Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1
Itz marcus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Which scope?
      #5647162 - 01/27/13 11:15 PM

Hi,
I have an EON 120 which I have used and used and used for the last 4 or so years. I now want something with more aperture and I don't think that I can afford to keep the EON if I get the other scope (although I will try at all costs to keep it). Assuming that I can't keep it what would you say to a 9.25 edge hd? Would it seriosly out perform the refractor or will I wind up saying hat the views are soft and then pine away for the refractor? I know I have been spoiled (or deprived) but I've only looked through the EON and no other scope over the last 3.5 years.
Clear skies
Itz

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Which scope? new [Re: Itz marcus]
      #5647588 - 01/28/13 08:37 AM

Well the 9.25 would basically double your aperture, which would represent a big junp in brightness and resolution. The edge design is often said to be "refractor-like" as well. You will of course have to consider a mounting upgrade most likely unless you have your 120 on a fairly robust equatorial mount that would carry the 9.25. Or you could consider the CPC version of the 9,25. Either way you would certainly see more and see better.

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: Which scope? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5647592 - 01/28/13 08:41 AM

The EdgeHDs are great from what I have heard here on CN. I wonder though, can the $1000 difference between the 8" Edge and the 9.25" Edge really be justified? The views can't be that much better in the 9.25, can they? Your EON 120 has a much faster cool down time than the EdgeHDs would - is this longer cool down period going to be a problem for you? I used to have a traditional C8 and it was virtually useless to me because it had such a long cool down time.

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Re: Which scope? new [Re: coopman]
      #5647748 - 01/28/13 10:26 AM

There is always some quality risk when buying a non premium scope. I'd try to hang on to the EON at least until your happy with the SCT. Especially if the EON is a very good example of that model.

Itz marcus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Re: Which scope? new [Re: Wmacky]
      #5647805 - 01/28/13 10:57 AM

Thanx for the replies. I am going to do what it takes to keep the 120. I certainly hope that will work out. I certainly won't get rid of it b4 being certain that I am satisfied with sct. I guess we cld put a regular 9.25 into the mix. I mentioned the edge bec i have been told that celestron ha been really carefull with the optical quality on these sccopes, but i would love opinnions on the regular version as well.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5648165 - 01/28/13 01:21 PM

Bingo...keep the 120 and compliment it with a C9.25 XLT. You will be more than satisfied and the lower cost will enable you to keep both. I have both a 130mm apo and a C11 XLT. I wouldn't be without either. They compliment each other very, very well. WHat one lacks, the other provides. So-so night, 130. Good to excellent night, C11 shows much more planetary detail than the 130 can on these nights. It is truly a win-win. You don't "need" the Edge for visual...of course, plenty will claim that you do. But the edge alone won't make you happy because you have tasted what a refractor image is like...I promise!

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/04

Loc: pa 19320
      #5648497 - 01/28/13 03:31 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Quote:

Thanx for the replies. I am going to do what it takes to keep the 120. I certainly hope that will work out. I certainly won't get rid of it b4 being certain that I am satisfied with sct. I guess we cld put a regular 9.25 into the mix. I mentioned the edge bec i have been told that celestron ha been really carefull with the optical quality on these sccopes, but i would love opinnions on the regular version as well.

ITZ I have the Ultima C9.25 version from the 1990's. Lot of people talk about SCT's being soft, this puppy isn't. It gives my award winning 10"F7 Newt a real run for the money on Jupiter. The views were a little too close for comfort shall I say. It is a heck of a scope. You might look into finding one used, and may be able to afford keeping the EON that way. Bob

Edited by bob midiri (01/28/13 03:38 PM)

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5648600 - 01/28/13 04:14 PM

You are on the right track--to keep the refractor and buy the EdgeHD.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Which scope? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5648739 - 01/28/13 05:12 PM

Hi Itz - I saw your post in refractors so I came over here to reply. If I only could keep 1 of my scopes, it would be the ED 120, similar to yours. The Eon is no longer available, and I think you would regret selling it. Instead, I recommend that you keep your 120 and pick up a used 8" or 10" dob, which can be found at $300 or less. These are far more portable than the 9.25 sct, and in my experience, will show nicer views on most nights with very little cool-down time. Yes you can spend a lot and get good views, but the tradeoffs are huge, especially when it's cold and you just don't feel like dragging out the big scope.

rflinn68
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/09/12

Loc: Arkansas
Re: Which scope? new [Re: SteveG]
      #5648800 - 01/28/13 05:38 PM

Keep the EON!! Buy an 8" EdgeHD if you want the HD and would have to sell the Eon to buy the 9.25HD. I think you might regret selling the refractor. The 2 scopes would really compliment each other well.

payner
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/07

Loc: Bluegrass Region, Kentucky
Re: Which scope? new [Re: rflinn68]
      #5648861 - 01/28/13 06:02 PM

The advice being given is good, but the reality is not everyone's finances will allow them to keep both. Some options you should consider:
1. Keep the refractor and save until you can purchase a 9.25 Edge HD (used would be a smart way to go).
2. Sell the refractor and purchase the HD and commensurate mount (the basis here is due to the doubling of aperture, that will make up for some loss of sharpness in images).
3. If you go with a GEM, you could sell the one the refractor rides (assuming it is not a CGEM class or larger mount) and that will help toward your savings. I know a CGEM may be slight over-mount for visual use, but that is the best way to go -- never under mount your telescopes.

Best,
Randy

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: Which scope? new [Re: payner]
      #5648956 - 01/28/13 06:48 PM

Itz,
I didn't read the other posts but I did what you are considering. I have an EON 120 and bought a C9.25 to compliment it. The SCT always showed me more regardless of the target or seeing conditions. I sold the C9.25 when I bought a C11, which I enjoy even more than the C9.25. Now my EON sits unused and I will most likely sell it in the coming months. That's my experience and it might be different than yours.

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/04

Loc: pa 19320
      #5649702 - 01/29/13 05:05 AM

Quote:

Hi,
I have an EON 120 which I have used and used and used for the last 4 or so years. I now want something with more aperture and I don't think that I can afford to keep the EON if I get the other scope (although I will try at all costs to keep it). Assuming that I can't keep it what would you say to a 9.25 edge hd? Would it seriosly out perform the refractor or will I wind up saying hat the views are soft and then pine away for the refractor? I know I have been spoiled (or deprived) but I've only looked through the EON and no other scope over the last 3.5 years.
Clear skies
Itz

ITZ I know its a long shot but if you are ever in SE Pa, you certainly can stop by and look thru the Ultima 9.25 and compare what you see with your EON. The best scenario is to definitely keep the EON and add the SCT.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Which scope? new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5655167 - 01/31/13 10:05 PM

Quote:

I have an EON 120 and bought a C9.25 to compliment it. The SCT always showed me more regardless of the target or seeing conditions.

I find these discussions interesting. There are refractor people who state just the opposite. I always recommend that people make their own comparisons, like you did, and trust their own judgement.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Which scope? new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5656076 - 02/01/13 10:38 AM

Quote:

I have an EON 120 and bought a C9.25 to compliment it. The SCT always showed me more regardless of the target or seeing conditions. I sold the C9.25 when I bought a C11, which I enjoy even more than the C9.25. Now my EON sits unused and I will most likely sell it in the coming months. That's my experience and it might be different than yours.

I have three "Primary" scopes. A 6" APO, an EdgeHD 8", and a C14.

Since getting the EdgeHD 8", the APO sits basiclly unused.

But so does the EdgeHD 8".

98% of my viewing is done with a C14.

OF course for me, the money is not so important that I feel like I need to sell these other scopes, and they both have their place.

But there is no substitute for aperture for most observing.

I will say this though... If the OP has a place where he can store a dob with Wheelbarrow handles so that it can be rolleed in and out (Garage, Storage Shed, ground floor basement), I would be going for a 12" Go-To Newt.

This will likley be my next scope to replace the C14.

I keep struggling about whether I sould go to a 12" or stay with 14" though. But 12" is winning out. Costs a lot less, has a closed tube, and will have less coma.

Can binoview it with 1.3x too without looseing apetrure like you do in an SCT.

Pages: 1

Extra information
21 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1021

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics