Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Planetary Camera for Dob [Re: Leibowitz]
      #5650204 - 01/29/13 12:28 PM

The Microsoft life cam hd5000 goes for $35 or so and worked well for me.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Leibowitz

Reged: 01/18/13

Re: Planetary Camera for Dob new [Re: bunyon]
      #5652606 - 01/30/13 03:53 PM

The reviews are mixed on the Orion, I'm not sure. Anyone know of any other webcams from recent history? I'm just looking for options. I'm going to make a purchase soon.

pippo

Reged: 01/12/13

Loc: Paris (FR), Pantelleria (IT)
Re: Planetary Camera for Dob new [Re: Leibowitz]
      #5653532 - 01/31/13 02:08 AM

without drive you need a fast camera like the camera on ebay that I suggested you in my first post. It is cheap and fast.

Edited by pippo (02/01/13 06:13 PM)

pippo

Re: Planetary Camera for Dob new [Re: pippo]
      #5655497 - 02/01/13 02:22 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

Here is an other image of Jupiter + Europa taken on the 30th without drive on a alt-az manual mount a mak 7" and a firefly MV camera an IR filter and with a fair turbulence (pickering scale 5)
http://www.damianpeach.com/pickering.htm

Edited by pippo (02/01/13 03:10 AM)

Leibowitz

#5656706 - 02/01/13 04:34 PM

So, I guess that Orion camera is not nearly fast enough for unguided planetary imaging. I've re-read through your link about the camera in your OP. You've got me 98% sold. My only concern is the modifications that need to be done to it. I know absolutely nothing about photography. Your step by step instructions seem fair I guess. I've got to start somewhere.

Edited by Leibowitz (02/01/13 04:39 PM)

pippo

#5656892 - 02/01/13 06:10 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

I do not know the Orion camera. My opinion is that either you buy a very cheap one (like the Firefly, a used spc900nc or an other cheap webcam) or a camera like the ASI 120MM...

You do not need to modify anything for the Firefly (just to use the beta version of Firecapture). You need to by an adapter (the model for the sp900nc camera) to attach to your scope. So if you compare the price consider also the cost of the adapter.

I got nice pictures (in color) on Jupiter also with a sp900nc at 10fps and my un-driven 7" mak, but not as good (resolved) as those with the Firefly. With a BW camera and an undrive mount it is impossible to use color filters. So you have to stick to BW images.

However on Saturn with the spc900nc I am forced to use 1/25s at f/26 to get enough signal. With this exposition time (even with perfect seeing) I get a blurred image because of the planet drift during the 1/25 s.

You have a 10" telescope, and without drive it is very difficult to use focal lengths exceeding 5000mm with 6micron pixels. Thus it is likely that a used spc900nc can work fine for you (since more light will arrive on each pixel with respect to my 7" case).

Obviously 60fps makes life more easy with an un-driven scope.

I attach an image on Saturn of last year (spring 2012) taken with my 7" undriven mak a spc900nc and very good seeing. I do not get the maximum resolution (the Cassini division should be better resolved with a 7") because I use 1/25s exposition. I did a test with a star, at 1/25s close to Saturn and I get a 3 pixel blur in the direction of the drift. This 3 pixel (of 5.6 micron) blur matches the theoretical expectation with a 4800 mm focal length.

Edited by pippo (02/02/13 05:23 AM)

Leibowitz

#5668580 - 02/08/13 09:31 AM

It seems to me that your both adjusting the sensor sensitivity and manipulating the cameras registers from your link? Also, you say that I need to buy an adapter for my scope? I was under the impression that I would be modifying the camer to fit into the eyepiece, and not vice versa? Sorry for all the questions, I'm quickly trying to educate myself and I'd like to buy one of these cameras before they are gone.

pippo

#5670139 - 02/09/13 04:30 AM

For the Firefly you have to remove the camera lens and to put an adapter to insert the camera in your 1.25" telescope eyepiece connector. The models for the spc900nc webcam work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Webcam-Adapter-for-telescope-1-25-to-Philips-SPC900NC...

You also need to buy a mini-usb cable to connect the camera to your pc.

Finally (but this is needed for any webcam/camera), you need to have a Barlow to increase the focal length in order to have a correct magnification of the planet. To follow manually the planet (with 6micron pixels) I suggest you to use a focal length below 5000 mm. Above this value it is very difficult to recenter manually the planet on the webcam sensor.

Edited by pippo (02/09/13 06:03 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1607

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics