Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1
Heitman
sage

Reged: 01/26/07

Loc: Reeds, NC
Denkmeier Hi-Def UHC Filter?
      #5653334 - 01/30/13 10:23 PM

Hi,
I've been doing a lot of searching and reading on the various UHC Narrow-band filters, and was curious if anyone has firsthand experience with the Denkmeier Hi-Def UHC Narrow-band filter. Thanks, Tim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Denkmeier Hi-Def UHC Filter? new [Re: Heitman]
      #5653533 - 01/31/13 02:08 AM

OK, the specs sheet shows a filter bandwidth (Full Width at Half Maximum) of about 397 angstroms which is a little too broad to make a good narrow-band nebula filter. It also shows a peak transmission of 100% which might be stretching believability a little, as most quality production interference filters with this kind of bandwidth rarely have peak transmissions much higher than 97%. It is a "compromise" filter with a bandwidth between that of a broad-band LPR filter and a narrow-band nebula filter. In short, it is a "jack of all trades, master of none" when it comes to a filter for deep-sky objects. It will dim continuum objects like star clusters and galaxies more than the broad-band LPR filters do. It would work on emission nebulae to some degree, but won't quite provide as much of a contrast boost as a true narrow-band nebula filter like the DGM Optics NPB, Orion Ultrablock, or the Lumicon UHC filter (the "true" UHC filter). If you want a good nebula filter, I would recommend the DGM NPB, Orion Ultrablock, or Lumicon UHC as better alternatives. Clear skies to you.

Heitman
sage

Reged: 01/26/07

Loc: Reeds, NC
Re: Denkmeier Hi-Def UHC Filter? new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5653759 - 01/31/13 07:51 AM

Thanks David. I looked at the spec sheet also, and it seemed a little wide to me. Just curious what others think about it.
Tim

Pages: 1

Extra information
14 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 612

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics