Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1
James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/07/10

Loc: Maryland
Cloning software?
      #5645672 - 01/27/13 09:30 AM

My computer recently crashed and when the computer was fixed, all of the files were erased. It took a long time to put everything back on. I purchased a USB hard drive to clone and back up all of my files. What I would like to do is cloned my hard drive to the USB drive so that I can run all of my programs from the USB drive. However, I could not find anything on the net about doing this. Anyone know which clone software clones your hard drive to a USB drive so that you can run all of the programs from the UDB drive? Thanks.
Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Cloning software? new [Re: James Cunningham]
      #5646441 - 01/27/13 04:55 PM

James,

Windows, right?

I use XXClone and it works great. Clones the main drive, makes it bootable, gives the option of a solid blue Windows backdrop so you remember you are booted from the clone, and even writes to your boot.ini file to give you the choice of which drive to boot from during start up. It's easy to test after the process is complete so you know your clone will work.

Here's the link. I don't know why you should not be able to clone to a USB drive, but I don't know the answer to that.

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Cloning software? new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5646462 - 01/27/13 05:11 PM

Clonezilla is good for making a complete copy of a partition or drive. I'm not sure if a complete drive copy on the USB device can be made bootable.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 416

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics