Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Scott in NCModerator
Mad Hatter

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: Stellarvue SV80S Dew Shade "Droop" problem... new [Re: Mary]
      #5617553 - 01/11/13 04:23 PM

Quote:

Plain old Stardust blue...
Regards,

Jim

Quote:

You mean Beautiful Stardust Blue!!!!

Mary

Mary's got the right spirit! In my book, Stardust Blue is never "plain old."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
astrogeezer41

Reged: 08/27/10

Re: Stellarvue SV80S Dew Shade "Droop" problem... new [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5617761 - 01/11/13 06:41 PM

Hi Everyone,
I like stardust blue too!
-Robert

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Stellarvue SV80S Dew Shade "Droop" problem... new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5647842 - 01/28/13 11:12 AM

Okay, here's my update.

The "droop" is fixed. I used negative, adhesive Velcro strips (3 of them) and it works pretty well.

I also installed the replacement hardware from Starlight, and that, too, is perfect.

Sadly, in the oblique lighting coming into my shed across my workbench, what I thought was just a scratch in the tube paint turned out to be an actual dent in the tube. By reconstructing the packing (I save everything) I could piee together how it happened. The seller packed the clamshell loose in the box and wrapped the OTA with a a layer of bubble wrap. At some point in the juggling process by the shipper, the post on the clamshell was jammed hard against the tube, denting it through the layer of bubble wrap. The radius and position of the dent fit the clamshell post radius and orientation perfectly.

Sadly, this little scope will never achieve "very good" condition status through restoration as I'd hoped. Other quibbles uncovered in the servicing include the paint job. Stardust blue is lovely, but the paint on the dew shade and paint on the tube don't match. When I applied acrylic polish to the tube and dew shade, I discovered why. The dew shade is not clear coated. The tube is. This leads to different paint fading rates for the two components.

I should have my Desert Sky Astro mounts in a couple-few weeks, so first light for this tired little SV80S will wait for the DSV-1. It will never be worth much on resale beyond the optics value as the tube has some manufacturing/design and handling/wear issues, but hopefully it will perform as well as other 80mm LOMO optics I've seen.

Assuming it passes first light muster, I'll look for a case for it. Any suggestions for a padded soft case for the SV80S?

Thanks!

- Jim

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5648787 - 01/28/13 05:33 PM

Really too bad to hear. Hope the optics are good. I suppose you could remove everything, work out the dent and then take the tube & dew-shield to a powdercoater.

Moonglum
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/01/08

Re: Stellarvue SV80S Dew Shade "Droop" problem... new [Re: SteveG]
      #5648885 - 01/28/13 06:17 PM

Might be worth it to get a quote from Stellarvue for an entirely new tube in your choice of color. Could be less then $300, but I'm just guessing. Months ago I asked someone at Stellarvue for a replacement tube for a 4", but Vic was on holiday so I was told to call back in a week, but I never did. I was also told that Vic had "lots of tubes lying around".

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Stellarvue SV80S Dew Shade "Droop" problem... new [Re: Moonglum]
      #5648910 - 01/28/13 06:32 PM

I sent my scope into Stellarvue in the middle of June to have the focuser changed. After some dancing and just too many "I'll get to it tomorrow" E-mails I finally received my scope back on October 1st with the original focuser intact, but with a different objective and serial number. It will not make the trip back to Auburn again.

Stan

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Stellarvue SV80S Dew Shade "Droop" problem... new [Re: Moonglum]
      #5649046 - 01/28/13 07:33 PM

Yeah, I sent Stellarvue an e-mail asking about various refurbishment options for the scope, and received no reply. Not impressed with their service, to be totally honest.

- Jim

Scott BeithAdministrator
SRF

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: Frederick, MD
      #5649234 - 01/28/13 08:51 PM

Never send emails. Call and you will find them quite responsive.

Scott in NCModerator
Mad Hatter

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: Stellarvue SV80S Dew Shade "Droop" problem... new [Re: Scott Beith]
      #5649293 - 01/28/13 09:23 PM

Quote:

Call and you will find them quite responsive.

I've never been unable to reach someone who could help me whenever I've called them during office hours. And at least half the time that I've called I've been able to speak to Vic himself. Calling is definitely the way to go.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Stellarvue SV80S Dew Shade "Droop" problem... [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5650193 - 01/29/13 12:21 PM

To be honest their was a time when they were realy on the ball with e-mails however I think they have got so busy they tend to be a bit overwhelmed.However I must say they have given me good service over the years.
Its not only their problem, up in Canada I have been interested in a particular scope and you would think its was like asking for the moon, either the US retailer won,t ship to Canada or I get zero interest from a Canadian retailer,DA.

jouster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/27/05

Re: Stellarvue SV80S Dew Shade "Droop" problem... new [Re: Scott Beith]
      #5651110 - 01/29/13 08:32 PM

Vic responded promptly and very helpfully to my e-mails.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
38 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1957

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics