Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: << 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | >> (show all)
Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: csa/montana]
      #5644495 - 01/26/13 02:25 PM

Saturday's a GREAT day for a birthday Tom! Hope you have a good one

My test for success is if I can remember it on the next bday. Obviously my last one was uneventful.... Anyway DO SOMETHING FUN!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
square_peg
Postmaster

Reged: 03/26/04

Loc: Maple Valley, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Stacy]
      #5645419 - 01/27/13 03:30 AM

Thanks for the well wishes, Gang! I had a great day. I spent it out on the Cedar River doing habitat restoration work - one of my true passions. Came home a had a great dinner and drinks with friends. Couldn't have been better.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: square_peg]
      #5645790 - 01/27/13 10:47 AM

Glad to hear you had a very nice day for your birthday, Pegs!

Now, if I could just entice you to travel to Montana!

square_peg
Postmaster

#5647264 - 01/28/13 12:41 AM

It's cold over there this time of year.

DarkSkys
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/10

Loc: In the dark desert of Eastern ...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Sean Puett]
      #5647293 - 01/28/13 01:08 AM

Quote:

Oh BTW, count me in on pixieland and any other SP at Mike's astro paradise. Hold the wind though. While it was exciting, it was hard on the shelters:-)

Ha, thats puting it lightly. I can't wait to see everyone this year.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: DarkSkys]
      #5647332 - 01/28/13 01:55 AM

Happy Birthday, Tom!

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: square_peg]
      #5649476 - 01/28/13 11:24 PM

Quote:

It's cold over there this time of year.

I'm sure it's toasty and warm at "Den Mama's" place Besides, they don't call it "Big Sky" for nothin!!!

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Stacy]
      #5649494 - 01/28/13 11:34 PM

Yep, the Den Mama's place has been nice! Couple of days ago, low 50's! Outside of one major blizzard early in the season, it's been a mild winter here, with gorgeous night skies. So come on guys, hogtie Pegs, and all come on over!

BTW; any of you PNW members here, if you ever get in my area, please feel free to drop by & spend some time under the Big Sky Country, looking thru my 16"! The very first views I had of Pluto & Ceres is when Pegster visited & found them. What a thrill it was to actually see them!

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/10

Loc: always cloudy, washington
      #5649866 - 01/29/13 08:48 AM

I would love to see some nice clear winter skies above 40*. It has been so miserable at my house because even the few clear nights we had, there was thin fog that froze your objectives within 15 minutes or so. I have just had some quick binocular trips until I can't see anymore from the ice, then back in the house. This is why I am thinking about getting some decent binos.

How is this winter in your areas? Have you had any good nights or just astro fixes?

Spaced
Post Laureate

#5650720 - 01/29/13 04:45 PM

Quote:

BTW; any of you PNW members here, if you ever get in my area, please feel free to drop by & spend some time under the Big Sky Country, looking thru my 16"! The very first views I had of Pluto & Ceres is when Pegster visited & found them. What a thrill it was to actually see them!

Carol, I predict that I'll take you up on that; I drive to and from SW North Dakota from time to time and even get off the fwy. occasionally to go through Helena.

Sean, my area is just like yours, except I think I got in a few more hours with binos than you did. Like most here in Western Washington, I live close enough to salt water to be blessed by that marine-inspired fog and overcast we see too much of this time of year.

I bathed Sugaree's primary a couple of weekends ago and I'm itching to check it out under the stars. One piece of maintenance I need to attend to: there's something wrong with altitude on my ArgoNav . . . encoder or cable or something. I phoned Eric Webster about it and he gave me a couple of things to check out. He also said if I came up empty or confused to call him and he'd walk me through it over the phone.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Spaced]
      #5650936 - 01/29/13 06:52 PM

Quote:

Carol, I predict that I'll take you up on that; I drive to and from SW North Dakota from time to time and even get off the fwy. occasionally to go through Helena.

Mike, I'd enjoy meeting you in person, and spending some great time at the scope!

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

#5651796 - 01/30/13 08:40 AM

Mike, are you still liking your 12x36 IS binos? Have you noticed any breakdown of star images at the edges? I have been reading reviews and am trying to gauge if the reports are just something barely noticeable or what the reality is. I have been able to narrow down to either 12x36, 15x50 or maybe 10x42. The latter is the least likely because I believe that I can hold 10x reasonably steady. Anyway, your opinion on the 12x36 would be more helpful than reading more reviews.

Spaced
Post Laureate

#5652185 - 01/30/13 12:10 PM

Sean, my impression of the 12 X 36 IS is totally positive. I too am (or at least *was*) sure I could hold lower mag binocs steady, although in my case the lower mags are 8Xs, not 10X. The much higher mag IS binocs made it clear to me that what I thought was "holding steady" really wasn't. This realization hit me the first night, when I could see two sets of doubles with the IS that I couldn't see with the 8xs. The difficulty with the 8xs wasn't that the doubles were too tight (although tight they were), but that tiny hand motion subtly jiggled and smeared the image, just enough. (I can't be totally sure of this without trying the same view with 8X IS, but I don't have any. I'm reasonably certain, however.)

My pair is well-corrected to the edge. Honestly, I haven't looked through them critically to determine what percentage of the total FOV is degraded; I simply haven't noticed any such problem. Also I've used them during the day for some casual birdwatching. At the percussion retreat 3 weekends ago I went down to the dock and checked out swimming birds at various distances. I was really amazed to recognize a pair of mystery ducks' yellow eyes at a range of ~ 175 yd., which allowed me to later identify the pair as Barrow's Goldeneyes.

I chose my binocs after receiving feedback in a post here, which might be a place to start. Note the reference in it to Gary Seronik's IS comparisons on his website. I decided I wouldn't spend $1200 for the pair I really lusted after, but I'm very happy with what I bought for about half the price.

Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/21/08

Loc: Coupeville, WA
      #5652193 - 01/30/13 12:14 PM

Sean, if you get the 12X36 make sure you get the more recent model. They are remarkably light. I love my pair but I don't use them for astronomy so I can't speak about image degradation at the edges for night viewing. I use them to watch ships and birds in the Port Townsend area and they are marvelous. I tend to only look in the middle of the field anyway. If something near the edge catches my attention, I simply swing over to it. The IS works very well.

I forget where you live. My binoculars are in Coupeville right now but I can retrieve them on my next trip and lend them to you if you are near Kirkland. It would be after Feb 10th before I could get them, though.

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Dragonwatcher]
      #5652643 - 01/30/13 04:07 PM

You guys are convincing me. I was pretty sure that it was a case of the minor problem being mentioned at all making it sound worse than it is, I just had to double check with someone who's opinion I trust. Thanks guys!

Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/21/08

Loc: Coupeville, WA
      #5652677 - 01/30/13 04:20 PM

Sean, it's like any precision instrument: there may be a bit of variation from sample to sample. There is a LOT of variation between observers. Some people are just bothered by color and edge degradation while others barely notice even using the same instrument. So sample variation can influence reviews as well as reviewer susceptibilities. YOU are the most relevant reviewer in the end.

Two thoughts. Don't you live in the far south? If so find a Portland area dealer & try them out. Second option: buy used & if you don't like them, you could re-sell them for very little loss of money if any. Again, make sure you are getting the lighter, newer model.

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

#5653396 - 01/30/13 11:02 PM

I live in marysville, wa. Better known as "the convergence zone" in the weather reports :-).

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

#5653397 - 01/30/13 11:02 PM

Repeat post deleted

Internet froze on my phone

Edited by telenewbie (01/30/13 11:29 PM)

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

#5653398 - 01/30/13 11:02 PM

Ditto.

Edited by telenewbie (01/30/13 11:30 PM)

square_peg
Postmaster

#5653407 - 01/30/13 11:14 PM

Where do you live, Sean?

Pages: << 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 69392

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics