Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Kokatha man
Postmaster

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: DesertRat]
      #5651207 - 01/29/13 09:30 PM Attachment (56 downloads)

Thanks again Glenn and Paul - Paul, is that realy the image scale I used as it appears on your screen.....it's just that it looks considerably smaller than my image at the top of this thread (to me!) and has me wondering..? Most screens show the image as larger than the large HDMI that I use!

Quote:

Darryl,
Any possibility of an animation of the n polar map? Not that I want to create more work for you, and I hope your head is better!
Lastly congratulations on an amazing early Saturn!
Glenn

Hmmm - you mean one of those "rolling" types of animation created from a single image Glenn - like Emil posted some nice ones of about year or two ago..?

I'd have to learn how to do it first if that's a possibility .....I will definitely look into it if it's possible (remember I have only one set of rgb's) but I still haven't sent off my image to WinJupos or the Jove's to the BAA yet..!

Meanwhile here's that WJ derotation of processed/combined rgb's.....I'm sure I can do a bit better but I also have so many things to do around the place atm.....I can see small parts where one is up on the other and vice-versa and it's probably just my obsessive nature running wild anyway - a bit different rendering also...but here they are anyway...

First the "scientific" orthodoxy with South up!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: Traveler]
      #5651208 - 01/29/13 09:31 PM

That ones going to hold the title for a while. It's so sharp its weird. Great work!!!

Pete

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Re: Saturn + ASI120MM Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5651211 - 01/29/13 09:32 PM Attachment (47 downloads)

.....and one of those "good old" North up which some folks still see as "more conventional...

bunyon
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5651213 - 01/29/13 09:32 PM

I found this image - the sides aren't straight, they're a little wavy. Although on a scale we have no hope of imaging. Also, look at all that stuff going on inside it!

http://www.universetoday.com/98699/saturns-strange-hexagon-in-living-color/

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: bunyon]
      #5651216 - 01/29/13 09:34 PM

You realize you actually imaged the polar octagon shape at least partially. I didnt know that was even possible. Look at it - it's angular.

This is a title holder to be sure.

Pete

lcd1080
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/03/10

Loc: Maryland, USA
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5651240 - 01/29/13 09:56 PM

I wonder if the hexagon on Saturn has been imaged by professional mountain top telescopes; I've always thought the images here are competitive with what they produce. Wouldn't it be outrageous if you and the other Cloudy Night members in the Southern hemisphere made history by imaging the hexagon with undeniable clarity in April? No pressure though :-)

Pete

Jason H.
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/07

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Saturn+ASI120MM, Good Seeing&Lotsa Detail+Wjupos!! new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5651281 - 01/29/13 10:16 PM

You call that a Saturn? That's not a real man's Saturn. I could out-do that Saturn with my hands tied behind my back and my eyes closed!

That was just in case you were getting bored of all that praise. Now to be more serious

VERY VERY NICE DARRYL!!!!!
I wish I were able to do the stuff you guys do. Someday I hope! Regarding 7 min integrations, does your software compensate for axial rotation on Saturn? I'm just wondering if there's smudging of the hexagon? (can't see that, just wondering if that could happen.)

Like I said, very very nice! Jason H.

DesertRat
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/18/06

Loc: Valley of the Sun
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: lcd1080]
      #5651288 - 01/29/13 10:20 PM

Pete,

Good question, I don't think it has been observed from earth based observatories. The last time the n pole of Saturn was well presented was way back around 1990-1992.

This lends credence I think to a "first" by Darryl!

The HST images of the time were sprinkled in artifacts due to heavy deconvolution of images from the then crippled optics.

Glenn

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
      #5651310 - 01/29/13 10:38 PM

Gee Darryl, sorry, I didn't intend to open a can of worms by popping that NPZ enlargement I do goldsmithing and design stuff on the side and have a pretty good eye for a line...and that hex just jumps right out at me, guess it may not be as obvious to others. But I see it, that's my story, and I'm sticking with it

P.S. I've got to get one of these cameras!

Clear Skies,
Brian

DesertRat
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/18/06

Loc: Valley of the Sun
      #5651342 - 01/29/13 11:05 PM

Darryl,
You reminded me that you have only one set of rgb's. So no, the animation I was suggesting is not possible. But maybe next time!

Brian,
Sounds like you could be a co-discoverer since you mentioned it first in this thread.

Glenn

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Re: Saturn+ASI120MM, Good Seeing&Lotsa Detail+Wjupos!! new [Re: Jason H.]
      #5651372 - 01/29/13 11:22 PM

Quote:

You call that a Saturn? That's not a real man's Saturn. I could out-do that Saturn with my hands tied behind my back and my eyes closed!

That was just in case you were getting bored of all that praise. Now to be more serious

VERY VERY NICE DARRYL!!!!!
I wish I were able to do the stuff you guys do. Someday I hope! Regarding 7 min integrations, does your software compensate for axial rotation on Saturn? I'm just wondering if there's smudging of the hexagon? (can't see that, just wondering if that could happen.)
Like I said, very very nice! Jason H.

I like it Jason - that is the sort of person I really am....!

We call it "stirring" and taking folks down a peg or two.....and I hope I never get that pathetic to not see the humourous side of anything (well, anything on these forums at least - there's enough really serious stuff going on around us to keep a perspective on all of our little pecadilloes)

I take this planetary imaging very seriousy, but I also take trying to be balanced and retain the lighter side very seriously also! .....hopefully folks pick up on that if they read through my tomes of writing!

I never had any trouble integrating 6.5 minute rgb runs with the Flea3 at greater image scales: I lucked some very hi-res images of Saturn's Great Storm back then that were very sharp on storm head detail using 6.5 minute avi's - I remember Brad and me having a few yarns on that topic and if I remember correctly he was using 7 minutes on Saturn and created some very nice images.....

You can see the derotated rgb images just above.....remember that although I shoot at 140 sec per channel they are really only the equivalent of around 7500mm on the Flea3 which could easily handle 6 minute total runs at up to around 9000mm or so using "classic" rgb combine methods such as AstraImage etc.....

I need to sit back and look at the WinJupos derotation image to see whether it picks up anything the "classic" AstraImage rgb combine didn't, plus I think I can process it a bit better also.....and remember, this collimation wasn't acceptable at all to me in normal circumstances except if I'd fiddled even a couple of minutes longer I would not have captured anything at all..!

Kokatha man
Postmaster

#5651384 - 01/29/13 11:25 PM

.....absolutely NOTHING to apolgise for Brian!!!

Yes, sure wish we'd had more time Glenn!

Foehammer
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/29/06

Loc: Cyprus
      #5651540 - 01/30/13 02:18 AM

K-man that is a stunning set you have there!!! The hexagonal shape is clearly there, cannot wait to have a shot at Saturn and see what comes up even though it's only up to about 42 degrees from my location. Bravo my friend!

p.s. what would you say is the max time I can shoot Saturn using a color cam (DBK21) at 5800FL?

wenjha
Vendor

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: SuZhou China
      #5651566 - 01/30/13 03:07 AM Attachment (46 downloads)

here is the one from Cassini

ToxMan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/23/11

Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA
Re: Saturn+ASI120MM, Good Seeing&Lotsa Detail+Wjupos!! new [Re: wenjha]
      #5651633 - 01/30/13 06:08 AM

When I mentioned it at the beginning of the thread, I thought this was a first (to resolve hexagon from ground-based telescope.) That is why I mentioned it. Because if we are in agreement, this is a considerable accomplishment. There were some great images of Saturn during the last apparition. But, we didn't have near the tilt. So, why look. This year will be a great apparition.

bunyon
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5651831 - 01/30/13 09:06 AM

Quote:

That ones going to hold the title for a while. It's so sharp its weird. Great work!!!

Pete

I agree. I keep coming back to this image and am just mesmerized. I mean, never say never, images seems to get better at an amazing rate but I really have trouble imagining a better ground based amateur image than this. Maybe Darryl can catch a glint off Cassini as it orbits the planet.

geminijk
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/03/08

Loc: TN
Re: Saturn+ASI120MM, Good Seeing&Lotsa Detail+Wjupos!! new [Re: ToxMan]
      #5651850 - 01/30/13 09:14 AM

Best image of Saturn I have ever seen by an Earth based scope!

Congrats!!!!

John

Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: DesertRat]
      #5651878 - 01/30/13 09:28 AM

Darryl, I captured your attachment and resized it by 1.5x, not sure how that relates to the actual size of your image.

I'm wondering if you should send the image to Glen Orton to see what he thinks. I would hope he could confirm one way or the other as this would be a fun target on Saturn to shoot for seeing as we may not have the "serpent storm" again.

Paul

siriusc
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/03/07

Loc: Racine, WI
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5652135 - 01/30/13 11:47 AM

Hi Darryl,

Really excellent work, congratulations!!!

Best wishes, Dan

swalker
Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

Reged: 01/22/07

Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W
Re: Saturn + ASI120MM Goodish Seeing=Lotsa Detail!!! new [Re: siriusc]
      #5652331 - 01/30/13 01:30 PM

I'm convinced. Well done! You should send me this for the magazine...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7571

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics