Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Reged: 11/10/03

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: C11 mount for visual [Re: EFT]
      #5649574 - 01/29/13 12:41 AM

Quote:

If you have a lot of experience using and tweaking (or maybe are incredibly lucky) you can use a CG-5 for this purpose. But I work on these mounts all the time and have owned them and do not personally consider the CG-5 suitable for anything bigger than a C8 and that is from my own personal experience. Can I balance a C11 on a CG-5 and make it work. Heck yes, but someone in my line of work should be able to do that just as I would expect Rod to be able to do. Would I ever recommend it to someone else. Never. I could balance a C14 on a CG-5 if I wanted to, but what does that have to do with anything? Personally, I don't even consider the C11/CGEM combination to be my favorite and find the C11 to be better suited to the CGEM DX.

My hero!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
Re: C11 mount for visual new [Re: Joe Bergeron]
      #5669521 - 02/08/13 06:05 PM

will, i already have a new cg5 so, im between the 9.25 and 11". i just cant see going from a 8 to a 9.25 if im looking for aperture. so why not give it a try and if its not working purchase a heavier mount. im viewing at low power say in the 70s so i cant see a lot of vibration there,of course i could be wrong!!! any thoughts on that. thanks, donnie.

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: C11 mount for visual new [Re: donnie3]
      #5669638 - 02/08/13 07:18 PM

I have tried my C11 on my Sirius mount before and at its lowest power it will work just fine as long as the wind is not blowing to much. At medium and high power I can't even focus it due to all the shaking. So your theory is sound, the CG5 will probably work at low power too. It might even work at higher power. Just make sure you use vibration suppression pads, those will make a significant difference. Focusing will probably still be a problem but it just means you will be spending some extra time achieving focus.

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
Re: C11 mount for visual new [Re: Lane]
      #5670854 - 02/09/13 02:30 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

this may be a dumb question but with this mount setup(not using the tripod legs) would there be less vibration with a 11" on it or is it the size of the mount itself that causes the vibration. i experience very little if any vibration using my meade 8" on it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1848

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics