Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
merlin_four

Reged: 12/26/07

Loc: NorCal
Re: Smartphone instead of webcam? new [Re: AstroTripper]
      #5679414 - 02/14/13 01:01 PM

I got this shot of Jupiter through the eyepiece with my iPhone. Omni XLT 150, 2x barlow, 6mm Orion Expanse eyepiece, single exposure. Didn't even think of doing video, but I don't see why that wouldn't work. Just gotta have really steady hands

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AstroTripper

Reged: 01/16/13

Loc: Central Europe
Re: Smartphone instead of webcam? new [Re: merlin_four]
      #5679538 - 02/14/13 01:48 PM

Nice one. I tested with similar setup, only with 10mm eyepiece, which gives me x150 magnification, vs x250 of yours.

The thing is, when shooting video, the resolution is much smaller. So with 720p, this Jupiter would probably be just a few pixels in diameter. This is were modded webcam (with lens removed) has huge advantage. I guess I had no idea how much of an impact this has on the end result.

Sean13
sage

Reged: 11/17/12

Loc: North Platte, Nebraska
      #5679625 - 02/14/13 02:30 PM

I could be wrong, but I think that depends on the resolution of video you shoot. If you turn your video res down you may get better results. Maybe.

Also the video feature usually has a zoom. Crank it up as high as you can. This would kind of be similar to Backyard EOS capturing the 5x live view. The video will look *BLEEP*, but you might be surprised what kind of detail comes from stacking and sharpening it.

Greg K.Administrator

Reged: 12/11/03

Loc: Clifton Park, NY
Re: Smartphone instead of webcam? new [Re: Sean13]
      #5680119 - 02/14/13 07:49 PM

Quote:

I could be wrong, but I think that depends on the resolution of video you shoot. If you turn your video res down you may get better results. Maybe.

Also the video feature usually has a zoom. Crank it up as high as you can. This would kind of be similar to Backyard EOS capturing the 5x live view. The video will look *BLEEP*, but you might be surprised what kind of detail comes from stacking and sharpening it.

Since all smartphones that I know of use digital zoom, you won't really gain anything by zooming.

Sean13
sage

Reged: 11/17/12

Loc: North Platte, Nebraska
Re: Smartphone instead of webcam? new [Re: Greg K.]
      #5680211 - 02/14/13 09:05 PM

True, but the Canon live view 5x is also a digital zoom and still does a better job then full frame video capture for planetary. Technically you won't be gaining any detail, but you will get a larger scale image that you can actually look at.

This is just a guess as it seems to work on my Canon 450d, but I have no experience playing with an eyepeice and cell phone cam.

AstroTripper

Reged: 01/16/13

Loc: Central Europe
Re: Smartphone instead of webcam? new [Re: Greg K.]
      #5680686 - 02/15/13 05:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Since all smartphones that I know of use digital zoom, you won't really gain anything by zooming.

Hmm, not necessarily. I mean, it depends on how the zoom works for preview (the whole idea is capturing uncompressed preview data, not actual photo shots at full resolution).

So, let's say the full resolution is 2560x1920 when shooting photos, and preview resolution is 640x480. That means that the preview includes only 1 in 4 pixels. The question is: what happens to preview frame when I set x4 zoom? There are 2 possibilities:

1. The camera takes the original, not zoomed preview frame (one with 1 in 4 pixel), blows it times 4 and crops appropriately. The result is the same as digital zoom on full resolution photo - blurry image. That would be the equivalent of taking a photo at full res with no zoom, cropping it to 640x480, upscaling it by 4, and cropping it again to 640x480.

2. the preview frame actually contains data from only relevant part of the sensor, meaning that every pixel in the frame is 'real' and not a result of interpolation. This is the same as taking a full res photo without any zoom, and cropping it to 640x480.

Now, I suspect the first method to be the common way to do this stuff, coz it's probably easier to implement in hardware/software. BUT, it might actually be worth checking out. I will try verifying this when time permits.

fishonkevinModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/29/07

Loc: Michigan
      #5683356 - 02/16/13 12:02 PM

I know that this may not be pertinent to the use of an I-phone or Android device for planetary and DSO acquisition, but it certainly shows that they can be and are being used for Astrophotography with good results.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, fishonkevin, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1632

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics