Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1
stkoepke
sage

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Abilene, Texas
Warm room size
      #5653446 - 01/30/13 11:55 PM Attachment (35 downloads)

The build is getting closer to starting, fingers crossed...
Anyways, I'm just curious, what size warm room do you have or would you want to have?

Is it the right size you need or do you wish it was a different size - either smaller or bigger?
Also, what side did you put it on and why?

My scope room will be 10' x 10' but I'm trying to decide between 6' or 8' x 10' warm room. I can build up to 200 sq feet without a permit. I have been thinking 6' x 10' would be a comfortable size but...

I'm considering putting it on the E side to keep it out of the summertime late afternoon sun. Cools quicker, less thermals later.
Especially since I have a couple of sheds to look over already. Any thermals avoided the better IMO.

Latest layout ideas, still deciding where to put several smaller things like the scope racks, monitor placement in the scope room - for when I'm doing digital/video assisted lunar viewing.

Each square is 3"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
1965healy
The Snarkster

Reged: 06/23/07

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Warm room size new [Re: stkoepke]
      #5653976 - 01/31/13 10:04 AM

Most folks will tell you the bigger the better and I have to agree. You will find the space fills up quickly and if you're not careful it can quickly become an astronomy "junk drawer". Keep it well organized with some shelves, a work surface and a comfortable chair/stool.

jazle

Reged: 05/20/10

Loc: California, USA
Re: Warm room size new [Re: 1965healy]
      #5654364 - 01/31/13 01:46 PM

I'm restricted to 120 sq-ft without a permit (although, now that I'm going through the permitting process post-construction-start, I would have built it bigger). So, my warming room is a bit smaller -- about 4.5' x 7' of actual floor space. I certainly would like to have it bigger since there will be times when myself and a couple of friends will be imaging all night and it would be nice for all of us to have a warm place to kick back. Even by myself, it will be challenging finding a place to get some Z's with the computer desk and chair in the way.

I think about a third of the total observatory is a good size, so you are on the right track.

I assume you'll be running a heater in the warm room during chilly nights. Many people overlook the effects of thermal currents from the warm room itself. I'd be concerned about the pocket door (or any interior door) letting high through. I went with an insulated exterior door and window and fully insulated the warming room from the rest of the building.

Having a swinging exterior door, however, does require some careful placement. I ended up putting it off to the far side of the dividing wall and then angled it in about 8" on one side with the hinges closest to the side wall. It opens out, but the radius should clear any scope position.

1965healy
The Snarkster

Reged: 06/23/07

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Warm room size new [Re: jazle]
      #5654408 - 01/31/13 02:14 PM

There's always this as an option
http://www.appliancesconnection.com/i223062-coaster-2209.html?ref=froogle#qui...

theflop

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: Ortonville, MI
Re: Warm room size new [Re: 1965healy]
      #5655552 - 02/01/13 03:56 AM

My warm room is 7.5'x10' and my open-air telescope room is 8.5'x10' (minus wall thickness). Total roll-off building size outside is 10'x16'. My PC desk alone is 26"x60". I would not like my warm room any smaller. It is a perfect size! Remember, you'll be spending many hours in it. Once you add a PC desk and other items it gets small very quick. Go for the maximum size. Because we are dealing with a small area the costs shouldn't be that much more. My space heater handles is easily. GO AS BIG as you can, you won't regret it!

avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/09

Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA
Re: Warm room size new [Re: theflop]
      #5682482 - 02/15/13 10:26 PM

May I ask you a question: what is the perpose of this warm room? If it is only to watch imaging process, then you can do this from home remotely. Instead of warm room, allocate space for another scope so you can observe visually while imaging.
Alex

Orion58
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/28/11

Loc: Southern Wisconsin
Re: Warm room size new [Re: stkoepke]
      #5683234 - 02/16/13 11:03 AM

I would recommend 8 x 10. Mine is 8 x 12 and I'm glad I didn't go any smaller. I have a cot in mine as I choose to stay with my imaging equipment so obviously the cot takes up a good chunk of the floor space.

Good luck with your observatory planning/construction.

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Warm room size new [Re: Orion58]
      #5683606 - 02/16/13 02:11 PM

My observatory is on a 12 x 18 pad. 6 x 12' warm room is tight with my work counter and wall cabinets. Definitely a one person room. I wish it was at least 2-4' more so I cold put a small couch or lazyboy.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Warm room size new [Re: DeanS]
      #5684756 - 02/17/13 08:38 AM

I like the Queen Anne Recliner! My warm room is 12x9 once it's finished. My observatory is only 15 Ft from the house, but if I were to go in, I may not come back out again. I figured if it's comfortable enough to stay out there, there's more time spent at it :-) my scope room is 12x10, plenty of room to setup a portable pier for visuals while the main rig is seup for AP.

MHamburg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/21/06

Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA
      #5686928 - 02/18/13 12:37 PM

Jazle---Do you have a photo of your door arrangement? I am in the process of designing my own warm room to add onto my obs. Thanks.
Michael

jazle

Re: Warm room size new [Re: MHamburg]
      #5691504 - 02/20/13 06:38 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

Quote:

Jazle---Do you have a photo of your door arrangement? I am in the process of designing my own warm room to add onto my obs. Thanks.
Michael

I'm still building it and haven't installed the door yet -- it is framed at this point though. I'll do a quick bitmap.

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

#5691507 - 02/20/13 06:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Michael

I'm still building it and haven't installed the door yet -- it is framed at this point though. I'll do a quick bitmap.

A pocket door between the warm room and the observatory could save valuable floor space.

Bob Moore
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/07/06

Loc: New York
Re: Warm room size new [Re: JJK]
      #5692025 - 02/21/13 12:03 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

Here is the first draft of our newest one

Bob Moore
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/07/06

Loc: New York
Re: Warm room size new [Re: Bob Moore]
      #5692039 - 02/21/13 12:13 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

And here is the competed project

ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

Re: Warm room size new [Re: Bob Moore]
      #5692260 - 02/21/13 06:59 AM

The warm room in my mobile observatory is 8.5'x10' with a 2' deep V section in the from, I built shelves to make the V usable.

Actually, I thought the room would be small, but, very usable. Granted, it is a mobile observatory so not many options on size. I am not sure I would make it much bigger if it was a stationary observatory. Cheap to heat/cool.

Tony

jazle

Re: Warm room size new [Re: JJK]
      #5693074 - 02/21/13 04:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Michael

A pocket door between the warm room and the observatory could save valuable floor space.

A pocket door wasn't an option since I only had a 7' of wall space and wanted a window as well. Plus, you can't easily insulate a pocket door if you want to keep the warm room warm without letting out thermal currents that would affect imaging/observing over the warm room.

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
      #5693167 - 02/21/13 05:17 PM

My warm room is 6x10. Big enough for a guest or two while imaging or thawing from using the dob

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1591

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics