Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
LX200GPS won't boot up new
      #5649285 - 01/28/13 09:19 PM

So I recently flashed the bios. The flashing hung up at 48% for several hours so after discussing the situation with some people online I decided to risk starting over. This time I remembered to choose 115kbps for the speed and this time the HC controller reached 100% and said that it was successful. I rebooted and had no problems at all. Now I've had rain non-stop for a week and finally have some clear enough skies to get things set up again. So after setting everything up I power on but the hand box doesn't boot up. The back lights blink once, the lcd display seems to flicker but nothing else. No beeps no blind controls nothing.

After reading on the web a little I saw mention of a safe mode. Hold down enter and down scroll key. I tried that about a dozen times. Only once did anything happen. It said LX200GPS then the 2001 then a division symbol. I wanted a bit, nothing changed. Went to my computer to connect with the ASU util but it wouldn't connect. I went back to the handbox and now I see a Z after the division symbol. I let it sit there for a while, no change. Tried it again. Holding down enter and down arrow but I can't get it to get that far again.

This is on a new unit. Not an old frayed cable whacked around hc box etc.

Any tips? advice? Or do I just get a new one?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nitegeezer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/27/07

Re: LX200GPS won't boot up new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5649302 - 01/28/13 09:29 PM

The handbox for an LX200GPS is an I/O device only, the computer is in the base of the forks. There is a recovery sequence, hopefully somebody else will chime in as I don't remember it, but a new handbox is probably not the answer.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX200GPS won't boot up new [Re: nitegeezer]
      #5649335 - 01/28/13 09:53 PM

Well, I tried a different power supply and it worked fine. Now I have to figure out the deal with that. I guess it was not getting enough juice. I'll check connections and give it a go. Clouds rolled in and it is windy and cold. Tomorrow is another day. (maybe)

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: LX200GPS won't boot up new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5649607 - 01/29/13 01:28 AM

I think there's a small battery inside the base of the scope that periodically needs replacing. If you're still having trouble, check that. Lots of info on those things on the Yahoo LX200 groups.

Christopher EricksonModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/08/06

Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii
Re: LX200GPS won't boot up new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5649709 - 01/29/13 05:21 AM

Quote:

I think there's a small battery inside the base of the scope that periodically needs replacing. If you're still having trouble, check that. Lots of info on those things on the Yahoo LX200 groups.

The safe recovery mode for Autostar-II's is 999 at bootup. The other mode mentioned is for Autostar 497's.

The Lithium 2032 battery in the base only exists to back up the most-current GPS ephemeris data. When it goes bad, the GPS takes a lot longer to get a satellite lock. It does nothing else for the scope.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: LX200GPS won't boot up new [Re: Christopher Erickson]
      #5650408 - 01/29/13 02:05 PM

Thanks, Chris; that would explain why it takes so long these days. I should change mine out.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX200GPS won't boot up [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5650431 - 01/29/13 02:18 PM

Just an update.

I thought it was power but ended up being a corrupt firmware. After several tries with 999 finally it went into program mode and accepted a re-flash of the firmware. Once completed things seem to be ok at this time. I'll know more tonight. Thanks everyone both in this thread and via email (Andrew) that helped me out.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 779

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics