Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Variable Star Observing and Radio Astronomy

Pages: 1
Cepheus Elf

Reged: 08/01/10

Loc: Rainy, Cloudy Lancashire UK
How Faint Have You Seen Betelguese??
      #5654614 - 01/31/13 04:13 PM

I've been watching the sky for not far off forty years now and every winter when Orion stands high in the sky I always check on the brightness of Betelgeuse just to see if it's brightened or faded a little from the previous year. I've read it can get as faint as mag. 1.2 or so which would make it fainter than Aldebaran! The dimmest I have ever estimated it is around 0.8 which admittedly was a very rough naked eye estimate!!. How faint have you seen Betelgeuse?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: How Faint Have You Seen Betelguese?? new [Re: Cepheus Elf]
      #5655531 - 02/01/13 03:23 AM

These very bright red stars are very difficult to estimate visually, differential atmospheric absorbtion has a significant effect and Purkinje Effect runs riot.

Aldebaran is as good a comparison as any; the colour index is similar and, at least at some times of the year, Betelgeuse and Aldebaran are reasonably high and at a similar altitude. But I can't remember ever seeing Betelgeuse as faint as Aldebaran; sometimes only 0.2 mag brighter (say 0.7 visual) but sometimes more than 0.5 mag brighter. Some years (but not recently) it has appeared brighter than Rigel to me, but given the large discrepancy in colour and altitude I would not like to turn this into a magnitude estimate.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS) 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1136

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics