Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
anrran

Reged: 04/03/11

Question about tripod heads
      #5646495 - 01/27/13 05:28 PM

Hello,

I am planning on making my own tripod in the near future, and I have a question that I haven't found an answer to yet. I would like to make the tripod so that I could attach different mounts to it if and when I get them later on in life. For example I will probably get the vixen porta mount soon for a small refractor, but I'll also probably get an EQ mount as the need (or want) arises. From the pictures of different mounts that I have seen, it looks like there are different configurations for the bolts to mount them to the tripod head. This is unlike the 1/4" thread that pretty much any camera uses. Is there some way of making a universal tripod head for different mounts or am I going to have to make a different tripod for different mounts? I was thinking of making an adapter for each mount that would fit onto the tripod head, has any body done that? I realize this question may be a little vague because I don't know which mounts I will be buying, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
biz
Vendor

Reged: 11/08/09

Loc: New Zealand
Re: Question about tripod heads new [Re: anrran]
      #5646527 - 01/27/13 05:44 PM

Aaron.
Your idea of making the appropiate adapter plate for each mount to fit to the tripod head is the best way to go in my opinion.. Ive done that to fit my tripod extender and ofcourse I can also do that to fit my EQwedge.. Adapter plates can be made to mate any and each together allowing you to retain the same tripod..sometimes a bit of thinking is required but it can be done.
cheers.
Graham.

anrran

Reged: 04/03/11

Re: Question about tripod heads new [Re: biz]
      #5646765 - 01/27/13 07:31 PM

Okay Graham,thanks for your input, I think I'll go ahead and do that.

Aaron

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Question about tripod heads new [Re: anrran]
      #5647868 - 01/28/13 11:23 AM

Your best bet would probably be to build the tripod with a fairly large, solid, flat head to which you can attach a short pier extension. You can then attach different adapters to the pier extension using three bolts positioned around the circumference. Depending on your metal working capabilities, you could also attach the pier section directly to the tripod legs. There is very little standardization in mount bases, even within the same manufacturer's lines. There are many similar bases (like in the CG-5/GP style mounts), but even then the dimensions can vary quite a bit.

biz
Vendor

Reged: 11/08/09

Loc: New Zealand
Re: Question about tripod heads new [Re: EFT]
      #5648043 - 01/28/13 12:34 PM

Quote:

Your best bet would probably be to build the tripod with a fairly large, solid, flat head to which you can attach a short pier extension. You can then attach different adapters to the pier extension using three bolts positioned around the circumference. Depending on your metal working capabilities, you could also attach the pier section directly to the tripod legs. There is very little standardization in mount bases, even within the same manufacturer's lines. There are many similar bases (like in the CG-5/GP style mounts), but even then the dimensions can vary quite a bit.

Ed.
Basicaly thats what I've done, used my tripod extender as a platform to fit whatever I want. As I said before a bit of thinking and problem solved.
cheers.
Graham.

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 375

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics