Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5646163 - 01/27/13 02:26 PM

It seems likely that the future belongs to digital publications. Too bad for things like fold-out maps, etc. But as our generation, the one that is firmly entrenched with the paper book, fades from the scene, the next generations who grow up with more limited access to books will only consider them a quaint historical thing. I feel a lot will be lost.

But, I see it in every facet of the new e-business environment. I spent my career (one of them, anyway) working on mainframe computers where custom, exact-fit programming by in-house staff was the norm. Now, this is being replaced by off-the-shelf PC software with limited-to-nonexistant customization capabilities, and I see businesses changing their business model to comply with the software rather than the reverse. This always results in a loss of functionality, and frustration to the customer because they can no longer do what they need to do, and no longer have any control over problem resolution.

Everything is being forced into a single set of parameters; one size fits all.

*sigh*

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: George N]
      #5646365 - 01/27/13 04:24 PM

Quote:

....and here's a little "on-line reading", with stats on falling book sales: web page and web page

This just reinforces where I think all this is going--an all e-book world. In my opinion, the only question is when. I am going to now buy those astronomy books that I have put off buying. They might not be available in the near future.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5646473 - 01/27/13 05:18 PM

Quote:

It seems likely that the future belongs to digital publications. Too bad for things like fold-out maps.

Boy, it would be a tragedy if books disappeared -- but at some level the loss would be as much sentimental as practical.

Same can't be said for maps. Maps need space -- lots of space. A map on a smartphone is miserable. Even the best online maps on a large monitor are pathetic. Until somebody invents a digital display that folds out to three-by-four feet, no digital map will ever serve the same function as a printed map.

Mind you, I'm well aware that digital maps can do things that printed maps can't, such as zoom, hyperlink, and compute path lengths on the fly. All very valuable, but not at all a substitute.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5647327 - 01/28/13 01:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It seems likely that the future belongs to digital publications. Too bad for things like fold-out maps.

Boy, it would be a tragedy if books disappeared -- but at some level the loss would be as much sentimental as practical.

I suppose. But I can't help seeing it as part of the dehumanization process. We've gone from "pictures" to "images"; from a "Personnel" department to a "Human Resources" department; there are lots of other examples. Losing the tactile aspect of a book, the feel of a good binding, the solid reliability and changelessness of a printed work that won't potentially say something slightly different next time you read it; these things disturb me.

Quote:

Same can't be said for maps. Maps need space -- lots of space. A map on a smartphone is miserable. Even the best online maps on a large monitor are pathetic. Until somebody invents a digital display that folds out to three-by-four feet, no digital map will ever serve the same function as a printed map.

Mind you, I'm well aware that digital maps can do things that printed maps can't, such as zoom, hyperlink, and compute path lengths on the fly. All very valuable, but not at all a substitute.

Yeah. It seems like it shouldn't be an either/or situation, doesn't it?
But, money talks, and human emotional values and considerations walk.

PS: Nice cartoon of you on your scooter!

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5647505 - 01/28/13 07:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I suppose. But I can't help seeing it as part of the dehumanization process ... Losing the tactile aspect of a book, the feel of a good binding ... these things disturb me.

Indeed. I've done my fair share of book reviews, and each time I remember my daughter's first step in reviewing a book -- open it up and smell it.

"Nah, this book is no good. Doesn't smell right."

Books are history. No other invention was as critical to who we are now as the printing press. Cars, airplanes, the telephone ... those are all trivial compared to the importance of inexpensive, mass-produced books.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

#5649500 - 01/28/13 11:37 PM

On CNN they mentioned Barnes and Nobles was having trouble being profitable, and they may go by the wayside just like Borders (due to electronic books). So I guess the answer is sooner than we think or hope. Sorry

Rich (RLTYS)
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
      #5650042 - 01/29/13 10:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I suppose. But I can't help seeing it as part of the dehumanization process ... Losing the tactile aspect of a book, the feel of a good binding ... these things disturb me.

Indeed. I've done my fair share of book reviews, and each time I remember my daughter's first step in reviewing a book -- open it up and smell it.

Books are history. No other invention was as critical to who we are now as the printing press. Cars, airplanes, the telephone ... those are all trivial compared to the importance of inexpensive, mass-produced books.

Your daughters right, old books have that certin smell to them that I just love.

Rich (RLTYS)

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: George N]
      #5650122 - 01/29/13 11:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And when you need to "do your thing," it's easier to carry a book into the bathroom instead of a computer.

Hmm, this opens whole new horizons. Should we be rating laptops on absorbency?

At least 10 years ago I had business reasons to visit at least one IBM facility. The company had installed TV screens in the employee bathrooms…. to show adds for IBM products! Maybe that was to get them back to work faster?

Not so much an issue on absorbancy, but a matter of time before 'waterproof' home computers are intalled in each and every bathroom!!!....good thing, or bad thing?????

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
      #5650135 - 01/29/13 11:48 AM

Quote:

It seems likely that the future belongs to digital publications. Too bad for things like fold-out maps, etc.

I got this issue solved, Rick!!!....I'll buy the digital file of the "fold-out map", go to my nearest print shop, and have a paper copy made up!!! See, no problem!!!!!

GDN
sage

Reged: 04/14/11

Loc: Northern Michigan
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? [Re: RobertED]
      #5650182 - 01/29/13 12:16 PM

Until we find a way to produce a 'self-regenerating' energy source, printed material will always "win-out". When the batteries run out and the electricity quits, you can still light a candle and read a print. Can't tell you how many times I've done that over the years.
Stormy weekend, power outage,... light the candles and settle down to a good book.

(Of course I also turn on the electric blanket and pop some popcorn.)

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: GDN]
      #5650261 - 01/29/13 12:54 PM

I remember growing up in the 60s and 70s , spending all the spare time I could muster in the library, Ive honestly never been a book sniffer, hehehehehehehe, but your right ,the library does have a certain smell to it.
One of my favorite books in the library then was Patrick Moores " Amateur Astronomy " a few years ago, my local library here had a book sale, I bought the same book for 1 dollar.
Such is the value of old books, worth 10 times that much in memorys.
I dont think Id want to live in a world with no books, thankfully Im old enough to never see the day, but I fear for future generations.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: droid]
      #5650392 - 01/29/13 01:56 PM

Quote:

Such is the value of old books, worth 10 times that much in memorys.

10,000 times!
I can't imagine anyone growing up with fond memories of their favorite PDF file, then rejoicing when they get to download it again. But, it could happen, I guess.

Quote:

I dont think Id want to live in a world with no books, thankfully Im old enough to never see the day, but I fear for future generations.

Big +1. But I'm not so sure about being too old to see the day. Events are accelerating all the time; it could be here in just a few years.

So buy books NOW, while they're available.
And before it becomes illegal to be a book hoarder!

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
      #5650452 - 01/29/13 02:29 PM

Quote:

Until we find a way to produce a 'self-regenerating' energy source, printed material will always "win-out"...

Or should we say, when we stop having to get a new system to view what we have every six months to a couple of years. Who now can play the old VHS tapes, etc. I can no longer even print out my resume that was stored on a floppy disk, got to retype it. Untill that day occures, a stable long lasting system with a better batery, I think books will survive.

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5650661 - 01/29/13 04:18 PM

Quote:

I've done my fair share of book reviews, and each time I remember my daughter's first step in reviewing a book -- open it up and smell it.

2007. Dublin, Ireland. Trinity College library. I'll never forget walking up and down the main floor of this 400 year-old library with that wonderful, musty smell of paper and leather. Hundreds of thousands of ancient books are housed there. One of those experiences...

Wish I could have gotten into the restricted upper floors that overlooked the main floor. There's where the really old books were kept. The place is truly magical. I could have spent a month there fueled by power bars and coffee.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5650759 - 01/29/13 05:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've done my fair share of book reviews, and each time I remember my daughter's first step in reviewing a book -- open it up and smell it.

2007. Dublin, Ireland. Trinity College library. I'll never forget walking up and down the main floor of this 400 year-old library with that wonderful, musty smell of paper and leather. Hundreds of thousands of ancient books are housed there. One of those experiences...

Wish I could have gotten into the restricted upper floors that overlooked the main floor. There's where the really old books were kept. The place is truly magical. I could have spent a month there fueled by power bars and coffee.

Wow, that sounds great.

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: droid]
      #5650905 - 01/29/13 06:34 PM

Quote:

If you watch this movie: "Fahrenheit 451" the book lovers horror film, you might not sleep for a week.

Eric

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5651257 - 01/29/13 10:03 PM

More importantly IVE GOT THE.....BOOK

BillFerris
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/17/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
      #5651360 - 01/29/13 11:16 PM

Quote:

Maps need space -- lots of space. A map on a smartphone is miserable. Even the best online maps on a large monitor are pathetic. Until somebody invents a digital display that folds out to three-by-four feet, no digital map will ever serve the same function as a printed map.

Harvey Butchart's Topographical Map of Grand Canyon

Harvey Butchart is widely regarded as the greatest modern explorer of Grand Canyon. After moving to Flagstaff, Arizona in 1945, Butchart spent the next four decades hiking within the depths of the canyon. Venturing below the rim mostly on weekends, Butchart spent more than 1,000 days in Grand Canyon, hiking an estimated 12,000 miles, making first ascents of numerous summits and pioneering well over 100 routes through the canyon's most intimidating barrier, the Redwall Limestone. Butchart recorded his hikes in written logs and by tracing the routes he walked on a 1948 reprinting of the Matthes and Evans topographical map of Grand Canyon. The above link will take you to a digital copy of Butchart's personal map, made available through the online archives of Cline Library at Northern Arizona University.

That any of use are able to peruse Harvey Butchart's personal map, get close to it, and see it with such clarity and detail is only possible because the original print has been translated to high resolution digital files. If you zoom in as far as the interface allows, you'll see the map as well--probably better--than if you could lay out the original on a table and scan it in person. If you position the zoom slider about halfway between the "+" and "-", you'll see the map at roughly the same scale as most printed maps are when examined up close. And up close is how most maps are viewed. We don't stand back and take in maps in their entirety; at least, not for long. Most people focus on a specific section of a map, bring the map near enough to see that section in good detail and continue reading the map in this manner. That is exactly the experience you'll get when using the above interface to view Harvey Butchart's map of Grand Canyon.

When preparing for an overnight backpacking trip in Grand Canyon, one of the most valuable resources I have is National Geographic's "TOPO Arizona" digital mapping software. Using this tool, I am able to create custom maps for each day of my upcoming trip. Printouts mapping each day's intended route are packed and used as my primary reference during the hike. I use paper printouts for the obvious reasons:
* Light weight
* Fit in a ziplock sandwich bag
* Notes can be made on them
* No batteries required

All of the above are technical challenges that will one day be overcome. Eventually--in my son's lifetime, if not in mine--digital maps will be as transportable, lightweight and durable as the paper maps we use, today.

The day that happens is the day printed maps become thoroughly obsolete as every day tools. As objets d'art, printed maps will always have and be valued. But as a practical matter, printed items will be missed about as much as the horse & buggy, the Victrola, kinescope, eight-track cassettes, pay phone booths, etc. Yes, there will be a small segment of the population who celebrate and continue such traditions. But the vast majority of us will accept and even embrace the advantages new technologies bring.

How long will printed books be available? I don't know and don't really care. I enjoy reading a good book. Curling up in bed and spending the last minutes of my day reading a book or magazine article--or perusing a printed map--are enjoyable activities in my book. I enjoy reading books because it's what I know. I grew up a reader, read to my son most every night for the first seven years of his life and still enjoy the feel, smell and sound of a book in the hand.

Some day in the next year or so, I'll get a tablet. Either someone will buy it for me as a gift or I'll buy it for myself. Either way, I'll eventually start using it to download and read books. I'll enjoy the simplicity of it, the ease of it and the fact that my nightstand isn't cluttered with books I've read the last several months. It won't take long before, without really thinking about it, I'll use the tablet for most all my reading. And that won't be a sad day. Nor will it be a day to celebrate. It will be a day just like any other.

That's how life is. Big things happen on days just like any other. And most of the time, we don't even realize the big thing that just happened was all that big.

Bill in Flag

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: BillFerris]
      #5651484 - 01/30/13 12:51 AM

When someone invents a large, paper-thin, high-def screen that folds up like a map, and allows you to turn it into any map you want, that problem may be solved.

Everything has its place. But books have a much more exalted place than electronics in my world.

Rich (RLTYS)
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5651942 - 01/30/13 10:01 AM

My dream is to have an old fashion library with dark wood paneling and bookshelfs from floor to ceiling full of books.

Rich (RLTYS)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5957

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics