Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Cepheus Elf

Reged: 08/01/10

Loc: Rainy, Cloudy Lancashire UK
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: RafaelP]
      #5639302 - 01/23/13 05:39 PM

Great that you are using your Mak for deep sky observing!!! Too many people dismiss Maks as just " lunar and planetary" scopes which is just plain nonsense!!

Clear skies,
Mick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stephen S
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/07

Loc: Evansville, IN
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: Cepheus Elf]
      #5643442 - 01/25/13 09:56 PM

RafaelP, your paintings are fantastic! Don't know if I've ever seen astro items in oil. I love good art. The combo of oil painting and astronomy, just awesome!

By the way, I currently have a Questar I got in a trade. This post has convinced me to get the C90. Very interested (and a little scared) to try them side by side. Love the Questar but I could buy some really nice eyepieces for the price difference.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: Stephen S]
      #5643540 - 01/25/13 11:00 PM

Here's a 3-way shootout by Ed Ting featuring the Questar, C90 and Meade ETX:

http://www.scopereviews.com/90mmComparo.html

It'll be interesting if you reach similar conclusions. Looking forward to your findings.

Regards,

Jim

RafaelP

Reged: 12/01/12

Loc: NYC
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5644095 - 01/26/13 10:17 AM

Thanks Stephen! The little painting was fun to do. I love the C90 and it traveled very easily as a carry on for 4 flights already.

I must say though that I am considering a larger scope that would also fit on the Dwarfstar(anyone have a C5 or C6 they want to sell?)
~Rafael

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5645219 - 01/26/13 10:28 PM

You can get a brand spanking new C6 here for $400:

http://www.highpointscientific.com/product/CEL-91010-XLT/Celestron-C6-A-SCT-A...

The C6 is a big, little scope.

Regards,

Jim

Stephen S
professor emeritus

#5645277 - 01/26/13 11:22 PM

Quote:

You can get a brand spanking new C6 here for $400:

http://www.highpointscientific.com/product/CEL-91010-XLT/Celestron-C6-A-SCT-A...

Great price for a very nice scope! Alas, at 10 lbs, it might be a bit much for the Dwarfstar, especially after you add diagonal and eyepieces.

I totally understand the temptation to upgrade in size. I started with a 125mm Mak and two eyepieces. I now have six scopes ranging in size from 3" to 12.5" and three times as many eyepieces. Optically speaking, the 12.5" out shines them all (pun intended). That said, I find the small ones get the most use. Sold my 3" refractor and miss it dearly for this very reason. Very excited to be getting the C90 as a possible replacement.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5645301 - 01/26/13 11:51 PM

Hmm, that is probably too hefty for a Dwarfstar.

The C5 is just 6 pounds, but costs more at $449.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=485314&is=REG&...

Of course that also gets you a soft case with the C5.

Regards,

Jim

RafaelP

#5645318 - 01/27/13 12:14 AM

I emailed Larry at UA several weeks ago to ask. He said the Dwarfstar has the strength to be able to handle the C6 but to make sure the tripod can.

Stephen S
professor emeritus

#5645382 - 01/27/13 02:12 AM

Nice! I have a Unistar Deluxe that I really like. Perhaps a Dwarfstar for my soon to arrive C90 makes sense...

curiosidad
sage

Reged: 06/09/11

#5645512 - 01/27/13 05:36 AM

Hello,
And you have not thought of a mak 4 "? Opening a little more, a little more resolution and not much more weight ..
regards
PD.: Many years ago I could use a Mak 3.5 ", later a 105mm (both ETX), and the latter was better!

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5645596 - 01/27/13 08:21 AM

Quote:

Hmm, that is probably too hefty for a Dwarfstar.

The C5 is just 6 pounds, but costs more at $449.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=485314&is=REG&...

Of course that also gets you a soft case with the C5.

Regards,

Jim

Why is this? I never understood the disparity in the pricing of these two scopes. The C6 clearly has more to offer for the money and IMHO is just as portable, although of different bulk.The C5 should be around $300 max or the C6 priced higher...that case apparently is pricey!

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? [Re: t.r.]
      #5649508 - 01/28/13 11:40 PM

Just had to chime in here re my C90 tonight. An unusually good seeing night, just now, for around here anyway. Jupiter at 178x was loaded with detail. Could see a pale dot as a moon began a transit (Europa i think). Ended up using a 6mm ortho (208x)no detail increase, just bigger image but still sharp. Ended up trying 250x without image breakdown. The scope is an absurd bargain.

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: Oregon USA
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: moynihan]
      #5650924 - 01/29/13 06:43 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

I'll jump in too! I used to have one of the older C-90's from 1986, but I don't think it was an especially good one and I later gave it to a friend.
With all the good reviews of the new model, and the incredible price, I bought one last year and have been really pleased with it! It's so portable (I also enjoy my C-5) and I never worry about it when traveling.
I use it with 3 different mts. An old Bogen 3246 tripod w/ 3063 panhead/ Scopestuff vixen saddle and Orion alt/az fine motion tripod adapter, a Voyager alt/az mt. w/pier extension, and sometimes the GT mt. (and Orion L-bracket)from a Nexstar 102 achro I picked up from Costco thinking about using the mt. with my PST (but have discovered the 102 achro to be a good performer as well).
The new C-90 delivers nice views and can't be beat at these prices IMO.
---Maya

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: Crow Haven]
      #5652097 - 01/30/13 11:28 AM

Well I had one and (like an idiot) sold it as I tended to use my Orion 127 mak.
Now I,m planning a trip so the C90 would be ideal, maybe end up getting a replacement?, DA.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5652209 - 01/30/13 12:21 PM

This brings up a good question...many of us intend to travel with the C90, what then is the ideal travel mount? Lets say we want it and the scope to fit into a standard airline carry-on of 45" total. What would you all recommend? Remember the StellarVue "Route 66" travel kit...something along those lines. Ideas...

NHRob
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/04

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5652258 - 01/30/13 12:49 PM

When I travel I just bring binos. Way more convenient and hassle free.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: NHRob]
      #5652307 - 01/30/13 01:18 PM

I like binoculars, but a small telescope like the C90 is way more versatile. The ability to change eyepieces mean you can look at a lot of things from planets to DSOs. I was surprised the other night what a fine job my Orange Tube C90 was doing Jupiter. The GRS was easy to see, though I don't consider it a very easy target right now.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5652335 - 01/30/13 01:32 PM

I agree...when you travel somewhere with perhaps great seeing, you wouldn't want to be saying to yourself, "I wish I had brought the C90 instead"! Thats the idea here, take it with you, but with what kind of kit? I've been thinking the little Orion EQ-1 table top would go along way, but table tops are not necessarily convenient to find when traveling. Perhaps a collapsible tripod with an M1 or Drawfstar mount?

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5652347 - 01/30/13 01:36 PM

I am still not happy with my ultraportable mount--a photo tripod with a slo-mo adapter. And not much of a photo tripod to begin with. Try a Focal refugee from the dadgum K-Mart.

I need something that can go in checked bags without me worrying about it, while little Stella in her case goes in the overhead bin. Until I think of something better, this is my standard "flying in to a star party to speak" rig, and it actually does OK...and is mucho bettero than the 50mm binoculars I used to take a long.

Edited by rmollise (01/30/13 01:39 PM)

RafaelP

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5652385 - 01/30/13 01:51 PM

How I traveled with my C90:
I have my C90 in it's little backpack wrapped in bubble wrap. In the backpack I was also able to fit a mirror diagonal in it's box, a small waterproof box with 3 eyepieces and barlow (32mm,20mm and a 12.4 with a 1.5x to 2x GSO barlow.) I posted a photo on a previous page. I carried this on the plane with no problem, it is very compact and fits under the seat. I was pulled aside once out of four flights so the TSA could look through the bag, but it was quick and painless.
For the mount I used the very small Dwarfstar. I have a larger tripod, but next time I travel I will probably get the Manfrotto 055XDB. It is rated for 15lbs and can probably fit in to most luggage(24" broken down.) I wrapped my tripod in a cheap yoga mat to protect it.

I like binoculars too, but after using both a pair of Zeiss binoculars and the C90 to look at the sky, they really are in a different league in terms of what you can see. At least in a terribly light polluted city.

edit: I used an ipad 1 using Sky Safari 3 as my charting tool(also availble for for android and other iOS devices.) You can set the FOV of the telrad-like rings to match your current set set up(7 degrees for my 6x30 finder, ~1 degree for the eyepiece.) It made for super easy on the fly star hopping.

Edited by RafaelP (01/30/13 02:54 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11844

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics