Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1
tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/07/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Tasco 9TE-5 new
      #5653146 - 01/30/13 08:23 PM

Got a chance to pick up one of these from 1965. Is this worth doing for a grab and go classic or should I pass? Can I use my new Paradigms with it (with a hybrid diagonal) ? Pictures look like it's in good condition, with everything included, even has the original box.
I guess what I'm asking is, will it be useable or best just as a decoration?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Grava T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Re: Tasco 9TE-5 [Re: tag1260]
      #5653215 - 01/30/13 09:07 PM Attachment (45 downloads)

Depends on the price. If you can get for $40 or $50 then I would say go for it but if the seller wants say $100 then I would pass. Does it have aluminum focus knobs and a little circle T at the bottom of the label? That would indicate an older model and Towa manufacturer. The focuser is .965 so a hybrid diagonal should work just fine.

Edited by Grava T (01/30/13 09:09 PM)

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Tasco 9TE-5 new [Re: Grava T]
      #5653339 - 01/30/13 10:25 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

I can actually do a LOT better than $40-$50 for it. I just need to know if it's worth the time. How are the optics on these old Tascos? It does have the aluminum knobs but not sure of the "Circle T". It's not near me and all I have to go on are pictures but I have someone else nearby to pick it up for me.

Grava T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Re: Tasco 9TE-5 new [Re: tag1260]
      #5653351 - 01/30/13 10:35 PM

Looks in great condition and complete. I would go for it! The optics are pretty good but honestly I prefer the longer focal lengths for better colour correction. You'll never get the views like your 12" dob but they are well built and super fun to use. You can practically pick it up with one hand and move it anywhere. Heck, you can't even get a decent meal in a restaurant these days for less than $40 and that scope will bring you a lot more pleasure.

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: Tasco 9TE-5 new [Re: Grava T]
      #5653418 - 01/30/13 11:30 PM

Optically theyre good , mine was ok, but a tad soft, image wise.Still though it was ok.If I hadnt done a side by side with another 60x700 that is razor sharp, I wouldnt have even thought about it.
The real downfall, imo, is the steel legs.
I replaced mine with old classic wooden ones.
Regardless, if your getting it dirt chaep, heck yeah ,get on that bad boy.

JonH
sage

Reged: 04/07/12

Loc: Brisbane Australia
Re: Tasco 9TE-5 new [Re: droid]
      #5653618 - 01/31/13 05:18 AM

+1 on getting wooden legs. I was using one of these as a guide scope for my Unitron 152. It really did the job but when I was able to get hold of a Unitron 760 to replace it, there was an obvious difference in performance. Still if you want something to nip out with for a quick peak and are on a budget it would get my vote.

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
      #5653656 - 01/31/13 06:15 AM

Definitely go for it.

Rich (RLTYS)

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Slidell La
Re: Tasco 9TE-5 new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5654072 - 01/31/13 10:52 AM

Hello! Mine is pretty good. It gives good views of the moon and planets especially Venus.I'd recommend that you jump on it. Gary

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Tasco 9TE-5 new [Re: BarabinoSr]
      #5656262 - 02/01/13 12:24 PM

OK. Will I be able to just use a hybrid diagonal and 1.25" eyepieces without any other mods in that area?
Also, to add wooden legs, is that all you need to do I just swap them out) or do you need to modify the tripod to do this?
Thanks

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

#5672470 - 02/10/13 02:31 PM

Just got word that my son was able to pick up this scope for me. He says the condition is good and for $20 I figured it was worth the chance.
What will I need to upgrade on this to make it useable? Is the mount good enough or will I need to do anything with it? It does have the metal legs.
I do plan on finding a nice hybrid diagonal to use my existing eyepieces as I've heard these are the downside of these old telescopes.

Any more pointers or info would be appreciated.
Thanks

SteveNH
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Millbrae, CA
      #5672592 - 02/10/13 03:53 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

You got a fantastic deal for $20. It's a great scope that should give you excellent wide field views, and even a good look at some details on the moon and planets. Mine has the more recent, cheap plastic focusing knobs, but still boasts a Towa objective (has the circle T logo) as yours likely would. Optically it's a great performer, producing beautifully symmetric diffraction test patterns inside and outside focus.

My metal mount was trash, so I temporarily borrowed my Jason 313's EQ mount, which is more than sufficient for this lightweight OTA. The finder is also useless, but it still serves nicely as a temporary pointing aid with the objective stop removed, until I can replace it.

I plan on eventually shortening the tube and replacing the flimsy focuser as well, which doesn't have enough travel, with a 1-1/4" Crayford style. This should make a world of difference. Enjoy your new scope!

Steve

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
      #5673586 - 02/11/13 07:44 AM

The steel legs insert inside the mount, youll see, the wood legs fit on the out side of the leg attach mounts, no mods required, longer bolts obviously, if you buy a set used ,ask about the bolts, if not theyre dirt cheap at hardware stores.
As for the diagonal, youll need a hybrid diagonal...it has the .965 nose that goes into the .965 focuser, but has a 1.25 top to accept standard eye pieces.These are sold by multiple places, Orion comes to mind right off, but Im sure others will chime in with other places who sell them.

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Tasco 9TE-5 new [Re: droid]
      #5673771 - 02/11/13 10:22 AM

Thanks Andy. Where in Ohio are you located? I'm over next to Wheeling, WV. Unfortunately this scope was in Beavercreek but my son was able to pick it up as he's in Dayton. Now for the waiting game until we can get together for me to pick it up!!!

Steve- Nice set up you have there.

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

#5766981 - 03/30/13 02:33 PM

Well.. I just got the scope and aside from some bolts for the tripod, one eyepiece, and the moon filter being missing, it's complete. (If anyone has a moon filter and an eyepiece (It only came with the 12.5 mm) to let go of, let me know as I'd like to have the complete set.)

Looked at the Objective and did a quick clean up and it's ready to go. Just looking around the hills here I'm happy.

There is one very small mark on the lens, which could be a fungus but it looks more like a sort of fingerprint. It's only about 1/8" in size so I'll deal with it later. Hopefully the skies stay as they are right now and I'll get to try it out tonight.

Tag

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

#5769418 - 03/31/13 06:13 PM

Was able to get it out last night for a little bit. Views are nice and seem clear. Only target from my back yard while I had it out was Jupiter. With a 25mm Plossl it was small but clear (28x) bumped up to a 10mm (70x) and things looked a little better. I do need to do some work to this mount to tighten it up a bit but I think I can do that without too much effort. Overall, it's in nice condition and will perform as it was intended.

Pages: 1

Extra information
23 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1463

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics