Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
MrGrytt
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/28/05

Loc: Upstate Cuomostan
Re: Dream setup on Other Site new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5647317 - 01/28/13 01:36 AM

Quote:

I agree. The MkVs, barlow, and box are worth around $1500 used. That leaves $8K, or $1K for each eyepiece - about $300 over current market value. So the full kit is $2K+ over what they would fetch separately - but there is definitely some added value of finding these all together in one kit. I'm sure the seller could get $8K+.

Again though I don't see using 4mm or even 6mm orthos for binoviewing (Sergio maybe you can share your experiences in this). A more sensible idea is to get one pair of 16mm ZAO-IIs and Glasspath your way to higher power.

The last single set of them went for $4250 on auction. Not saying they should bring that much but a full set will become more and more difficult to find as time goes on. The Baader Mark V goes for $1785 and the Zeiss Abbe Barlow goes for $489.

That would total $10,774.00. The $9,500 isn't all that outrageous if someone really wants a set of them.

Harvey

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Dream setup on Other Site new [Re: MrGrytt]
      #5647515 - 01/28/13 07:41 AM

I'm thoroughly convinced the Leica zooms (either version) are the way to go for binoviewing over these ZAO's for the same top-notch performance, but some will have to have the reputed best of the best. I think sticking the eyepieces in a binoviewer and the predominant seeing conditions level the playing field for these two great marvels, where as used in mono-mode, a difference may be realized.

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
Re: Dream setup on Other Site new [Re: t.r.]
      #5648148 - 01/28/13 01:15 PM

Quote:

I'm thoroughly convinced the Leica zooms (either version) are the way to go for binoviewing over these ZAO's for the same top-notch performance

Yes, but one must also consider the 59mm body diameter of the Leica ASPH Zoom, which, in combination with the square-shaped upper end, might cause nose clearance and/or IPD problems.

Stephan

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Dream setup on Other Site new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #5648364 - 01/28/13 02:34 PM

Not so with the Vario Zoom...only 52mm.

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: Dream setup on Other Site new [Re: t.r.]
      #5648405 - 01/28/13 02:53 PM

Something to consider. Any 4mm ortho, Zeiss Abbe II or whatever, has so little eye relief that your eye is basically touching the eye lens to see the field stop. I know, I have a 4mm volcano top from Kokasi Kohi (sp?). And what exactly is the point of a 16mm ZAOII or any other ortho? Wide fields with a 45 deg. field of view?

So in my mind the 6mm and 10 mm ZAO II orthos are probably great for high contrast viewing of planets, the moon, etc. But when you buy the set, you're really only getting two useful eyepieces.

Just my $0.02.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Dream setup on Other Site new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5648657 - 01/28/13 04:38 PM

I prefer the 16mm for the extra eye relief Rodger, if I could only have one for binoviewing it would be the 16mm. In fact in my 15" dob I can rarely go any shorter, the 16mm + 1.7X Newtonian Corrector gives me 182X. In my FS152 I just glasspath them to the proper magnification, with a 2.6X GPC I get 196X with the 16mm's.

I often start my FS152 session with the 2.6X GPC installed with 24mm Pans or Brandons at 132X, and work my way to shorter fl's according to what the atmosphere will tolerate.

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

#5648683 - 01/28/13 04:51 PM

IF your using the 16 mm in binos, I think that makes sense. It should give you about 10 mm with the 1.7 GPC. I just meant the native focal lengths. When I'm at 16 mm I usually use my Nagler type 6 for the wider FOV. At that point I'm going after star clusters or galaxies, etc.

junomike
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
      #5649027 - 01/28/13 07:25 PM

There's a New Dream Set Up on AM (Auction).

The opening bid of $7500 seems a bit ridiculous at first glance, but when you break It down, It's actually reasonable.

Mike

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #5649053 - 01/28/13 07:36 PM

Quote:

And what exactly is the point of a 16mm ZAOII or any other ortho?

Anything that will fit in the fov and would benefit from the reduced scatter and increased contrast. I use the 16, 25 and 34's more than the 4 and 6. Great deep sky eyepieces.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5649292 - 01/28/13 09:22 PM

Quote:

IF your using the 16 mm in binos, I think that makes sense.

Well these are being sold as bino pairs with a binoviewer, and this is the binoviewer forum.

For monovision I'd still prefer the 16mm + a 2.5X Powermate to the 6mm ZAO-II, I just have a very low tolerance for short eye relief.

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

#5650000 - 01/29/13 10:28 AM

I understand that they are being sold as bino pairs Johnny, but if you use the 6 mm and 4 mm with a 1.7 GPC you get 3.5 mm and 2.4 mm. I wonder how often you could use the 6 mm at 3.5 mm and the 4 mm at 2.4 mm with the GPC. You would need really good seeing for sure.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

#5650064 - 01/29/13 11:07 AM

Quote:

I understand that they are being sold as bino pairs Johnny, but if you use the 6 mm and 4 mm with a 1.7 GPC you get 3.5 mm and 2.4 mm. I wonder how often you could use the 6 mm at 3.5 mm and the 4 mm at 2.4 mm with the GPC. You would need really good seeing for sure.

One could use a 1.25x GPC.

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: Dream setup on Other Site [Re: junomike]
      #5650127 - 01/29/13 11:44 AM

Quote:

There's a New Dream Set Up on AM (Auction).

The opening bid of $7500 seems...

"Dream set-up".... nightmare pricetag!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2914

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics