Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DesertRat
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/18/06

Loc: Valley of the Sun
Re: Inspired by others - sixes new [Re: bunyon]
      #5653246 - 01/30/13 09:27 PM

Paul,

I think you meant to say "should not rotate much with respect to a stationary longitude scale". It would drift a little if you select a base of System 2, but not much over an hour or even more.

I am also convinced Darryl's image shows a hexagonal n pole. Pretty amazing. I just hope that CN posters understand its ok to ask questions and make suggestions. I know Darryl feels that way, we've helped each other for several years now. For example he was instrumental in my decision to switch to a Moonlite focusser which has helped me out significantly.

Glenn

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kokatha man
Postmaster

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...
Re: Inspired by others - sixes new [Re: DesertRat]
      #5653261 - 01/30/13 09:42 PM

Quote:

Paul,

I think you meant to say "should not rotate much with respect to a stationary longitude scale". It would drift a little if you select a base of System 2, but not much over an hour or even more.
I am also convinced Darryl's image shows a hexagonal n pole. Pretty amazing. I just hope that CN posters understand its ok to ask questions and make suggestions. I know Darryl feels that way, we've helped each other for several years now. For example he was instrumental in my decision to switch to a Moonlite focusser which has helped me out significantly.
Glenn

.....just seconding Glenn on the above Paul.....and if there's not at least one Devil's Advocate operating at any one time folks can get easily "carried away" at times!

Also, Glenn's comments to someone else just a couple of weeks or so ago had me realise why some of my 3X drizzle images out of AS!2 were coming out with weird little localised artefacts after wavelet applications in R6.....all because I hadn't checked that the "Settings" options weren't set for the largest processing area..!

But that aside I think your image shows the hexagonal outline of the NPZ clearly.....to me the animation "helps & doesn't" in ways but regardless you've nailed it imho.....but I won't let you make any prior claim - I won't - I won't - and I'm not sharing the prizemoney with Brian either, despite Glenn's suggestions!!!

I'm doing a repro with a MAPs box on the NPZ in AS!2 so I'll post them later today our time along with some more Polar maps...

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Inspired by others - sixes new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5653269 - 01/30/13 09:47 PM

Ha! Yes, I meant should NOT rotate with respect to longitude, or not much.

Darryl, I've been worried you'd think I was trying to one up you with this image. I've been kicking myself that I didn't think to do a polar projection when I took the image but, honestly, it never occured to me it was even possible. In any case, discovery isn't merely recording data - else Galileo discovered Uranus - but, rather, collecting the data and then analyzing it and correctly interpreting it. My data may have come earlier than yours but all the rest you got before me. And that is the hard bit.

So, I make no prior claim. If you hadn't made that image and projection, I would never have tried it.

Unless, of course, we're talking a LOT of prize money.

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Re: Inspired by others - sixes new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5653276 - 01/30/13 09:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Paul,

Glenn

.....just seconding Glenn on the above Paul.....and if there's not at least one Devil's Advocate operating at any one time folks can get easily "carried away" at times!

Also, Glenn's comments to someone else just a couple of weeks or so ago had me realise why some of my 3X drizzle images out of AS!2 were coming out with weird little localised artefacts after wavelet applications in R6.....all because I hadn't checked that the "Settings" options weren't set for the largest processing area..!

But that aside I think your image shows the hexagonal outline of the NPZ clearly.....to me the animation "helps & doesn't" in ways but regardless you've nailed it imho.....but I won't let you make any prior claim - I won't - I won't - and I'm not sharing the prizemoney with Brian either, despite Glenn's suggestions!!!

I'm doing a repro with a MAPs box on the NPZ in AS!2 so I'll post them later today our time along with some more Polar maps...

Clear Skies,
Brian

bunyon
Post Laureate

Re: Inspired by others - sixes [Re: BKBrown]
      #5653282 - 01/30/13 09:54 PM

I just want to know how he gets his little emoticon to have a light saber. That's cool.

wenjha
Vendor

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: SuZhou China
      #5653362 - 01/30/13 10:40 PM

the animation is fatanstic!
the hexagonal pole is very clear

Mike Phillips
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/06

Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78...
Re: Inspired by others - sixes new [Re: wenjha]
      #5654124 - 01/31/13 11:23 AM

Man I need to quit my job and read these posts full time. Anyone want to baby sit my 4 kids? Paul??? NO??

Anyway, I think I may see the hexagon.

Yes, I agree it's good to be skeptical, we are after all on the edge of science and hobby.

I don't know the rotation rates of the hexagon, does it even exist within one of the pre-defined systems.

I think it's also interesting that, if this is real, we would be observing something that was discovered by a spacecraft and before Cassini previously unknown!

Mike

ps I'll feed the kids before dropping them off!? No? Ok, bye

bunyon
Post Laureate

Re: Inspired by others - sixes new [Re: Mike Phillips]
      #5654137 - 01/31/13 11:26 AM

You can drop the kids off, Mike. My yard is fenced and we have blueberry bushes and squirrel so there is food.

All I could find is that it rotated at the same rate as the planet. But I haven't found which system it means. Maybe we can all work that out this year.

DesertRat
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/18/06

Loc: Valley of the Sun
      #5655001 - 01/31/13 08:23 PM

Mmmmm.. blueberries!

The pole should be close to System 3 in rotation rate. However I don't know enough about the hexagonal structure, it might have an entirely different dynamic. One thing is for sure, its amazing.

Glenn

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1127

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics