Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Miami, Florida
First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF
      #5653597 - 01/31/13 04:30 AM Attachment (579 downloads)

I wish that this was a first light report of MY AP 175 EDF but instead it is of my friend's AP 175 EDF that was just delivered Monday, Jan 28. He does not have an account here on Cloudy Nights (not sure why he does not) so he told me to go ahead and post a report if I wanted. The scope is very imposing and impressive. The scope is mounted on an AP 900 mount and you know that it means business just by looking at it. The seeing conditions here in Miami, Florida today were not all that great since a cold front is starting to work its way down. We observed Jupiter, Sirius, M42, M31, M46, M47, M41, NGC 869/884 & NGC 457. This was just a quick first light and not a very involved session since my friend was sick as dog, had to get some work done at home, we were observing in Greater Miami and the incoming cold front. The best object of the night was Jupiter at the beginning of our session, we were observing it with Mark V binoviewers and various eyepiece pairs (Naglers & Zeiss Abbe IIs). The views were crisp, sharp and full of contrasty detail. My only complaint is the the binos were about 2 feet off of the ground since Jupiter was at zenith. M31 was very disappointing because it was very dim due to the light pollution. I am sure the in a dark site this will be a view to behold!!! This was also the case for M42 and the dimmer star clusters. The brighter star cluster were very enjoyable and we were able to see Sirius B even though the seeing was not very good. All in all an amazing scope both visually and mechanically. Astro-Physics's 4 inch focuser is a pure joy to use. It is beefy and works flawlessly. I cannot wait until we take this puppy out to the Everglades and get it to perform under some dark skies.

Photo #1, Angel the proud papa and his new addition to the family.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: crazyqban]
      #5653599 - 01/31/13 04:31 AM Attachment (384 downloads)

Photo #2 - my friend Maykel and Angel's new baby

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5653600 - 01/31/13 04:32 AM Attachment (358 downloads)

Photo #3 - The Crazyqban & the Beast

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

#5653608 - 01/31/13 04:55 AM

Trips to a dark sky site will be highly rewarding with that telescope. At the Cherry Springs park (Black Forest Star Party Site), mine nearly kept up with a Tak Mewlon 300 on many faint fuzzies (to be sure, there was a difference in the limiting magnitudes, but not as much as I thought there'd be). The brighter DSOs were pure eye candy. M42, which was about 38 * off the horizon, offered a high contrast and nearly 3-dimensional appearance.

The Swan nebula displayed a detail-ridden bright body contrasting the charcoal black space at the neck - a truly stunning site. That same object obviously looked much brighter in John Vogt's 32" Dob-Newt (in his wonderful scope, the object looked brighter and nearly fluorescent) but the contrast between the darkest and brightest portions of the Swan seemed reasonably similar.

Jupiter was magnificent, with pure white bands contrasting slate blue, brown, and orange features. I was fortunate that the seeing was really good for about an hour and a half. You guys should really take advantage of the better seeing in FL and the higher placement of Jupiter in the sky.

Enjoy the scope!

Edited by JJK (01/31/13 05:03 AM)

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: JJK]
      #5653652 - 01/31/13 06:10 AM

Nice report Sergio you lucky dog! Your friend needs to add an extension to his mount.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5653666 - 01/31/13 06:29 AM

Tell me about it, I had to get on my side on the floor to view Jupiter!!!

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5653769 - 01/31/13 08:06 AM

Sergio, nothing wrong with piggy backing off someone elses good fortune! My largest instrument views have been through others scopes as well. Luke Legee and I attended a local summer seminar. It was first light of his TEC 180FL that night. I pushed him out of the way and looked through it more than he did!!!

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: t.r.]
      #5653776 - 01/31/13 08:11 AM

Luke is a good guy!

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
      #5653779 - 01/31/13 08:14 AM

Great scope Sergio! Enjoy the views!

R Botero
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Kent, England
      #5653799 - 01/31/13 08:33 AM

Great new scope! Make sure you keep that friend - Sergio!

I know what you say about the 4" focuser being a joy to use. My AP152 EDF is 22 years old and its 4" focuser is as smooth as butter - fantastic craftsmanship.

Paul Hyndman
sage

Reged: 07/13/04

Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: R Botero]
      #5653825 - 01/31/13 08:47 AM

Nice report, Sergio... but just WAIT until you guys put that puppy to work under some stable dark skies: wow-a-ka-zowwa ka-bam!

Enjoy!

Paul

Madratter
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/13

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: R Botero]
      #5653840 - 01/31/13 08:53 AM

I've never looked through one of their 175s, but I have observed with one of the 6" Starfires. While it wasn't the best planetary views I have ever had (that was through my 20"), the views were absolutely stunning and the mechanicals were great. I would absolutely love to have one. A seven inch version would be awesome! Enjoy using it.

Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/02

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Madratter]
      #5653865 - 01/31/13 09:08 AM

Are there many 175s left to be delivered? I heard somewhere that AP may soon stop offering the bigger apos and only make the smaller ones...

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Darren Drake]
      #5653897 - 01/31/13 09:26 AM

Oh, this is it for the large apos. The glass for these 175's is from old stock Roland had. TEC is able to get large blanks still, but it is becoming less likely that these large sizes will be produced much longer. Yuri has stated that the rejection rate is getting higher with each glass shipment he receives.

vahe
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/27/05

Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: t.r.]
      #5654050 - 01/31/13 10:41 AM

Quote:

Yuri has stated that the rejection rate is getting higher with each glass shipment he receives.

TEC is making 180s at this time and there is also word on restarting 200FLs using different glasses.
Check out tec-ug Posts # 23384 & #23391.

Vahe

Scott in NCModerator
Mad Hatter

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: vahe]
      #5654175 - 01/31/13 11:45 AM

Wow that's huge! I enjoyed reading your report--you're a lucky guy. I wonder if I could talk any of my friends into buying an AP175? That might actually be preferable to owning one myself (as I wouldn't have to worry about it, someone else could set it up for me, someone else could explain to their spouse why they spent so much money on a scope, etc., etc.).

Joe C
sage

Reged: 11/29/08

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5654229 - 01/31/13 12:22 PM

Great first light report Sergio.

Darren, I know of at least one person waiting on their 175. But from what I have seen reports on, there are not many are remaining to be delivered.

Scott, there are no more AP175's left to be had. The production run has been filled and it appears there will be no more in the future. However, you never know what Roland has in in old stock ready for something bigger.

vahe
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/27/05

Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Joe C]
      #5654283 - 01/31/13 01:00 PM

When AP announced lottery for the last remaining 175s I gave it a serious thought but at the end decided not to participate for two reasons:

1 -I have a 155 F/9EDT with refigured optics, I am strictly visual and this scope offers spectacular performance for its aperture, but paying nearly $17,000 extra for 20mm increase in aperture just did not make sense to me.

And,

2 - In the last fifteen years anything that I tried to purchase from AP ended up going to someone else, no complains here, that is just my luck so why bother?

Vahe

Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: vahe]
      #5654318 - 01/31/13 01:23 PM

Vahe,
To put in in perspective if you subtract the leftover aperture of a 175 mm has over a 155mm and make a scope out of it it would only be an 81mm scope. So the 175mm has the aperture of that of a 155mm plus an 81mm. Good decision not to shell out the extra huge amount of $. Most 80mm apos are only about $500.

Edited by Darren Drake (01/31/13 01:26 PM)

Tank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/27/09

Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA
      #5654353 - 01/31/13 01:42 PM

Sergio
Nice scope!
Wonder how the 16" Zambuto would stack up against it in great seeing on Jupiter?
Enjoy

Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Tank]
      #5654357 - 01/31/13 01:44 PM

Quote:

Sergio
Nice scope!
Wonder how the 16" Zambuto would stack up against it in great seeing on Jupiter?
Enjoy

Would be fun but no contest. I've done those to many times and the laws of physics always wins out...

Dwight56

Reged: 04/17/10

#5654379 - 01/31/13 01:55 PM

A great place to go with this 175 since your in Miami would be the Winter Star Party in the Key's. If your friend has a DSLR it would be fun to do some Astro Photography with this AP. I've had my AP 175 only to the Wickenburg Star party last Nov and Jan and I've started the beginnings of my M31 with my Hutech Modified 60D got some more work to be done before I can assemble a complete picture. I can tell you this is going to be a fun scope to take to really dark skies and with really good seeing the planets are fun to observe with this instrument. BTW what is the serial number on the lens.

Edited by Dwight56 (01/31/13 02:45 PM)

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
      #5654452 - 01/31/13 02:41 PM

Was that Angel Gomez and his new AP 175? I have delt with him on AM and by phone and he is a real nice guy. Would love to have some observing time with that AP scope!

Bill

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #5655056 - 01/31/13 08:51 PM

Bill, yes, that is Mr. Gomez.

Dwight, believe it or not, my friend is strictly visual guy and he does not plan to do any astrophotography with his scope. Also, since he is only able to go to the WSP for one night, he is not going to take a scope.

Tank - That will be fun and it is definitely something that we have discussed.

Mike Harden
Vendor - ISTAR Optical

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Fort Myers, Florida
      #5655200 - 01/31/13 10:24 PM

Sergio, ready for the WSP? Can't wait! Only 4 more days. See you there Buddy!

Mike

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Mike Harden]
      #5655288 - 01/31/13 11:13 PM

Very ready Mike, I will be there Monday, Tuesday, Friday & Saturday. Gotta head back to Miami on Wed & Thurs. See you there

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

#5658280 - 02/02/13 02:36 PM

Sergio,

How far/long of a drive is it from Miami to Key West? Is the WSP near Key West?

Bill

Julio
sage

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: Pembroke Pines ,FL
      #5658470 - 02/02/13 04:43 PM

Awesome setup, i live in West Pembroke Pines and the skies are a bit darker up here. But really the best place is off alligator alley, nice and dark!

Mike Harden
Vendor - ISTAR Optical

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Fort Myers, Florida
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Julio]
      #5658616 - 02/02/13 05:57 PM

Hey Bill, The drive for Sergio is only about an hour and 45 minutes. The WSP is west of Marathon on the other side of 7 mile bridge. You would say the middle keys still a good distance from Key West. Dark and very steady skies. About 4 to 5 hours for me coming from Fort Myers.
Mike

northernontario
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/01/09

Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Mike Harden]
      #5658668 - 02/02/13 06:19 PM

That's a huge telescope....

and you are wearing shorts and sandles......

jake

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: northernontario]
      #5658792 - 02/02/13 07:44 PM

> and you are wearing shorts and sandles......

I know... wth... it can be dark, OR, you can wear shorts and sandles, but it can not be dark AND you wear shorts and sandles.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Mike Clemens]
      #5658820 - 02/02/13 08:02 PM Attachment (65 downloads)

Hi Bill, like Mike said. Here is a map to give you a better idea...

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5658823 - 02/02/13 08:03 PM

The distances are not long but the speed limits are slow and STRICTLY ENFORCED!!!

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5658835 - 02/02/13 08:07 PM

Quote:

> and you are wearing shorts and sandles......

I know... wth... it can be dark, OR, you can wear shorts and sandles, but it can not be dark AND you wear shorts and sandles.

That was just for a quick peek. One of my dark sites, Anne's Beach, in Islamorada, I would not only be wearing shrots and sandles but observing right on the beach and have pizza delivered!!! Oh of course, this is all after I stuffed my face with stone crabs!!! LOL!!! It's a rough life but someone's gotta live it.

Paul Hyndman
sage

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Julio]
      #5658867 - 02/02/13 08:27 PM

Quote:

..But really the best place is off alligator alley, nice and dark!

A chill runs up my spine when I think of being at a dark location that goes by the name "alligator alley"!

Years ago while having the pleasure of visiting David and Wendee Levy in Arizona, I noticed some chicken-wire like fencing running behind the house. I asked if it was to protect a garden from varmints, and he responded without missing a beat "Nope, its to keep scorpions out of the observing area". Double yikes!

Maybe I'm just a wuss, but now consider myself fortunate to share my backyard observing area with nothing more intimidating than the occasional raccoon, skunk, or flatulent deer!

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Paul Hyndman]
      #5658912 - 02/02/13 08:53 PM

Paul, it's not as bad as it sounds. I have observed at a place called Area 51 which is right off of Alligator Alley and has a canal running next to it. In the canal you can see alligators poking their heads out but they really don't bother anyone. Of all of my observing experiences in wild Florida locations, I have not had any issues with wildlife whatsoever. The only animal that concerns me is if I would run into a raccoon with rabies.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: northernontario]
      #5660105 - 02/03/13 02:32 PM

You think so, eh?

I'll try and get you a shot of an Astro-Physics 206mm in action. There will be one in these parts shortly. The 175mm looks big enough. I can only imagine how huge the 206mm will be.

Even the 175mm, though, is too big for routine travel, IMO. Love these big scopes, but over 6" for me begs for a permanent installation - or a kayak rack on top of the car and missle nose-cone shaped dust caps.

One day I'll have an observatory...*sigh* Until then, I'll admire folks with more gumption than I have for transporting truly large refractors.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (02/03/13 02:39 PM)

junomike
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5660281 - 02/03/13 04:19 PM

Jim, The 206mm seems quite un-photogenic. I was curious after your post, but could only find one with a person in the pic as reference. Second pic from the bottom!

Mike

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: junomike]
      #5660682 - 02/03/13 08:39 PM Attachment (115 downloads)

Quote:

Jim, The 206mm seems quite un-photogenic. I was curious after your post, but could only find one with a person in the pic as reference. Second pic from the bottom!

Mike

Here's Marty's 206 on the showroom floor at Company 7. I'm 6' 2" for reference, it's definitely a two person setup and takedown scope.

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

#5661156 - 02/04/13 06:03 AM

Quote:

You think so, eh?

I'll try and get you a shot of an Astro-Physics 206mm in action. There will be one in these parts shortly. The 175mm looks big enough. I can only imagine how huge the 206mm will be.

Even the 175mm, though, is too big for routine travel, IMO. Love these big scopes, but over 6" for me begs for a permanent installation - or a kayak rack on top of the car and missle nose-cone shaped dust caps.

One day I'll have an observatory...*sigh* Until then, I'll admire folks with more gumption than I have for transporting truly large refractors.

Regards,

Jim

I have the 175 f/8. It never complains about traveling in my station wagon.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5661396 - 02/04/13 09:52 AM

I have dearly enjoyed the views is my little AP 130 EDFGT I waited 9 years for. I have only seen the AP 175 when Roland had it on display at NEAF and at ASAE. He wasn't giving out views at either event- NEAF due to a history of lousy seeing (which Markus was unfortunately able to verify) and at ASAE they had a compressed schedule. He claimed it had better color correction than the current 130, which is quite a claim.

My old Ford Bronco was going to go to help fund it if I had been picked up on the lottery.

Thank you for reporting on viewing with it. It is good to see it has an owner who supports AP's vision such instruments need to get used.

As for observing in the Keys, Marathon, half way down the string, has seemed to me to be a really good place for a star party. Key West is very touristy in comparison. And Marathon is a much shorter drive.

-Rich

Paul G
Post Laureate

#5661407 - 02/04/13 09:58 AM

Quote:

You think so, eh?

Regards,

Jim

The 175 fits in my wife's SUV without any problems, but it is the largest scope I would feel comfortable setting up by myself.

Paul Hyndman
sage

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Paul G]
      #5661591 - 02/04/13 11:38 AM Attachment (112 downloads)

Quote:

... One day I'll have an observatory...*sigh*

Jim,

For years, this had been the basis of my "observatory", though eventually "upgraded" with a canvas sailcloth covering in lieu of Hefty Bags... oh the ignominy!

Though now more able to acquire heavy-weight gear, I'm increasingly less enthusiastic to schlep it around.

Paul

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

#5661893 - 02/04/13 02:23 PM

Sergio and Mike,

Thanks for the helpful information. Maybe some day I will get to come down to the WSP..probably after I retire in about 4 years.

Bill

peleuba
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/01/04

Loc: Southern PA
      #5663792 - 02/05/13 03:37 PM

Quote:

:

The 175 fits in my wife's SUV without any problems, but it is the largest scope I would feel comfortable setting up by myself.

Why on Earth set it up by yourself?! I could be in your neck of the woods in a couple of hours to help you set the scope and mount up! I'd probably buy dinner, too.

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: peleuba]
      #5664239 - 02/05/13 07:49 PM

Nice photos guys, thanks for posting, always enjoy hearing about the views through one of these beauties. I am also 100% visual, the longer focal ratio of the AP 160 and 175's are great for us.

Sergio I'm glad to see that your friend knows how to dress for Astro-Physics viewing - I know I always go with AT LEAST business casual for my sessions

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

#5665187 - 02/06/13 12:48 PM

Any serial numbers of these latest 175 OTA's? Anyone know for sure if the production is complete?

Just wondering.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: M13 Observer]
      #5665198 - 02/06/13 12:52 PM

Production is not complete, there are still some waiting on theirs.

Joe C
sage

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5665357 - 02/06/13 02:09 PM

I can confirm that production has not been completed. It will be at least a few more weeks.

Dwight56

#5688638 - 02/19/13 10:45 AM

Looks like 5 more AP 175's are being delivered over the original allotment. I hope to see pictures and stories soon an CN

aztrodog

Reged: 09/06/10

Loc: South Florida
Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Dwight56]
      #5743500 - 03/19/13 05:20 PM Attachment (117 downloads)

Hello,

Love the AP175, hate moving its bulky case around. Here is my solution in case anybody is interested:

- Two Penn-Elcom W8375K outriggers about $40 shipped.

Happy to report that after a few weeks of usage it works extremely well.

Regards,

Angel

aztrodog

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: aztrodog]
      #5743506 - 03/19/13 05:25 PM Attachment (101 downloads)

Here is another photo.

Angel

Paul G
Post Laureate

#5743538 - 03/19/13 05:41 PM

Great idea. The case is a beast for one person.

Joe C
sage

#5743678 - 03/19/13 06:35 PM

Thanks for posting Angel. I just ordered a set. They should be here about the same time my 175 arrives. I was not looking forward to lugging the case and scope by myself.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5743811 - 03/19/13 07:20 PM

Very nice! I wonder if there is something similar but a bit larger for a dob. With those I could just tilt the whole scope up and go without having to attach wheelbarrow handles with huge tires.

Here's a $12.72 version with roller blade wheels btw...

aztrodog

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5743969 - 03/19/13 08:47 PM

Johnny - Those are it, $12.72 x 2 + $13.44 shipping to Florida. I did look for something a little larger, but came up empty.

Joe - Congratulations on your scope and looking forward to a first light report. Now that the mobility issue as been resolved I really don't see myself using any of my other scopes. As others have mentioned before, this scope really shows you what it can do when you feed it a nice dark sky. I took the scope out to the Florida Everglades with my observing pals Sergio and Maykel. Sergio has a superb 16" Zambuto dob and while there is no substitute for aperture I was quite surprised (aside from image scale) at how well the 7" refractor kept up with the dob on most objects. From my urban backyard double stars, planets and deep sky via video imaging are a joy night after night, despite some sessions with less than optimal seeing conditions. I doubt there will be many of these coming up for sale unless it involves some kind of financial distress. It truly is a very special telescope and one that years from now (has to earn its stripes ) will dovetail nicely into my collection of venerable antique telescopes.

When you get ready to mount the wheels you will have to pull the two corner protectors. No big deal, just pull them out slowly to prevent damage to the vinyl covering. Once you get the wheels you will see why, but I flipped the bolt that holds the tire in place. I used liquid nails between the wheels and the case. Just wanted to make sure these were never coming off. Wood screws sizes #8 x 1/2" and #8 x 5/8" were used depending on proximity of their placement relative to the OTA. However, neither screw size penetrated the box all the way. I made the decision to put the wheels on the lens side. This just happens to work better for me given where I store the scope. If you have any reservations about the screws penetrating the case stick the wheels on the focuser side of the case.

Clear skies,

Angel

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

#5744095 - 03/19/13 09:56 PM

Angel, great to hear you are enjoying that 175! And thanks for posting this solution and the mounting tips. I am ordering a set of these tonight.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

#5744290 - 03/20/13 12:54 AM

Quote:

Joe - Congratulations on your scope and looking forward to a first light report. Now that the mobility issue as been resolved I really don't see myself using any of my other scopes. As others have mentioned before, this scope really shows you what it can do when you feed it a nice dark sky. I took the scope out to the Florida Everglades with my observing pals Sergio and Maykel. Sergio has a superb 16" Zambuto dob and while there is no substitute for aperture I was quite surprised (aside from image scale) at how well the 7" refractor kept up with the dob on most objects. From my urban backyard double stars, planets and deep sky via video imaging are a joy night after night, despite some sessions with less than optimal seeing conditions. I doubt there will be many of these coming up for sale unless it involves some kind of financial distress. It truly is a very special telescope and one that years from now (has to earn its stripes ) will dovetail nicely into my collection of venerable antique telescopes.

Thanks for the cool report. FWIW reports about this scope and other big refractors are always interesting and great to read, including how they compare to dobs!!

Out of curiousity, how was the sharpness of the image compared to the Zambuto? How about the overall, uh, "gorgeousness" of the image in comparison? (I assume the Zambuto was better/much better on contrast...)

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: mark8888]
      #5744366 - 03/20/13 02:06 AM

Angel, welcome to Cloudy Night buddy. It was about time!!!

aztrodog

#5745392 - 03/20/13 03:26 PM

Of course the AP KILLED the Zambuto in all objects!

Kidding aside, comparing two very different scopes on any given night is meaningless. Refractors yield very high contrast images which is what allowed it to do as well as it did. For instance we looked at M1 and it was very close (aside from image scale) to the Zambuto. M81 and M82 was gorgeous in the same field of an 31 Nagler. 50 feet away the Zambuto was showing awesome detail in the core of M82 due to its larger aperture. Sergio's scope also gave us great views of the Horsehead and Thor's helmet.

I would not rank one scope as better than the other, just a different visual experience. I'm just thankful for the great privilege to hang out with Sergio and Maykel enjoying the views provided by these great instruments.

Sergio - I hear you, but hanging out here takes time away from other stuff. So, doubt I can devote too much time to the forums. Hey, now that I have wheels on the AP we can have a telescope race like the bed races in Coconut Grove.

Clear skies,

Angel

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

#5746015 - 03/20/13 07:13 PM

Quote:

Hey, now that I have wheels on the AP we can have a telescope race like the bed races in Coconut Grove

Sounds like a plan

plav1959
sage

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: Central Florida
      #5746192 - 03/20/13 08:35 PM

Sorry Angel but the fat tires and fancy rims on Sergio's Starstructure will leave you in the dust!

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

#5746331 - 03/20/13 09:23 PM

Quote:

Sergio has a superb 16" Zambuto dob and while there is no substitute for aperture I was quite surprised (aside from image scale) at how well the 7" refractor kept up with the dob on most objects.

Quote:

Kidding aside, comparing two very different scopes on any given night is meaningless. Refractors yield very high contrast images which is what allowed it to do as well as it did. For instance we looked at M1 and it was very close (aside from image scale) to the Zambuto. M81 and M82 was gorgeous in the same field of an 31 Nagler. 50 feet away the Zambuto was showing awesome detail in the core of M82 due to its larger aperture. Sergio's scope also gave us great views of the Horsehead and Thor's helmet.

I would not rank one scope as better than the other, just a different visual experience.

Actually that is a meaningful comparison, thanks.

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/10

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: mark8888]
      #5761277 - 03/27/13 08:48 PM Attachment (71 downloads)

The last two Astrofests in Kankakee I was priviledged to look thru an old 1987 6" AP f/12 Superplanetary and no telescope has beaten the views of Neptune in that thing. It makes our club's 12" SCT in our observatory seem like junk.

From what I've been told AP has only improved their optics over the years and I can't see how anything could be an improvement over the scope I looked thru. Astro Physics in my opinion is the closest thing to perfection.

I was lucky to buy my 6" AP for a song last year but my eye's were really bad until my heart surgery corrected the problem of high blood pressure and blood vessels bursting.

I saw one of these beautiful scopes at NEAIC last year and the folks at AP were very friendly.

Mark

Paul Hyndman
sage

#5764218 - 03/29/13 10:58 AM

Quote:

Love the AP175, hate moving its bulky case around. Here is my solution in case anybody is interested:

- Two Penn-Elcom W8375K outriggers about $40 shipped.

Angel

Thanks for the great suggestion, Angel!

I plan to plonk them on two of my larger AP cases, and was pleasantly surprised to find the shipping charges are waived for orders exceeding $50 (the extra set brought the tab to just over $50; only ten bucks more to add the second set... WooHoo!)

timmbottoni
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/25/05

Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA
      #5764558 - 03/29/13 12:31 PM

Amazing telescope - great pictures!

Enjoy!!!

Timm

Neptune

Reged: 04/16/07

Loc: Arizona
      #6211026 - 11/23/13 10:26 AM

I just received scope number 52. It was a very long wait but worth every minute. I think I was the last one to get one of these incredible scopes. I'm not saying 52 was the last to be produced (I heard AP does not always ship numerically), just saying I just got mine this past Thursday. It is very intimadating...
David

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Neptune]
      #6211100 - 11/23/13 11:01 AM

Borrow someone's 180 f/9 EDT for a while. The 175 f/8 will seem easier and a 155 f/7 will almost feel like an AP Traveler.

Be sure to leave your shirt out over your belt buckle to avoid scratching the OTA's paint. Also watch out for jacket zippers.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

#6211320 - 11/23/13 12:42 PM

And take off any rings on your fingers. I always take off my wedding band because it takes a tight grip and I'm afraid of scratching the OTA.

It's an amazing telescope. You will now be spoiled to other telescopes.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #6211642 - 11/23/13 03:35 PM

Quote:

And take off any rings on your fingers. I always take off my wedding band because it takes a tight grip and I'm afraid of scratching the OTA.

It's an amazing telescope. You will now be spoiled to other telescopes.

Rings, watch, zippers, rivets on jeans, et. I'm the same way and protect my scopes with extreme diligence. My WO scopes still look new after many years of use. I would be super vigilant if I had a AP scope in my arsenal.

steven40

Reged: 02/01/12

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: SteveG]
      #6211805 - 11/23/13 05:24 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

That's so funny! I secretly believed I was the only one to do this stuff when handling my 160 and 130GT. But after 35 years and putting on "some" additional weight, the only way I can get the wedding ring off is to cut it off.

Hmmmmm.....

Steve

Joe C
sage

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: steven40]
      #6212181 - 11/23/13 08:54 PM

Congratulations!!! I am still wowed every time I use mine. It is truly a lifetime scope. Make sure you share it with others as the ooohs and aaaahs add to the enjoyment as well support the artists wishes to put these out to those that will appreciate real art.

Edited by Joe C (11/25/13 01:07 AM)

Neptune

#6212897 - 11/24/13 10:04 AM

Thanks guys for the tips! I am so worried about scratching the thing, or worse yet, dropping it! It's pouring rain here, so no first light, plus I need to get a dovetail plate in order to mount it. OK, so now the questions... I have a CGE for now (strickly visual) what length dovetail plate would be ideal? The plate will have to be a Losmandy (4" wide) style. I've been told anything from 16 to 24 inches long.

Is it me or is the 175 so much larger than a 160? I saw some pic's on the web that compares the two, but seems to me the 175 is freek'in huge. That being said, I was comming from a TEC140.

Plus, what happened to the cheaper corner castors? I can see these being in my future! The link is not valid anyore?

David

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

#6213508 - 11/24/13 03:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys for the tips! I am so worried about scratching the thing, or worse yet, dropping it! It's pouring rain here, so no first light, plus I need to get a dovetail plate in order to mount it. OK, so now the questions... I have a CGE for now (strickly visual) what length dovetail plate would be ideal? The plate will have to be a Losmandy (4" wide) style. I've been told anything from 16 to 24 inches long.

Is it me or is the 175 so much larger than a 160? I saw some pic's on the web that compares the two, but seems to me the 175 is freek'in huge. That being said, I was comming from a TEC140.

Plus, what happened to the cheaper corner castors? I can see these being in my future! The link is not valid anyore?

David

The AP175EDF is a monster when compared to the TEC 140. Heck, the AP175EDF is still a monster when compared to the AP155EDF! Don't know about the AP160, since I don't have one.
"Strickly"? Would that be "strictly" visual? I use a 16" plate and it is more than sufficient for visual or imaging, a 24 inch is definitely overkill. I suspect a 12 inch plate would be sufficient other than being restrictive on being able to have room to slide the dovetail plate in the saddle for balancing.

steven40

Reged: 02/01/12

#6213737 - 11/24/13 06:01 PM

Thanks Joe,

I do really enjoy sharing views with my friends. Normally I have a C11 side-by-side with the 160; put the 130 on for a photo op!

Originally I'd hoped to use the 130 as a travel scope; maybe on a Losmandy G11 (visual use only). It's starting to look like (for various reasons) that isn't going to pan out.

So I'm considering keeping the 160 in my roll-off obs, and letting the 130GT go.

Sorry for the OT.

Steve

Neptune

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: M13 Observer]
      #6213905 - 11/24/13 07:30 PM

I guess I should have said only visual no imaging. I was thinking of a Losmandy DUP plate. It's 14" long 3/4 thick and weights about 2.4 lbs.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

#6213922 - 11/24/13 07:43 PM

Why not Astro Physics 16 inch dovetail plate (SBD16)?

It's what I use and it's just like everything AP makes.....excellent quality.

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

#6214110 - 11/24/13 09:32 PM

The SBD16 is nice... perfect with the 175

Joe C
sage

#6214233 - 11/24/13 11:03 PM

The only question I have seen come up is that of the width of the SBD16 and will it fit in a CGE. I agree they are the best. I have 2. Originally I had 2 of the new Losmandy styles and they worked fine as they are MUCH thicker than the original version. I just preferred the AP version.

Since I no longer have the Losmandy dovetails, I do not have one to measure. If both are the same width and you have neither, I say spend the few extra dollars and get the SBD16.

Neptune

#6214274 - 11/24/13 11:35 PM

The AP SBD is 5" wide, the Losmandy DUP is the standard 4" wide. The AP will not fit the CGE mount. I know I would love to get an AP mount, but I have to pay off the 175EDF first! The CGE may be pushed to the limit, I'll have to wait and see.

Again, does anyone know what happened to the cheaper castors???

David

Edited by Neptune (11/25/13 12:04 AM)

Joe C
sage

#6214357 - 11/25/13 12:58 AM

I got mine from Markertek but the are no longer listed. Here is a source.

http://www.diyroadcasesstore.com/external-corner-caster/

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/06

Loc: Central Coast California
      #6215129 - 11/25/13 01:19 PM

I found and placed an order with TCH in Buffalo, NY for two of corner castors similar to the previously mentioned ones.

TRANS CONTINENTAL HARDWARE,INC - TCH
TCH INSIDE SALES USA
1370 WILLIAM ST., SUITE 4, BUFFALO,NY 14206 Phone: 416-299-0089 Fax: 416-299-3255 Web: www.tchweb.com

Item: Corner Caster (Zinc)
Item No.: 511-2294800
$13.26 each

Neptune

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Peter Natscher]
      #6216159 - 11/25/13 09:35 PM

Thanks guys, lots of good ideas here.
David

star dropModerator
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #6216260 - 11/25/13 10:33 PM

Have there been subsequent observations? Or perhaps a picture of the business end might be a nice touch?

Neptune

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: star drop]
      #6218346 - 11/26/13 11:06 PM

No observations yet, it's been rainy here in AZ and waiting on a dovetail plate. It's just been sitting snug-as-a-bug in it's case. Pics to come.

Dwight56

#6222114 - 11/28/13 06:25 PM

WE have tonight and tomorrow night looking good to try out your new AP 175

Neptune

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Dwight56]
      #6222638 - 11/29/13 12:45 AM Attachment (34 downloads)

Still waiting on the dovetail plate... I did finally take th scope out of it's cozy case and gave it the once over. The quality is beyond anything I have ever owned, It is right up there with some Swiss watches I used to own. EVERYTHING about the scope is top notch. I see why some are so carefull about belt buckles and rings. It would be a shame to scratch it. The objective glass has the number 52 writen on the edge of what looks to be the front element. The focuser is a beast. My old TEC140 had a 3-1/2" Feather Touch, but this one has a 4". It is way over kill for visual observing. In this reguard it is kind of wasted for the type of observing I'll be doing (no imaging). A 2.7 would have been just fine. So far, the only down side is the weight and the large diameter of the tube. Doing a comparison, the 160 has a tube diameter of only 6-1/2 inches whereas the 175 has a tube diameter of 8" I am left wondering if that is the only size aluminum tube that is available for the near 7 inchers. I see the TEC180FL uses the same size large tube and Ditto for their 160ED/FL line they drop back to a 6.5" tube as well.

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

#6222661 - 11/29/13 12:59 AM

I never thought I'd be interested in imaging. That ship has sailed.

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

#6222710 - 11/29/13 01:52 AM

> The focuser is a beast.
> It is way over kill for visual observing.

It's the best. My TEC FT3545 takes some threading of fine pitch, large diameter threads to switch from visual clamp over to field flattener. It is never fun and difficult to get started threading right especially in the cold.

The AP 4" focuser dovetail clamp is simply awesome. I could switch the AP175 from visual to photographic with field flattener 10 times in the time it takes me to reconfigure the FT3545 focuser.

I hear where you are coming from of course, but never say never.

Neptune

#6223520 - 11/29/13 02:19 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

Just ordered a Losmandy DAP6/7 dovetail plate from OPT (clearence item) at substancial savings plus free shipping for the Christmas Holidays! Who does not like to save money?
I am asuming the field flattener is in the smaller of the 2 boxes. Have not opened it yet. Is there any benifit to using the flatener visually? (sorry newbe question).
David

Edited by Neptune (11/29/13 02:40 PM)

Erik Bakker
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/06

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
      #6223602 - 11/29/13 03:05 PM

The bigger clearance of the tube in your 175 means it will have stabler images sooner than with a tube with less clearance. So that is good for visual use. And the 4" focuser will help in balancing the massive triplet lens, thus shortening the distance from the eyepiece to the tube rings, which means a shorter swing arc for the eyepieces. Another plus for a visual observer

Enjoy that marvelous scope and post a short first light report asap

Neptune

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Erik Bakker]
      #6224212 - 11/29/13 09:06 PM

>The bigger clearance of the tube in your 175 means it will have stabler images sooner than with a tube with less clearance. So that is good for visual use. And the 4" focuser will help in balancing the massive triplet lens, thus shortening the distance from the eyepiece to the tube rings, which means a shorter swing arc for the eyepieces. Another plus for a visual observer<

Never thought about that. OK I'm more convinced now. I did forget about the balancing issue. Dovetail supposed to be here Wed. Phoenix skies are not the best from what I've seen. That is what partially got me motivated to jump on the opportunity to get this particular size scope. For the money I could have gone much larger in diameter with other designs, but I could never really use that much aperture for detailed planetery viewing, not to mention the light pollution. Full report on it's way...

star dropModerator
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #6224799 - 11/30/13 09:16 AM

A three or four inch barrel diameter eyepiece would also help with balancing.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

#6224802 - 11/30/13 09:18 AM

Quote:

Is there any benifit to using the flatener visually? (sorry newbe question).
David

No, it's not designed for visual use.

Patrik Iver
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/29/03

Loc: Kaarina, Finland
      #6225488 - 11/30/13 04:21 PM

Quote:

So far, the only down side is the weight and the large diameter of the tube. Doing a comparison, the 160 has a tube diameter of only 6-1/2 inches whereas the 175 has a tube diameter of 8" I am left wondering if that is the only size aluminum tube that is available for the near 7 inchers. I see the TEC180FL uses the same size large tube and Ditto for their 160ED/FL line they drop back to a 6.5" tube as well.

While I'm not lucky enough to ever have seen a 175 EDF up close, I would guess that the tube is machined/turned, i.e. made from a thick wall tube "billet" into whatever dimension the designer thought was best. Atleast my 130 EDF GT is made that way, and I'd expect the big brother to be similarly made. Therefore I have a hard time believing that availability of thin-wall "standard" tubing would have anything to do with the chosen tube diameter.

I could be wrong of course, in which case I'm sure someone will correct me....

Edit:
I think I'm right, as the photo some posts above shows a large number of small baffle ridges similar to what the 130 uses.

Edited by Patrik Iver (11/30/13 04:24 PM)

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Re: First Light Astro-Physics 175 EDF new [Re: Patrik Iver]
      #6225524 - 11/30/13 04:46 PM

Patrik, you are correct. The tube is turned from a thicker piece of aluminum and there are numerous baffles down the entire length of the tube.

Neptune

#6244243 - 12/10/13 08:43 AM

Still no first light to report. The rings don't match up to the Losmandy plate adapters... go figure. The rings must be older (bought used off another Astro site) In the process of drilling the rings with 60mm spacing, which is one of the choices used on the adapter. Cloudy but clearing up, getting close to actually using this thing!

Neptune

#6246194 - 12/11/13 01:12 AM

See my first light report in the refractor section under Musings on a new AP 175EDF.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8694

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics