Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Which would you choose? new [Re: HenryV1598]
      #5653920 - 01/31/13 09:37 AM

My recommendation would be the CGEM, CGEM DX or Atlas. An advantage to the CGEM/DX for you would be that you are already use to the Nexstar hand controller. With the Atlas you would use EQMOD. In general it is pretty much a toss up between the CGEM and Atlas. The DX has a slight advantage over those two mostly as a result of its better electronics.

The VX would not be the way to go as it is not that much of an upgrade for you.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5654112 - 01/31/13 11:16 AM

Obviously something is wrong, but it is NOT the mount, or at least not a problem common to the CG5. It will most assuredly guide. I've done successful autoguided exposures of 10-minutes + with mine...

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5656058 - 02/01/13 10:32 AM

Quote:

When I asked around in my club, that's when I got the offer from another club member to sell me his iEQ45. I have to say, I'm really leaning that direction now. I won't be buying until my tax refund comes back, so I have at least a few more weeks to go before I pull the trigger.

I would look very seriously into why he wants to sell the iEQ45. In my opinion there is very good reason to. I would go with a used CGEM or Atlas over the used iOptron any day.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Which would you choose? new [Re: EFT]
      #5656087 - 02/01/13 10:43 AM

ky1duck

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: paducah,ky
Re: Which would you choose? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5657400 - 02/01/13 11:44 PM

i would say ioptron ieq45 i bought mine used and love it. the last owner sold it because he wanted something bigger. customer service was great. even transfered the warrenty to me. easy to carry and polar align is easy and really close. tested it agenst pempro and was only 2 arcsec in ra and 2.5 arcsec in dec.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Which would you choose? new [Re: ky1duck]
      #5657496 - 02/02/13 01:31 AM

i don't see how pempro would give a periodic error for DEC.... in any case i would not believe any figure of 2" p-p periodic error for any chinese mount. even the G11 can't get that.

ky1duck

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: paducah,ky
Re: Which would you choose? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5658481 - 02/02/13 04:46 PM

Quote:

i don't see how pempro would give a periodic error for DEC.... in any case i would not believe any figure of 2" p-p periodic error for any chinese mount. even the G11 can't get that.

i was not refering to the tracking error. i was talking about how close the polar scope get when setting up. and using pempro's polar align to see how close it was. sorry if i said it wrong. or confused anyone. my mount its self has a PE of 13 p-p using pempro and again sorry if i confused anyone.

robert

HenryV1598

Reged: 09/01/10

Loc: Houston
Re: Which would you choose? new [Re: EFT]
      #5661871 - 02/04/13 02:11 PM

He's selling the iEQ45 because he picked up an EM-11, didn't need to carry that much weight, and didn't need the iOptron anymore. I have no concerns whatsoever that he's just trying to unload the mount.

Uncle Rod, what do you use to guide? I've tried several cameras, a few different guide scopes, and at least 4 different software options. Every single time, I get one of two problems: either very streaky stars or it starts beeping at me after a minute telling me its not guiding. I've tried bright stars, less bright stars and tinkering with the settings in advanced setup. I've tried it on two different CG-5's. I've tried running through the ST-4 port and through the hand control from the computer. I CAN control the scope, its not a lack of communication with the scope itself. But I cannot successfully get it to guide. I've updated everything I can update, and banged my head against it time after time. Any ideas what it would be otherwise?

If it was one mount, I'd be willing to say "bad mount", but two different ones behaving exactly the same? I've tried swapping out controllers between them, that's not it either. same problem on both sides. So I'm stumped as to where I could be going wrong.

Erik30

Reged: 10/16/12

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN
      #5662062 - 02/04/13 04:15 PM

Maybe the camera or pc? I was using the Orion Starshoot Auto guider and was running into the same issues. I uninstalled the camera drivers and reinstalled. No issues with now the CG-5 or my iEQ45. I run Windows 8 64-bit with it also.

HenryV1598

Reged: 09/01/10

Loc: Houston
Re: Which would you choose? new [Re: Erik30]
      #5662074 - 02/04/13 04:26 PM

I've tried it on 3 different laptops: xp pro, vista, and 7 pro. I've used an atik 16c, a meade DSI III, a cheap meade cam that they used to bundle with a dept. store type scope (actually, not a horrible cam, better than the LPI), and an unbranded version of orion's starshoot solar system cam. I've also used a celestron NexGuide. I've used PHD most, but also tried a couple others that came highly recommended. No good. I've tried them through two different 80mm scopes and through a 50mm guide scope (the one orion sells to bundle with one of their autoguider cams). I have also tried it through the 8" OTA with the 80mm for imaging.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1837

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics