Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Inverted
sage

Reged: 01/19/13

Loc: LP Land
Maxim dl ieq45 pier flip new
      #5645369 - 01/27/13 01:54 AM

Hi all, I just got an ieq45 and the clouds miraculously went away! So, I got to play with it. Works awesome, gotos with 1 star alignment were spot on, and I was even able to get a 10 min exposure, with no field rotation, with just a simple polar alignment with the alignment scope!

Anyways, that's the good, the bad is how to handle pier flips. With my eq6 pro, eqmod would give me the time to meridian flip. I would set a timer, re-slew and it would flip. This with this mount, I'm not sure how to get time to flip? Also, the OTA was getting pretty close to the tripod, I tried slowing a bit and slowing back to the target, but no flip. How do I get it to flip when getting to close to the tripod?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: N of Tampa
Re: Maxim dl ieq45 pier flip new [Re: Inverted]
      #5645585 - 01/27/13 08:09 AM

You can set it up in the hand controller menu..From manual
For 8406
5.4.10. Meridian Option
The Meridian Flip can be turn on or off. If the Meridian Flip is turned off, there are two more options:
Meridian Protection ON or OFF. This function is available for 8406 hand controller firmware V1.10 or later.
For 8407

5.4.4. Meridian Treatment
This function tells mount what to do when it tracks across the meridian. There are three options.
Stop Tracking will stop the mount when it passes the meridian. Telescope Flip will flip the telescope and
continuous to track the object. The third option is Continue to Track. In this case, the mount will keep
tracking and the OTA could hit the tripod leg if the mount is not monitored.

Edited by mega256 (01/27/13 08:12 AM)

Inverted
sage

Re: Maxim dl ieq45 pier flip new [Re: mega256]
      #5645650 - 01/27/13 09:11 AM

Thanks, I saw that, but when imaging, I don't want it to just flip on it's own, out of the blue. Also, when connected to a computer, I think some mounts are overridden by the computer software.

So, anyways, to rephrase my question, how do I get the mount to make a predictable meridian flip, or get it to flip on que. also, how do i get it to play nice with the software, so that it doesn't mess up my imaging session?

Inverted
sage

Re: Maxim dl ieq45 pier flip [Re: Inverted]
      #5647141 - 01/27/13 10:59 PM

Well that didn't take long. Checked in to find I lost a guide star. Mount had done a pier flip... Knew this would happen.... Some one must have a recommendation? no?

Pages: 1

Extra information
27 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 615

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics