Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: aztrodog]
      #5746015 - 03/20/13 07:13 PM

Quote:

Hey, now that I have wheels on the AP we can have a telescope race like the bed races in Coconut Grove

Sounds like a plan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
plav1959
sage

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: Central Florida
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: crazyqban]
      #5746192 - 03/20/13 08:35 PM

Sorry Angel but the fat tires and fancy rims on Sergio's Starstructure will leave you in the dust!

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

#5746331 - 03/20/13 09:23 PM

Quote:

Sergio has a superb 16" Zambuto dob and while there is no substitute for aperture I was quite surprised (aside from image scale) at how well the 7" refractor kept up with the dob on most objects.

Quote:

Kidding aside, comparing two very different scopes on any given night is meaningless. Refractors yield very high contrast images which is what allowed it to do as well as it did. For instance we looked at M1 and it was very close (aside from image scale) to the Zambuto. M81 and M82 was gorgeous in the same field of an 31 Nagler. 50 feet away the Zambuto was showing awesome detail in the core of M82 due to its larger aperture. Sergio's scope also gave us great views of the Horsehead and Thor's helmet.

I would not rank one scope as better than the other, just a different visual experience.

Actually that is a meaningful comparison, thanks.

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/10

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: mark8888]
      #5761277 - 03/27/13 08:48 PM Attachment (72 downloads)

The last two Astrofests in Kankakee I was priviledged to look thru an old 1987 6" AP f/12 Superplanetary and no telescope has beaten the views of Neptune in that thing. It makes our club's 12" SCT in our observatory seem like junk.

From what I've been told AP has only improved their optics over the years and I can't see how anything could be an improvement over the scope I looked thru. Astro Physics in my opinion is the closest thing to perfection.

I was lucky to buy my 6" AP for a song last year but my eye's were really bad until my heart surgery corrected the problem of high blood pressure and blood vessels bursting.

I saw one of these beautiful scopes at NEAIC last year and the folks at AP were very friendly.

Mark

Paul Hyndman
sage

Reged: 07/13/04

Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA
      #5764218 - 03/29/13 10:58 AM

Quote:

Love the AP175, hate moving its bulky case around. Here is my solution in case anybody is interested:

- Two Penn-Elcom W8375K outriggers about $40 shipped.

Angel

Thanks for the great suggestion, Angel!

I plan to plonk them on two of my larger AP cases, and was pleasantly surprised to find the shipping charges are waived for orders exceeding $50 (the extra set brought the tab to just over $50; only ten bucks more to add the second set... WooHoo!)

timmbottoni
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/25/05

Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: crazyqban]
      #5764558 - 03/29/13 12:31 PM

Amazing telescope - great pictures!

Enjoy!!!

Timm

Neptune

Reged: 04/16/07

Loc: Arizona
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Darren Drake]
      #6211026 - 11/23/13 10:26 AM

I just received scope number 52. It was a very long wait but worth every minute. I think I was the last one to get one of these incredible scopes. I'm not saying 52 was the last to be produced (I heard AP does not always ship numerically), just saying I just got mine this past Thursday. It is very intimadating...
David

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Neptune]
      #6211100 - 11/23/13 11:01 AM

Borrow someone's 180 f/9 EDT for a while. The 175 f/8 will seem easier and a 155 f/7 will almost feel like an AP Traveler.

Be sure to leave your shirt out over your belt buckle to avoid scratching the OTA's paint. Also watch out for jacket zippers.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: JJK]
      #6211320 - 11/23/13 12:42 PM

And take off any rings on your fingers. I always take off my wedding band because it takes a tight grip and I'm afraid of scratching the OTA.

It's an amazing telescope. You will now be spoiled to other telescopes.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #6211642 - 11/23/13 03:35 PM

Quote:

And take off any rings on your fingers. I always take off my wedding band because it takes a tight grip and I'm afraid of scratching the OTA.

It's an amazing telescope. You will now be spoiled to other telescopes.

Rings, watch, zippers, rivets on jeans, et. I'm the same way and protect my scopes with extreme diligence. My WO scopes still look new after many years of use. I would be super vigilant if I had a AP scope in my arsenal.

steven40

Reged: 02/01/12

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: SteveG]
      #6211805 - 11/23/13 05:24 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

That's so funny! I secretly believed I was the only one to do this stuff when handling my 160 and 130GT. But after 35 years and putting on "some" additional weight, the only way I can get the wedding ring off is to cut it off.

Hmmmmm.....

Steve

Joe C
sage

Reged: 11/29/08

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: steven40]
      #6212181 - 11/23/13 08:54 PM

Congratulations!!! I am still wowed every time I use mine. It is truly a lifetime scope. Make sure you share it with others as the ooohs and aaaahs add to the enjoyment as well support the artists wishes to put these out to those that will appreciate real art.

Edited by Joe C (11/25/13 01:07 AM)

Neptune

#6212897 - 11/24/13 10:04 AM

Thanks guys for the tips! I am so worried about scratching the thing, or worse yet, dropping it! It's pouring rain here, so no first light, plus I need to get a dovetail plate in order to mount it. OK, so now the questions... I have a CGE for now (strickly visual) what length dovetail plate would be ideal? The plate will have to be a Losmandy (4" wide) style. I've been told anything from 16 to 24 inches long.

Is it me or is the 175 so much larger than a 160? I saw some pic's on the web that compares the two, but seems to me the 175 is freek'in huge. That being said, I was comming from a TEC140.

Plus, what happened to the cheaper corner castors? I can see these being in my future! The link is not valid anyore?

David

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

#6213508 - 11/24/13 03:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys for the tips! I am so worried about scratching the thing, or worse yet, dropping it! It's pouring rain here, so no first light, plus I need to get a dovetail plate in order to mount it. OK, so now the questions... I have a CGE for now (strickly visual) what length dovetail plate would be ideal? The plate will have to be a Losmandy (4" wide) style. I've been told anything from 16 to 24 inches long.

Is it me or is the 175 so much larger than a 160? I saw some pic's on the web that compares the two, but seems to me the 175 is freek'in huge. That being said, I was comming from a TEC140.

Plus, what happened to the cheaper corner castors? I can see these being in my future! The link is not valid anyore?

David

The AP175EDF is a monster when compared to the TEC 140. Heck, the AP175EDF is still a monster when compared to the AP155EDF! Don't know about the AP160, since I don't have one.
"Strickly"? Would that be "strictly" visual? I use a 16" plate and it is more than sufficient for visual or imaging, a 24 inch is definitely overkill. I suspect a 12 inch plate would be sufficient other than being restrictive on being able to have room to slide the dovetail plate in the saddle for balancing.

steven40

Reged: 02/01/12

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Joe C]
      #6213737 - 11/24/13 06:01 PM

Thanks Joe,

I do really enjoy sharing views with my friends. Normally I have a C11 side-by-side with the 160; put the 130 on for a photo op!

Originally I'd hoped to use the 130 as a travel scope; maybe on a Losmandy G11 (visual use only). It's starting to look like (for various reasons) that isn't going to pan out.

So I'm considering keeping the 160 in my roll-off obs, and letting the 130GT go.

Sorry for the OT.

Steve

Neptune

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: M13 Observer]
      #6213905 - 11/24/13 07:30 PM

I guess I should have said only visual no imaging. I was thinking of a Losmandy DUP plate. It's 14" long 3/4 thick and weights about 2.4 lbs.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
      #6213922 - 11/24/13 07:43 PM

Why not Astro Physics 16 inch dovetail plate (SBD16)?

It's what I use and it's just like everything AP makes.....excellent quality.

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #6214110 - 11/24/13 09:32 PM

The SBD16 is nice... perfect with the 175

Joe C
sage

Reged: 11/29/08

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Mike Clemens]
      #6214233 - 11/24/13 11:03 PM

The only question I have seen come up is that of the width of the SBD16 and will it fit in a CGE. I agree they are the best. I have 2. Originally I had 2 of the new Losmandy styles and they worked fine as they are MUCH thicker than the original version. I just preferred the AP version.

Since I no longer have the Losmandy dovetails, I do not have one to measure. If both are the same width and you have neither, I say spend the few extra dollars and get the SBD16.

Neptune

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Joe C]
      #6214274 - 11/24/13 11:35 PM

The AP SBD is 5" wide, the Losmandy DUP is the standard 4" wide. The AP will not fit the CGE mount. I know I would love to get an AP mount, but I have to pay off the 175EDF first! The CGE may be pushed to the limit, I'll have to wait and see.

Again, does anyone know what happened to the cheaper castors???

David

Edited by Neptune (11/25/13 12:04 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
33 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8896

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics