Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: Traveler]
      #5640387 - 01/24/13 10:42 AM

Quote:

Are these BCO's really different (optical wise) then the BGO's besides the differences in coating?

They are the same in that they are an Abbe Design.

They are different in that this Abbe design is modified relative to the BGOs since the lenses are much larger in diameter.

At the eye, for me the perceived difference is that the BCOs present a slightly brighter image than the BGOs. And of course the field stop is larger so the AFOV is larger in the BCO.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
keroppilee

Reged: 09/14/12

Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #5640566 - 01/24/13 12:24 PM

thanks for the advice. so far the most i've had to move my scope is when i barlow my 11mm to 2x. I don't find it that bad but I do want to give a high mag not so widefield a try to see if i can handle it.

Edited by keroppilee (01/24/13 01:03 PM)

ThomasM
sage

Reged: 04/19/09

Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: BillP]
      #5644876 - 01/26/13 06:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Are these BCO's really different (optical wise) then the BGO's besides the differences in coating?

They are the same in that they are an Abbe Design.

They are different in that this Abbe design is modified relative to the BGOs since the lenses are much larger in diameter.

At the eye, for me the perceived difference is that the BCOs present a slightly brighter image than the BGOs.

I fully agree, the transmission of the 10 mm BCO is very high, 97 %.
Since several people now own these eypecies, has anybody compared them with the top notch, such as Zeiss abbe?

best regards

Thomas

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: ThomasM]
      #5644940 - 01/26/13 07:15 PM

I got my 18 BCO a few days ago but nothing but clouds here till Monday. Not that I mind as we are getting much needed rain. Sadly I have no Zeiss to compare it to. However I can match mags with my 24 Brandon using various barlows and Powermates. I like the look of the BCO, it feels solid, the extra FOV is a plus and the eyecup is comfortable if a bit on the thin side. David

John Huntley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/16/06

Loc: South West England
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression [Re: dscarpa]
      #5645075 - 01/26/13 08:23 PM

I've compared the 18mm BCO with the same focal length BGO and I felt the BCO showed just a bit more contrast and brighness on M42 and M81 and 82. Both seemed equally sharp on star images although the BCO showed some distortion in the outer 10% or so of the field of view when used with my F/6.5 and F/7.5 refractors.

Edited by John Huntley (01/26/13 08:24 PM)

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5652622 - 01/30/13 03:59 PM

I tried out my 18 BCO in my IM-715 by itself and with my 1.5X Siebert and 2X TV barlows. I was viewing the Moon with fair seeing. Image quality is very good but there was some vignetting with the barlows. There was more with the 2X but it was only 2-3 degrees. David

Gilbert D

Reged: 04/26/12

Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: dscarpa]
      #5652878 - 01/30/13 05:57 PM

How does BCO 18mm compare to Sterling Plossl 17mm? I'm thinking about getting either one.
And how about BCO 10mm vs Sterling Plossl 12.5mm?

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: Gilbert D]
      #5654489 - 01/31/13 03:06 PM

Quote:

How does BCO 18mm compare to Sterling Plossl 17mm? I'm thinking about getting either one.

That sounds fun...the 17 vs the 18. Will do that next clear evening 10mm and 12.5mm are too far apart for meaningful comparison since the exit pupil of the 12.5mm will be approx 56% brighter! The 17 vs 18 is a little more level with the 18mm's exit pupil being about 12% brighter.

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5658004 - 02/02/13 12:00 PM

I used the 18 BCO with a 1.5X Siebert barlow in my IM-715 on the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn with very good conditions. Performance was impressive. I did back to back the Moon with a 13 Ethos and 10 XW and didn't take a hit in image quality with the BCO. I used the BCO back to back barlowed to the same power on the Moon in the same scope on another night with fair conditions and the Brandon had an advantage contrast wise. David

Edited by dscarpa (02/02/13 12:03 PM)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: dscarpa]
      #5658046 - 02/02/13 12:29 PM

When viewing the Moon through my 90mm Mak, a TV Plossl 11m gave me better contrast than the BCO 10, FO 10.5 or BGO 9mm, especially on the maria. Not appreciably finer detail, but more contrast.

Mike

dyslexic nam
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/28/08

Loc: PEI, Canada
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: Peter Natscher]
      #5659751 - 02/03/13 11:14 AM

Quote:

Gee, has this topic gone off into an examination of any eyepiece that comes to mind? The OP, and I, would like to know about anyone's actual use of a BCO since being delivered this past week or two, not yadda-yadda-yadda. Seeesh!

+

Quote:

I like observing the moon with neutral-toned eyepieces (Brandon's) that show the surface coloring as it really s and more realistically -- a cool gray color. There is no sunrise/sunset earth-like atmospheric coloring on the moon.

= irony

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5659933 - 02/03/13 12:52 PM

There were high thin clouds on both nights and the BCO's tone was very similar to my XWs, Delos and such with the Moon being white. My T6s would show gray with clear and yellow with thin clouds. The Badders also gave sharp high contrast performance on Jupiter and Saturn. BCOs give a quality image for not much money. Orthos for sure! David

Edited by dscarpa (02/03/13 05:23 PM)

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: dyslexic nam]
      #5673412 - 02/11/13 01:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Gee, has this topic gone off into an examination of any eyepiece that comes to mind? The OP, and I, would like to know about anyone's actual use of a BCO since being delivered this past week or two, not yadda-yadda-yadda. Seeesh!

+

Quote:

I like observing the moon with neutral-toned eyepieces (Brandon's) that show the surface coloring as it really s and more realistically -- a cool gray color. There is no sunrise/sunset earth-like atmospheric coloring on the moon.

= irony

Gilbert D

Reged: 04/26/12

Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: BillP]
      #5704613 - 02/28/13 12:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That sounds fun...the 17 vs the 18. Will do that next clear evening 10mm and 12.5mm are too far apart for meaningful comparison since the exit pupil of the 12.5mm will be approx 56% brighter! The 17 vs 18 is a little more level with the 18mm's exit pupil being about 12% brighter.

Hi Bill,
Have you got a chance to compare the 17mm Sterling Plossl and the 18mm BCO? Looking forward to your assessment.

Alvin Huey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/18/05

Loc: NorCal
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: Gilbert D]
      #5705423 - 02/28/13 02:08 PM

I have the 6 and 10mm BCO and will try and do some real world comparisons with my 6 and 10mm Delos and 6 and 10mm ZAO-II and report back here.

Mind, that I report what I see through the eyepiece, not theory. Those who have seen my reports/posts in the past...I do see differences between the ZAO-II, Delos and Ethos (best to worst in that order). My views are validated and confirmed by others on the field with me...and they are also very experienced observers.

I use my 22" for the comparisons as I know from past experience and what others have reported, the larger the telescope, the wider the difference is...think of a slope on a 2D graph, the x-axis is the aperture and y-axis is the "view"...the difference between two linear lines gets wider as we go right on the x-axis. I also have a 30" reflector in my garage, which I may end up using for the comparison. I just need help setting that thing up.

With my friend's 48" reflector, the difference becomes pretty obvious.

I did get a quick first light to make sure it works, etc...using my two little scopes: 4" f/11 AstroTelescopes and 6" f/7.7 Tak TOA150. One thing I noticed is that it is parfocal with my 24mm Panoptic finder eyepiece and Delos eyepieces. Very nice. The BGO's require a bit of in-focus (about 10mm - I didn't measure)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: Alvin Huey]
      #5705434 - 02/28/13 02:21 PM

That sounds great, Alvin. I was wondering when you would get around to field testing these BCO's!

I notice that on your website, in terms of "going deep" you rate the BGO's between the Zeiss and Ethos, but a bit closer to the Zeiss. So does this mean that for transmission, the BGO's are about equal to the Delos, or even between the Zeiss and Delos?

I'm curious where the BCO's will fall on this continuum.

Mike

dcoyle
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Turbulent but dark skies, N.M.
      #5705478 - 02/28/13 02:46 PM

Very much look forward to your observations, Alvin.

Dan

Alvin Huey
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Baader Classic Ortho - Initial impression new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5705501 - 02/28/13 02:56 PM

Quote:

I notice that on your website, in terms of "going deep" you rate the BGO's between the Zeiss and Ethos, but a bit closer to the Zeiss. So does this mean that for transmission, the BGO's are about equal to the Delos, or even between the Zeiss and Delos?

Mike

Mike,

I don't know as I don't own a 6mm BGO, so I can not do a direct comparison. The Delos I own are the 6, 8, 10 and 14mm lengths. There are no BGO's in the same focal lengths and I really prefer to compare exact focal lengths as differing magnifications can and will make the difference.

My friend who owns a 6mm BGO, but I haven't seen him in two years.

I've always wondered too...

Alvin Huey
Carpal Tunnel

#5705504 - 02/28/13 02:56 PM

I'm also wondering how "good" the BCO barlow is...I don't expect to be close to my TMB 1.8x ED barlow, but who knows. Anyone played with one? Any in or out of focus required versus native eyepiece?

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5705569 - 02/28/13 03:29 PM

Quote:

I'm also wondering how "good" the BCO barlow is...I don't expect to be close to my TMB 1.8x ED barlow, but who knows. Anyone played with one? Any in or out of focus required versus native eyepiece?

Just tried it at infinity focus and it seemed to require 10-13mm additional inward focuser movement to achieve focus, like a typical barlow.
BCO refers to the ortho eyepieces in the Q Series
BCP refers to the plossl eyepiece in the Q Series
Q-Barlow refers to the 2.25X barlow in the Q Series.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14961

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics