Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Daniel Guzas
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/10

Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA
Philosophy of Patience. Hence the Astronomer new
      #5646005 - 01/27/13 12:50 PM

Philosophy of Patience. Hence the Astronomer

After 2 years in this hobby I believe astronomers are a breed of individuals who have learned to tap into that will and incredible patience the world today seems to be lacking. At least from my perspective.

I for one have never been a "short attention span" person. I like to know more about what I see on TV and about the world around me. The 24 hour barrage of information on the Internet and the TV are all becoming background noise. If one gets caught up in the sound bites and snippets we will be no expert at anything. Only slightly educated on many subjects. But with no real supporting foundation for such "knowledge".

Since my dive into the world of Astronomy, I have had to slow down, breathe, and take a good long look before I would  "see" what was up there. The longer you look and contemplate the more you will actually "see".

I strongly believe that this notion is something which can, and should, be applied to our everyday lives. If we took the time to stop, look, listen, and render an informed opinion before running off to the next task or action we would be so much better for it.

Astronomy and it's learned skills at slowing the pace, tease out each and every photon of information and then get a good picture of what exists thru the eyepiece, has reinforced my belief that we all are able to do better. Not just at our hobby, but in life in general.

Take what you have learned at the scope and apply it to your life. It has opened my eyes and widened a desire for knowledge which is the best weapon of all.

As they say knowledge is power. But use that knowledge for the good of all!

Human, Earth, Solar System, Galaxy, Universe.....we are all here together. So much to see and experience if we take the time to "observe"....not just up but all around us.

Clear skies and Peace!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Philosophy of Patience. Hence the Astronomer new [Re: Daniel Guzas]
      #5646105 - 01/27/13 01:42 PM

Nicely said, Daniel.

C_Moon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/23/09

Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia
Re: Philosophy of Patience. Hence the Astronomer new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5646261 - 01/27/13 03:24 PM

I think you are absolutely correct. Patience seems vital to being able to advance in amateur astronomy. Consider:

- the process of starhopping, ever get lost and have to start a 10-min star-hop all over again?

- Seeing detail on planets. I often find outreach events unsatisfactory because so many folks do not see the detail I see because they only want to look for 3 sec or so. I have been treated to amazing views, but often they are fleeting in moments of good seeing.

- Trying to see faint objects. I remember viewing the asteroid Toutatis last month. It took me a few tries to locate the somewhat faint asteroid that at first glance was 'just another faint star" and then a little bit of time to detect movement.

- Waiting for the physical universe: objects to rise or transit, objects to move out of the glare of the sun, eclipses or transits & other transient events to happen, skies that are transparent, steady or (heavens) both.

These are just the ones that come to mind. I'm sure there's a lot more examples.

Mxplx2
sage

Reged: 09/12/12

Loc: NE PA USA
Re: Philosophy of Patience. Hence the Astronomer new [Re: Daniel Guzas]
      #5646834 - 01/27/13 08:04 PM

Yes, our lives are filled with information overload, most of which means little if anything, and is mainly a distraction from what really matters. Texting while driving would be a good example. Astronomy gives an outside this world perspective.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Philosophy of Patience. Hence the Astronomer [Re: Mxplx2]
      #5647294 - 01/28/13 01:08 AM

Astronomy also teaches humility, in many different ways.

Dave Mitsky

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Philosophy of Patience. Hence the Astronomer new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5647464 - 01/28/13 06:32 AM

Stop and smell the coffee.

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
      #5648399 - 01/28/13 02:49 PM

Personally, i very much concur with the sentiments expressed above! And this:

Quote:

For me anyhoo, i get this. Spend any time at all contemplating a Hubble "Deep-field" photo, particularly a hi-res version where you can "zoom-in" to inspect a few of the faint fuzzies... ya just can't come away from that feeling very big! A similar experience can be had at the eyepiece, too, more or less depending on what's displayed.

On the *patience* note, i can't help but wonder if some of this is pre-wired into personality types... some more, some less. This, and also thru nurture- the activities our parents engaged us with, or didn't... the time they spent with us as youngsters- or didn't. Or couldn't.

In today's instantaneous & electronically enhanced culture, calm, contemplative, non-digital pursuits are not nearly as popular... so the kid who (like i did) yearns many months for a 60mm 'fractor is swamped with a deluge of kids who want an i-pad or i-____ (fill in the blank)... "months" probably not sufficing as a time-frame!

Maybe it's good, maybe it's not... is certainly "different". I just know that my own astro journey, and typical nightly journeys, typically involve precious little speed or hurry... or electronic enhancement. And i'm quite happy to keep it that way.

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Philosophy of Patience. Hence the Astronomer new [Re: Mike B]
      #5648415 - 01/28/13 02:59 PM

Well, my equipment patiently awaits me every night I decide to go out. Whether it's tonight or two weeks from now.

Mike B
Starstruck

Re: Philosophy of Patience. Hence the Astronomer new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5648452 - 01/28/13 03:15 PM

Well, okay now... you're needling into realms where "patience" may not flow as deeply? My equipment may be patient, but when clouds & fog are large and in charge, i am often NOT quite so patient!

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
      #5648471 - 01/28/13 03:20 PM

Way back when it was common for amateur astronomers to grind their own mirrors we used to say the #1 thing a telescope maker needed was patience.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Philosophy of Patience. Hence the Astronomer new [Re: jgraham]
      #5648569 - 01/28/13 04:03 PM

lugging hugh dobs around makes you a patient........

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Philosophy of Patience. Hence the Astronomer new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5649441 - 01/28/13 11:02 PM

Good one!

Dave Mitsky

dpwoos
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/18/06

Loc: United States
      #5649523 - 01/28/13 11:49 PM

Quote:

Dave Mitsky

I feel humble, but I also feel extremely proud to share species-being with folks who can study and understand the Universe. Takes some nerve to look creation square in the face, and use our reasoning to decipher its workings. I have to say that of all the wonders I have seen in the heavens, the Aurora Borealis are the most awe inspiring, and even sometimes terrifying.

pogobbler
sage

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: Central Indiana, USA
Re: Philosophy of Patience. Hence the Astronomer new [Re: dpwoos]
      #5649628 - 01/29/13 01:58 AM

Patience does seem to be a lost art in much of the population. For all the people I've met who claim to have ADHD, I suspect that most just haven't learned to develop their natural patience. Though some people seem naturally more patient than others, I think the greater part of it is something learned rather than something that's either there or not. Those who aren't or don't learn to be patient don't last long in this hobby. When all is said and done, you have to calm down and yield to the Universe before you; the Universe won't yield to your pace or even meet you halfway.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Philosophy of Patience. Hence the Astronomer new [Re: pogobbler]
      #5649678 - 01/29/13 03:56 AM

At times, especially when the seeing overhead is worth it, I'll grab a cup of coffee and wait out some cloud cover. Sit out back, sipping coffee...exercising patients while really still eager inside.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5649908 - 01/29/13 09:29 AM

Quote:

lugging hugh dobs around makes you a patient........

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Philosophy of Patience. Hence the Astronomer new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5649951 - 01/29/13 10:01 AM

Some countdown their remaing days, some add up the days of their lives......

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Philosophy of Patience. Hence the Astronomer new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5649952 - 01/29/13 10:01 AM

Some countdown their remaing days, some add up the days of their lives......

Mike B
Starstruck

#5650118 - 01/29/13 11:41 AM

... then there's those of us happy to keep count of our car keys...

Ever noticed how walking tends to induce patience?

lordgordons

Reged: 05/21/09

Loc: yonkers, ny
      #5650272 - 01/29/13 12:59 PM

On the day of the Venus Transit last year, several of my astronomy club members and I gathered at a beach on Long Island to view this event. The skies were completely clouded over - except for a few sucker holes - when we arrived. A couple of members got lucky right away and were able to view or photograph the event for a brief few seconds when the sun appeared. Most of us were shut out, but we decided to stay. Near the end of the day, three hours later on a day completely clouded over - and just a few minutes before sunset - the clouds opened up in spots and we all were able to view the transit, even if only for a couple of minutes. Was it worth the wait? Absolutely yes! Not one of us left, even when rain looked like a certainty. We all waited and we were all rewarded. No question, at least in my mind, that patience is the most important personal attribute needed in amateur astronomy.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1830

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics