Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
mitovka
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/08/10

Loc: Slovakia, CE
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM ÷ Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: Traveler]
      #5647991 - 01/28/13 12:14 PM

Incredible!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DuaneS

Reged: 06/18/08

#5648004 - 01/28/13 12:19 PM

Amazing detail! WOW!!

Duane

CanaryMax

Reged: 07/11/08

Loc: Gran Canaria, Spain
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM ÷ Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: DuaneS]
      #5648084 - 01/28/13 12:47 PM

Really nice this Saturn with its moons.

HANTO
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/07

Loc: Unterallgäu, Bavaria, Germany
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM ÷ Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: CanaryMax]
      #5648533 - 01/28/13 03:46 PM

Great shot, Darryl! Seems it´s not only a great Newtonian camera!
Did you mention your "device for amplification" (1.4 barlow)?

Regards
Torsten

Edited by HANTO (01/28/13 03:47 PM)

Timthelder

Reged: 06/12/12

Loc: Bowling Green KY
      #5648572 - 01/28/13 04:03 PM

Hat's off to you Daryl, That's a ripper for sure!

(wouldn't mind having some 'goodish' seeing myself!)

Cheers

ToxMan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/23/11

Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA
      #5648628 - 01/28/13 04:25 PM

Pretty remarkable...polar hexagon is visible without having to "re-work" the image. Lots of the storm remnant. Great work, Darryl. Congrats.

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM ÷ Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: lcd1080]
      #5648785 - 01/28/13 05:31 PM Attachment (53 downloads)

Quote:

Darryl, with resolution like that I'm wondering whether you can coax some detail out of the North Polar region as we get closer to opposition...

Pete, I would say he did a pretty good job in this shot. There is some fine detail visible, and the polar region looks distinctly hexagonal to me. What do ya'll think?

Edited by BKBrown (01/28/13 05:36 PM)

mikewirths
Vendor-Baja Dark Skies

Reged: 06/16/08

Loc: San Pedro Martir Mexico
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM ÷ Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: BKBrown]
      #5648835 - 01/28/13 05:53 PM

awesome image!!!!!!!!!

cheers

Mike

lcd1080
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/03/10

Loc: Maryland, USA
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM ÷ Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: BKBrown]
      #5648931 - 01/28/13 06:38 PM

Quote:

Pete, I would say he did a pretty good job in this shot. There is some fine detail visible, and the polar region looks distinctly hexagonal to me. What do ya'll think?

Oh I agree Brian, I do see the hexagonal outline in Darryl's image. I was just thinking that he might be able to capture some of the larger features within the hexagon as shown in this Cassini wide angle shot of Saturn's North Pole:

NASA Cassini image of Saturn's North Pole

Pete

Edited by lcd1080 (01/28/13 07:31 PM)

ToxMan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/23/11

Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM ÷ Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: lcd1080]
      #5649022 - 01/28/13 07:24 PM

Quote:

...I was just thinking that he might be able to capture some of the larger features within the hexagon...

I was thinking the same thing, Pete. This is pretty new ground. When conditions are right, I anticipate Darryl will increase the image size and shoot at f20? And, go for it. That is when I hope to see some of that kind of detail.

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM ÷ Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: ToxMan]
      #5649058 - 01/28/13 07:37 PM

EXCELLENT image, Darryl!!! Beautiful work!!!

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM ÷ Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: RobertED]
      #5649269 - 01/28/13 09:09 PM Attachment (69 downloads)

Emil, ZZ and David - thanks fellas, most appreciated!

Mike - I've turned all our alarms off.....I couldn't image the next morning because I was so darned tired..!

Thanks also Brian, Gerry, Pete, Takashi and Stuart: Pete, what you see is the miscollimation of my C14 for this image...when I'm not sure (and the scintillation of the DR's and the faintness of the star caused me to be so) I shoot a quick avi and process it "on the fly" - what you are seeing is the stacked DR's showing significant miscollimation.....but I looked at the clouds BEFORE I stacked the DR's and panicked and went with "near enough" which in the circumstances was the best thing to do - the clouds swamped us within minutes!!!

Thanks also Traveler, Michal, Duane, Max, Torsten,Tim, Paul, Mike and Robert.....we all do this stuff for our own personal reasons but it is really nice to get positive feedback - most of us sit out there under the sky and/or later on in front of a pc and it can be pretty solitary work, so positive feedback is good anytime!

Torsten, I'm running at about 1.2X atm - the SCT's really need an "image tamer" with these small-pixelled cameras.....I can slide the camera back & forth to go from 1.2X up to about 3X but it'll be in the 1.2X - 2X that I see most of the planetary imaging work will be done.....just haven't had one clear morning yet where clouds have stayed away to try my fitting - I'll post another pik of it later sometime.

Brian, Paul and Pete, I have no problems seeing the hexagonal outline of the North Polar zone in the images, I did a little simple modelling of what you would expect.....the left and right hand sides of it are parallel as one would expect and one can almost define (or imagine one can! ) that the left hand side reveals a small portion of the 5th side which "cuts back" out of view on the hidden side of the planet there as it would...

Being an obsessive/compulsive I wish that I'd had time to get accurate collimation - it can result in quite substantial increases in resolution - but under the circumstances I'm reasonably happy: over the next 3 months Saturn will grow a couple of arcseconds, go from 0.6 magnitude to 0.3, climb about 20 degrees higher in the sky and (hopefully! ) there'll be better seeing opportunities also along with me really coming to grips with image scales and settings with this great little camera.....and next time I might get time to collimate the bl##@! thing properly - oh, and I'll have a pair of proper glasses, being diabetic etc I need my eyes checked regularly and I sent my good titanium pair off to have specific computer lenses fitted, leaving me without anything but an old pair that are terrible to look through..!

Here's the red channel from the avi set, I might try a repro later also of the rgb - I've been so tired I walked into the edge of a door at home this morning and really busted up my forehead....!

Edited by Kokatha man (01/28/13 09:11 PM)

sfugardi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/30/06

Loc: CT
      #5649271 - 01/28/13 09:11 PM

Mo, Completely incredible! Detail and color are outstanding. I am just shocked that you are able to capture at 50fps for R. With that frame rate you are really freezing the seeing nicely. I cannot imagine how much better your Saturns will improve as it approaches opposition. You need to start your own website with a link to Saturn planetary processing DVDs selling for $29.99 a piece. I'm still waiting for my first Saturn view of the season. Excellent work and thanks for sharing everything

Regards,
Steve

Az Frank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/18/08

Loc: Tucson Arizona
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM ÷ Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: sfugardi]
      #5649318 - 01/28/13 09:43 PM

Have to agree with everyone else Darryl,one outstanding Saturn image for sure! Scary to think how good your images will be like later in the aparition!

Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM ÷ Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5649373 - 01/28/13 10:18 PM

I've been so tired I walked into the edge of a door at home this morning and really busted up my forehead....!

I say better your forehead rather than something important like the telescope or computer

I am totally impressed by the quality of the image!

Paul

AlanL
sage

Reged: 11/11/10

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM ÷ Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: Az Frank]
      #5649376 - 01/28/13 10:19 PM

Amazing stuff !! Thanks for sharing.

DesertRat
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/18/06

Loc: Valley of the Sun
      #5649438 - 01/28/13 11:00 PM

Nice Darryl!

Two questions:
1) Did you derotate the video streams?
2) Do you always check collimation that far out of focus?

I ran into a door like that once, but nobody believed me at work. They just laughed!

Glenn

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM ÷ Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: DesertRat]
      #5649484 - 01/28/13 11:26 PM

Thanks Steve, Frank, Paul, Alan and Glenn - I appreciate the feedback!

Quote:

Nice Darryl!
Two questions:
1) Did you derotate the video streams?
2) Do you always check collimation that far out of focus?

I ran into a door like that once, but nobody believed me at work. They just laughed!
Glenn

No, these aren't derotated channels Glenn - I mentioned the outcome might be enhanced a tad if I did said, but I've really only woken up properly now (it's almost 3pm here)

What you're looking at is the diffraction rings stacked (around 800 frames) and a small amount of wavelets in R5, dressed in CS4 a tad.....I usually like to use something considerably brighter than this particular star (Zuben elgenubi) but I have problems with mirror shift and throwing collimation out as mentioned - I will rectify that the same way I did in my C11 when I get "around tuit."

The seeing wasn't fantastic despite the outcome: I pull the star-image extra focally and adjust camera settings untill I can clearly see the DR's and the poisson-point.....but this little star was scintillating quite a lot and the faintness of the image even with gain and gamma right up created a very off-putting pattern to judge!

I'll then try and crack fine focus and see if I can glimpse an Airy - but there was no way that was worth doing either in the seeing.....and those clouds were stampeding me!

Had I run the DR avi through Reggie and seen this image (the one displayed) I certainly would've fiddled quite a lot more - which would have been disastrous because I'd still have been just as tired still, most probably still whacked my head and cut it badly and had nothing to show for it whatsoever..!!!

DesertRat
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/18/06

Loc: Valley of the Sun
      #5649519 - 01/28/13 11:48 PM

Darryl I understood you did not do a RGB derotation, my question had to do with the video recordings only. Since some were claiming to see details of the hexagonal pole - I was wondering how that was possible unless the video had been derotated.

A star in focus is the best collimation tool. Its actually difficult to not overexpose an infocus star. I have the gain practically off when I do. One align point in AS!2 and stack anywhere from 5-25% of the frames depending on seeing. And in 30 seconds you can have LOTS of frames. Use zoom to see the first ring better, gamma adjust to make more visible. Make sure your capture program preserves geometry (a recent beta of FireCap had a fault) so collimation adjust does'nt send it in the wrong direction! Fits files can cause uncertainty since different programs may y-flip the image.

Glenn

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5649556 - 01/29/13 12:19 AM

"B" Ring structure is quite evident. It hints at resolving some of the thin "Phono-groves".

Well done.

Edited by Eddgie (01/29/13 12:23 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7565

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics