Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
da_guy2

Reged: 01/11/06

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Help tuning up a CG5
      #5645122 - 01/26/13 08:58 PM

So a few days ago I had posted seeking a recommendation for a new mount, many people had suggested I get a CG5 but I couldn't afford a new one. Well I was watching Kijiji and came across a Celestron C6-SGT. Apparently the telescope hadn't been used in a long time, and after sitting for so long had a few problems, so the price was great, but there's some work I'm going to need to do.

First, the power switch isn't working. I could de-solder the switch, and solder a new one in place (if I can find a matching switch). Or I could just put a jumper across the switch, and use it without a power switch. BUT I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion on how to recondition a slide switch that isn't working? I don't know if a spray with WD40 or something else might do the trick... Any suggestions?

Second, there seems to be a lot of play in there RA axis. I haven't opened it up to see what's inside yet, but I was wondering what I should be looking for when I do?

Lastly, it needs a polar alignment scope. Where can I get one, and how much should it cost?

Thanks,
David

Edited by da_guy2 (01/26/13 08:59 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Help tuning up a CG5 new [Re: da_guy2]
      #5645147 - 01/26/13 09:15 PM

You can buy the power board complete from Celestron for $20. Comes with the switch and RJ sockets and LED.

The play in the RA axis is probably just the wormgear/ringrear adjustment. This can be done when you have the motor cover off.

With the "All Star" polar alignment routine in the HC you don't need a polar scope. The firmware version is faster and more accurate.

Stan

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Help tuning up a CG5 new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5645734 - 01/27/13 10:12 AM

The easiest way to deal with the power switch? Exercise it a bunch of times, blow it out with canned air, and it will begin working again--temporarily. Leave it on and turn power on and off by plugging/unplugging the power cable. That's what I've been doing since the switch failed on my 'bout four years ago.

How much is "a lot"?

The polar scope is pretty much worthless. The AllStar routine in the HC will produce a better polar alignment.

Pauls72
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/28/07

Loc: LaPorte, IN
Re: Help tuning up a CG5 new [Re: rmollise]
      #5645810 - 01/27/13 10:54 AM

On the switch you can try compressed air but a better solution would be to try electronics/contact cleaner. You can find this stuff at electronics stores, auto parts stores and even at Walmart in the automotive section.
http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=05101&S=C

The Astronomy Boy web site has a whole section on tuning up and adjusting the CG5 style mounts.
http://www.astronomyboy.com/cg5/

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Help tuning up a CG5 new [Re: Pauls72]
      #5645848 - 01/27/13 11:16 AM

Contact cleaner is probably better, but plain old canned air has worked on every CG5 switch I've tried it on (quite a few folks I know have the problem...in fact every CG5 owner probably will). Oh, and let me add, exercise the switch with the power off, of course.

Pages: 1

Extra information
29 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 464

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics