Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/17/07

Unistar Deluxe - WOW!
      #5654930 - 01/31/13 07:31 PM

Hi All,

I recently had the opportunity to pick up a unistar deluxe with encoders that was less than a year old on Amart. I mounted it on top of a Oberwerk tripod (Blem for $150), affixed my Meade 8 inch ACF SCT and placed it outside to cool.

Once everything cooled down I threw in the 21 MM ES 100 and started to scan around. After about 10 minutes I almost forgot I was looking thru a telescope. The whole Unistar mount glided around the sky like I was just standing there looking around. The mount and tripod simply disappeared and I just panned around the night sky.

I have never had the experience of simply forgetting about the mount and tripod and just looking around...too cool.

As far as the Unistar Deluxe, what a beautiful piece of engineering and construction that works flawlessly.

The oberwerk blem tripod is just a steel for the $150 you can get them for at Bigbinoculars.com . They said it was a blem but DW and I cannot find a blem one on it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scott in NC
Mad Hatter

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: Unistar Deluxe - WOW! new [Re: gaz-in]
      #5654986 - 01/31/13 08:13 PM

Glad to hear you're liking your new mount, Dan. I've had a Unistar Deluxe for 6 or 7 years now, and just like you, picked up a second one with encoders a few weeks ago. Mine is hooked up to a Sky Commander XP4 computer, which I really like, although I've only had a chance to use it once so far, given a combination of too many other obligations and inclement weather so far this winter. While I like star-hopping to targets, sometimes I don't have a whole lot of time to observe, and DSCs really help me to make the most of my observing time during those nights.

TomBot2000
journeyman

Reged: 01/22/09

Loc: Portland, OR, 97212
      #5656063 - 02/01/13 10:33 AM

Super curious: how are the encoders mated to this mount? Any chance someone could post a picture showing them? Very compact and very clean mount. Great choice.

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
      #5656151 - 02/01/13 11:10 AM

I got a Unistar Deluxe a year ago to use with my heavy as a stock C9.25. It's on a Sokkia tripod. I've been using it on planets with my 24 Brandon barlowed to 250X-340X. Tracking and carrying the scope on the mount are both very easy. David

Edited by dscarpa (02/01/13 02:32 PM)

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Unistar Deluxe - WOW! new [Re: TomBot2000]
      #5656153 - 02/01/13 11:12 AM Attachment (59 downloads)

It is an extremely clean mount. On mine they are all mounted internal. Here are some picts

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

#5656156 - 02/01/13 11:13 AM Attachment (49 downloads)

another pict

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

#5656160 - 02/01/13 11:14 AM Attachment (50 downloads)

One More

Scott in NC
Mad Hatter

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
      #5656299 - 02/01/13 12:44 PM

Nice pics! My encoders are mounted the same way.

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Unistar Deluxe - WOW! new [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5656337 - 02/01/13 01:10 PM

I just think it is an amazing mount.

It worked so smoothly and seamlessly. It was like the telescope was weightless and just floating in air. The part that really impressed me was once balanced and set, with the slightest of touch, the scope would just glide to where I wanted it then just float there.

It was like the mount and tripod were not even there.

I would think that is the highest praise for a mount...it just disappeared and I was lost in the views.

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
      #5657083 - 02/01/13 08:21 PM

I am glad to hear that you really like your UA Unistar deluxe mount. I own three UA altaz mounts and use them with my Meade 8" and 12" SCT's and my C14. I don't have the tracking, but star hop to my targets with the finder scope and some 10x50 binoculars and the S+T pocket sky atlas. I use both a Meade giant tripod and also a Celestron CGE tripod for the larger scopes. I also have a UA medium surveyor tripod for my 4.5" refractor and the M8. They are a good deal for the money

Bill

Gary Riley
sage

Reged: 12/01/11

Loc: White Bluff, TN
Re: Unistar Deluxe - WOW! new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #5657364 - 02/01/13 11:24 PM

Does the Unistar Deluxe fit a CG-4 tripod (1.75 inch stainless steel legs)?

TomBot2000
journeyman

Reged: 01/22/09

Loc: Portland, OR, 97212
Re: Unistar Deluxe - WOW! new [Re: Gary Riley]
      #5657437 - 02/02/13 12:16 AM

i am still wondering exactly how the rotary encoders are actually attached to the unistar. any chance you could pop photograph that? if it's complicated, just skip it, thanks. however, if it's at all like my microstar, its just a plastic cover and inside is a threaded rod, which is what i'm wondering about (how do encoders mech with a simple rod inside there). anyway thanks either way.
t

Happy Birthday Adam Taylor
insignificant bystander

Reged: 11/11/10

Loc: Arizona
Re: Unistar Deluxe - WOW! new [Re: Gary Riley]
      #5657640 - 02/02/13 07:02 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

Quote:

Does the Unistar Deluxe fit a CG-4 tripod (1.75 inch stainless steel legs)?

Yes. Here's a picture of my first Unistar showing how the tripod mounting post is machined to fit around the polar stud of an Orion SVP tripod (same as CG-4).

Larry Patriarca
Vendor (Universal Astronomics)

Reged: 01/05/05

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Unistar Deluxe - WOW! new [Re: Adam Taylor]
      #5658091 - 02/02/13 12:53 PM

For the UniStar, the azimuth encoder is a direct drive fitted on the end of the azimuth bolt. The altitude encoder is mounted to a bracket, and the threaded shaft and the encoder shaft are fitted with the same gear. The bracket is "sprung" a little bit to ensure a constant mesh and no slop. With no backlash, the 1 to 1 gearing is as good as direct drive.

For the MicroStar, both encoders are done similar to the UniStar altitude encoder, bracketed and geared 1 to 1.

Edited by Larry Patriarca (02/02/13 12:55 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
23 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1107

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics