Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1
wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
New Style TeleVue IS Feathertouch Focuser Question
      #5649605 - 01/29/13 01:24 AM

Hey All.

I just picked up a new Tele Vue NP127IS.

This is the new version of the NP127IS with the 10:1 Feathertouch designed focuser and SS dew shield.

I've gone through and searched but with no success or most of the posts are about the older Tele Vue IS version.

I won't have the scope for a few more days. I've been in the process of looking up possible accessories I may need.

Anyone know if a Starizona/Feathertouch motor will fit on the new focuser? I have an extra motor and would rather go that route than a Robofocus or the Focusmate.

I was about to pull the trigger on the Focusmate and Focusmaster with micron indicator. My searches of the forum came up with that the Focusmate is designed by Orion. (Says so on the hand held controller) and that the Focusmaster controller is just a shoestring astronomy focus controller marked up in price.

So, if the Starizona/Feathertouch motor works, then I should just go that route? I take it the Tele Vue Focusmate setup with micron indicator is probably not worth it? Searches also said (again older posts about the older 6:1 focuser IS Model)that the Focusmate slips? Or is not as precise?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: New Style TeleVue IS Feathertouch Focuser Question new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5649672 - 01/29/13 03:37 AM

I had an NP101 with Feathertouch and Focusmate and imho the Feathertouch is far, far superior in every way.

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
Re: New Style TeleVue IS Feathertouch Focuser Question new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5649994 - 01/29/13 10:26 AM

+1

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/20/07

Loc: Anza, California
Re: New Style TeleVue IS Feathertouch Focuser Question new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5650762 - 01/29/13 05:08 PM

Quote:

I was about to pull the trigger on the Focusmate and Focusmaster with micron indicator.

Good that you didn't pull the trigger on that one. I have both. I tried for months to get this gear to work with FocusMax. In the process I burned up two FocusMasters. I finally gave up on the TV focusing system and went with a Feathertouch retrofit (which I believe is identical to the focuser TV is currently offering with these scopes) and the Starizona focusing kit. It all worked perfectly with FocusMax the first evening I tried it. In the meantime, my FocusMaster and Digital Indicator sit in their original boxes. What a waste of money!

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: New Style TeleVue IS Feathertouch Focuser Question new [Re: Calypte]
      #5650778 - 01/29/13 05:18 PM

Thanks!

That is what I am looking for. I'm hoping my current motor will fit.. It should... Thanks again!

Pages: 1

Extra information
14 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 594

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics