Observing >> Solar Observing and Imaging

Pages: 1
jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Solar Imaging with planetary on the side new
      #5649531 - 01/28/13 11:56 PM

I'd like to start doing a little imaging. Our solar system only. Does anyone have a good mono camera they do solar and planetary imaging with that wont break the bank? I've seen a Point Grey Chameleon 1.3 MP for $250, but from what I read it doesn't do planetary very well. I read a little that the DMK31 is a good in between camera for both my targets. At $630 I'd like to know for sure that it does both well enough I wouldn't be disappointing. I'll have to pick up a filter wheel or something too. No research done on that one yet. The laptop I'd be using is USB2.0 only. I'm also not opposed to having 2 cameras that would total around what the dmk31 costs if that's a better route.

Solar is my main focus because it changes more than Saturn and Jupiter do, but it's just one of those things where I'd like to do both if I could. This hobby doesn't always like to share equipment like I wish it would, but it's worth a shot, right?

My solar scope is a double stacked lunt 60mm B1200. My night time scope is a CPC1100 if that makes a difference.

Always appreciate your input.
Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mhilscher

Reged: 07/13/11

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Re: Solar Imaging with planetary on the side new [Re: jerwin]
      #5650226 - 01/29/13 12:39 PM

I have the exact same set up as you, and was wondering the same thing, oh i have a nice AMD bracket that allows me to put the Lunt on the cpc quickly, for tracking, and white light comparisons.
matthew

rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5650328 - 01/29/13 01:31 PM

I have the DMK31 and really like it. I'm not very accomplished at planetary due to the size of my scope (6" LS) but here are some examples of the sun and Jupiter that I have done with the DMK31. I use an Orion manual filter wheel with Astrodon RGB filters.

I would think you would do well with that CPC1100 on the planets with this camera! There are additional images and videos of the sun on my Astrobin site.

Edited by rigel123 (01/29/13 01:34 PM)

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Solar Imaging with planetary on the side new [Re: rigel123]
      #5650489 - 01/29/13 02:54 PM

Thanks Warren

Jim

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

#5650863 - 01/29/13 06:11 PM

This post isn't getting as much attention as I had hoped.

I also saw today the dmk23g445 which looks to have similar specs to the DMK31AU03 but it connects via the Gigabit Ethernet port on the laptop. Not sure if anyone has used any GigE cameras yet.

If this post doesn't get any more play I might see if a moderator can punt it over to the Solar System Imaging forum. Solar was my main focus which is why I posted it here.

Thanks
Jim

BYoesle
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/12/04

Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA
      #5650898 - 01/29/13 06:32 PM

See:

http://www.rkblog.rk.edu.pl/w/p/new-solar-system-imaging-cameras-2013/

mhilscher

Reged: 07/13/11

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Re: Solar Imaging with planetary on the side new [Re: BYoesle]
      #5652133 - 01/30/13 11:46 AM

Great link to see the new products, thank you for sharing.
matthew

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Solar Imaging with planetary on the side new [Re: mhilscher]
      #5652882 - 01/30/13 06:00 PM

Side question, what mount do you guys use. I do some public outreach and even in my back yard I've been using at Celestron Nexstar 4/5se mount but I feel like it's pushing the 10lb limit of the mount. I want to keep my ability to track. I think I've seen some people comment that they use a CG-5. Can those be solar aligned during the day? I somewhat feel like a CG5 is a little much but I don't see much in the alt-az space that support a 15lb payload.

rigel123
Postmaster

#5653207 - 01/30/13 09:02 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

I use my Atlas simply because I also use it for Deep Sky imaging, and when I set up my dual OTA's it is more than up to the challenge of carrying the weight. I set up in the same spot most of the time and have spots for the feet of the tripod so it is close to polar aligned when I set it up. Then I do a "Star Align" and just tell the mount it is correct and this is good enough for tracking the sun for hours with minor adjustments.

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Solar Imaging with planetary on the side [Re: rigel123]
      #5653251 - 01/30/13 09:29 PM

So Warren, if you moved your scope during the day, say you took it to a hilltop for the transit of Mercury in 2016, would you have to just try to get the front leg as north as possible then manually align it on the sun and hope for the best or how would you go about setting it up during the day without your special spot?

thanks

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
      #5653292 - 01/30/13 09:57 PM

I use a CG5, aim the polar axis north and find it's good enough. Level the scope and don't adjust the altitude after your last alignment. It'll be good enough.

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Solar Imaging with planetary on the side new [Re: bunyon]
      #5653341 - 01/30/13 10:25 PM

Thanks Paul

rigel123
Postmaster

#5653365 - 01/30/13 10:41 PM

Quote:

So Warren, if you moved your scope during the day, say you took it to a hilltop for the transit of Mercury in 2016, would you have to just try to get the front leg as north as possible then manually align it on the sun and hope for the best or how would you go about setting it up during the day without your special spot?

thanks

I would be certain it is level and use a compass to get it close to pointing North. Make sure the Altitude is close to where it should be for my location using the markings on the mount and then do a one star alignment, again telling the mount it is centered and then slew to the sun. Actually, now that I think about it, I could skip the fake alignment and just slew to the sun if I feel my setup was fairly closely aligned to North and just start tracking. It's not like I have to worry about tracking accurately for 10 minute exposures!

Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Phillip Creed, nitegeezer 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 693

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics