Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
Losmandy HGM-200 encoder resolution?
      #5651894 - 01/30/13 09:37 AM

Hello folx,
I recently got an older Losmandy HGM-200, the older brother to the Titan. It is a BEAST & after a through clean & lube, and a swap out of Gemini-1 for a Gemini-2 it works like nothing I've ever had before. It is carrying a Celestron 6"f6 C6R, 8"f4 Vixen R200ss, & a IOptron 90mmf2 finder/guider. It doesn't act like it knows they are there. Phenomenal! This especially great when I'm doing outreach, I set the OTA's up so folx can see the difference between what a 6" refractor & an 8" reflector looks like. It works great, until someone nudges the OTA they are looking through, & knocks it "off target". Then I have to refind & sync on the target again. Sometimes this is a major PITA. I need a way to easily refind my target.
There are encoders on the RA/Dec shafts built in. I know that G2 doesn't read external encoders & will not for quite some time to come. I'm OK with that if I have a workaround. I have a Sky Commander-4 from my G11 DDS days that still works & would let me read those encoders to recover my pointing accuracy when the OTA gets knocked off target.

My questions are these:
What are the Pinouts on the HGM-200 encoders?
What is their resolution?

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: Losmandy HGM-200 encoder resolution? new [Re: Startraffic]
      #5653744 - 01/31/13 07:38 AM

Startrafic

A temporary work around would be to sync on a bright star nearby. A telrad is great for this

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
Re: Losmandy HGM-200 encoder resolution? new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5654199 - 01/31/13 12:00 PM

Hilmi,
I had one of those, hated it. I could never get it to really align with the scope. Hard to use with my SNT, Newt, or C6R. It seemed like the batteries were always dead. Took it off found they were corroded, stuffed it a drawer somewhere.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 376

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics