Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1
Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/26/06

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Celestron's Skyq? new
      #5629639 - 01/18/13 10:30 AM

I see lots of posts here and over @ the NexStar forum about Skysafari but almost nothing about Skyq. I saw a demo of the app at Starzona in Tucson, AZ and found the app to be easy to use, feature rich and now one can align & GOTO with the same app. So why no comments about Skyq? Is anyone using it? if not, why?

Me? I do not have the hardware to run any app; just a laptop. I'm still using NexRemote with a wireless game controller and StarChart 3.x or Asrtoplanner 2.x to control my C 11 GPS. Would I use Skyq? From what I have seen, Yes, if I could afford the hardware.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CJK
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: Northeast TN
Re: Celestron's Skyq? new [Re: Edward E]
      #5629735 - 01/18/13 11:15 AM

I downloaded the SkyQ app when I thought I was going to buy a Celestron mount. I played with it and liked it quite a bit, but after discovering this web site and reading a lot of the comments here, I downloaded Sky Safari -- and there was no looking back for me. Sky Safari runs rings around the Celestron app.

The major problem with the SkyQ *hardware* is that nothing can connect to it except Celestron's own app, which is a bit lacking when compared with state of the art apps like Sky Safari, as I mentioned above.

I ended up sending back my SkyQ hardware, and I deleted the SkyQ app. Now have Sky Safari Pro and SkyFi, and that combination works like a charm.

-- Chris

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron's Skyq? new [Re: CJK]
      #5644658 - 01/26/13 04:09 PM

Quote:

The major problem with the SkyQ *hardware* is that nothing can connect to it except Celestron's own app, which is a bit lacking when compared with state of the art apps like Sky Safari, as I mentioned above.
-- Chris

I did notice that The Sky X connected to it in their video.

CJK
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron's Skyq? new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5645459 - 01/27/13 04:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

-- Chris

Good info, but TheSkyX isn't in the same ballpark price-wise and requires a laptop.

-- Chris

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron's Skyq? [Re: CJK]
      #5646370 - 01/27/13 04:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

-- Chris

Good info, but TheSkyX isn't in the same ballpark price-wise and requires a laptop.

-- Chris

The new mounts and maybe even SkyQ are shipping with a version called... brain stopped working.. I think first light edition of The Sky X.

CJK
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron's Skyq? new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5647980 - 01/28/13 12:08 PM

Quote:

The new mounts and maybe even SkyQ are shipping with a version called... brain stopped working.. I think first light edition of The Sky X.

I've bad news for you: my brain has been doing that for years. It doesn't get better. In fact, it %}^~{}?<

-- Chris

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 731

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics