon.

One thing that immediately jumps out - it feels weightless, but not flimsy or cheap. The Mini will absolutely disappear in a large jacket pocket.

As much as love my Uranometria charts, I think I'm ready to make the transition to all-electronic.

rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
      #5546898 - 11/30/12 10:09 AM

I may have to get one. My wife is on vacation with our iPad and I miss it.

Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
      #5547290 - 11/30/12 02:01 PM

<< Fed-Ex showed up with my iPad Mini yesterday! >>

Great Jeff. Anxious to hear how the Red Eyes work for you. Passed by your way last week....driving up to visit Lowell. Nice part of the country for sure.

ischua
Under the Radar

Reged: 07/17/08

Loc: Below Snow Plop, N Y
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: Chucky]
      #5619552 - 01/12/13 05:59 PM

How has the Mini held up to actual use? I'm still on the fence as weather to get the Mini or the IPad2.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: ischua]
      #5622848 - 01/14/13 03:07 PM

Record cold weather in Arizona has precluded most field use for me. But day to day use it's fabulous. I love mine.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
      #5623013 - 01/14/13 04:28 PM

I've had mine (Mini) since mid-November. As far as I can tell, it's suffered no ill effects from a fair amount of traveling with me in luggage and being lugged around birding or out under the stars.

FWIW, my one regret is not buying one with more than the minimum memory offered. Whenever I add an app or something I have to delete music to make space.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #5625508 - 01/16/13 12:19 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

Quote:

How has the Mini held up to actual use? I'm still on the fence as weather to get the Mini or the IPad2.

I have been using the iPad Mini a lot indoors the past 5-6 weeks and in the field for my last two sessions (1/9 and 1/14). I loved how lightweight and thin the Mini is, but for use in the field I purchased the Otterbox Defender case and let me say, the iPad Mini + Otterbox Defender case + SkySafari Pro combination is an absolute champ!! The Defender case lends the iPad ruggedness and protection that gives you peace of mind--it is reminiscent of those Panasonic Toughbooks! Using SSP in night mode (as you normally would while observing at night), the battery is conserved even more. A 2 hr session took the battery down only about 20% or so, being on 100% of the time.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: Starman81]
      #5625512 - 01/16/13 12:22 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

The back of the case:

demiles
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

#5625657 - 01/16/13 05:29 AM

Does the mini still fit in the pocket of the Dark Sky Apparrel observing vest with this case?

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#5625881 - 01/16/13 09:50 AM

I hate to say it, but I have had mine fall from a height of about 30" several times now. Kind of a long story - I'm a pilot and it relates to early attempts to clip it to the chart holder on the flight deck. Problem resolved now.

In any event, the only damage is a few scratches on the back of the case. It doesn't concern me much because it's not the type of item I would ever consider reselling. But it is nice to know the unit is fairly robust.

Like my iPhone, I expect it to take some wear over the years and depreciate until it gets replaced with a more capable model. My choice is to keep the slim lines for pocketability.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
      #5626075 - 01/16/13 12:01 PM

iPad Mini Defender Case: Thanks, I hadn't heard about those. The installation video on the Otterbox website convinced me, & I just ordered one. I've been using iPad + Sky Safari with binocs & recliner a lot lately, and I worry about the iPad slipping off my lap onto the concrete. This looks perfect.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

#5626437 - 01/16/13 03:52 PM

Quote:

I hate to say it, but I have had mine fall from a height of about 30" several times now. Kind of a long story - I'm a pilot and it relates to early attempts to clip it to the chart holder on the flight deck. Problem resolved now.

In any event, the only damage is a few scratches on the back of the case. It doesn't concern me much because it's not the type of item I would ever consider reselling. But it is nice to know the unit is fairly robust.

Like my iPhone, I expect it to take some wear over the years and depreciate until it gets replaced with a more capable model. My choice is to keep the slim lines for pocketability.

The slim lines and the svelte figure of the iPad Mini are definitely intoxicating! A nice half-measure would be to get a different kind of rugged case just for the metal back of the device and then perhaps a static cling type of screen protector that is commonly sold for smartphones. Make no mistake, the Otterbox Defender does change the entire look and feel of iPad Mini with the increased heft and thickness, but it has worked well for me both outdoors and indoors.

ischua
Under the Radar

#5628551 - 01/17/13 05:49 PM

Picking it up Saturday

ischua
Under the Radar

#5632931 - 01/20/13 10:38 AM

My first impression was Ok its going to be just like my Touch only bigger. NOT I had only ever used Sky Safari on my Touch and phone. I had no idea what I was missing! I hope all my other apps look as good.

demiles
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow [Re: demiles]
      #5644882 - 01/26/13 06:38 PM

Quote:

Does the mini still fit in the pocket of the Dark Sky Apparrel observing vest with this case?

Since Best Buy had the Otter Box case on sale I picked one up and gave it try and yes it fit nicely in the pocket of the vest.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: demiles]
      #5652250 - 01/30/13 12:45 PM

I keep my mini in a leather case with a flip cover. The case gives the screen protection from any fall with the screen landing directly on a rock. I working on a bracket that will mate the leather case to a bracket on my Discmount DM6. It would allow me to use it one handed and flip the leather flip cover down to reduce screen light when I am at the eyepiece.

I have the iPhone 5 and the 3rd generation retina iPad. The red screen view of the iPhone is a bit hard for my older eyes. The full size iPad works great but it is a bit heavy to keep on your person or adapting to a bracket. I think the mini is a good balance of readability and portability. The battery on the mini charges up faster than the retina version.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4721

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics